Notices
New Members Check In! If you're new to MBworld!, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your Benz!!

Greetings to the group! WIS question.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 11:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
ML350 2006
Greetings to the group! WIS question.

I'm a newbie here, and to the MB ownership experience. I'm seeing refernces to various WIS, code readers, etc. and it's confusing. I see disc sets advertised on Ebay, various code readers at a wide range of prices. Lots of "free" downloads that look like virus farms. I want a reader that can see everything and reset everything, and a set of manuals that covers everything. I'm not a computer expert. What's the best/ easiest to use thing out there?
Old 03-18-2018, 07:46 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,052 Likes on 973 Posts
1999 E300TD
WIS is not a diagnostic tool, WIS=workshop information system-------you need a MB DAS Xentry to fully diagnose your vehicle,however prior to that you need to spend a couple of years studying WIS to learn your cars systems---then you will understand the diagnostic results and be able to repair the faults.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
ML350 2006
Thanks Plutoe. I knew I was asking about two things at once, I didn't make it very clear. I know I need the WIS (workshop manuals,) and also a diagnostic system. As you suggest, I want to start with the manuals. I'm confused by the different offerings, and want to make sure I'm buying the best, simplest-to-use option. I'm not tremendously computer-savvy, and need to have the most streamlined installation/ operation possible. I will get to the diagnostic system later. I have a basic code reader and a friendly independent shop that can help with diagnosis until I get my own system. I will appreciate any guidance the group can offer.