Notices
New Members Check In! If you're new to MBworld!, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your Benz!!

Intro, new to Mercedes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 08:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 Volvo V70R, 02 MB CLK55 AMG
Intro, new to Mercedes

Hello everyone,

I just recently purchased, less than 2 weeks ago, a used 2002 CLK 55 AMG, with 150k miles. Really happy with the car and the purchase, but now I have experienced an issue I am not sure how to resolve.

The key remote has been working normally for the first 9 days. On Sunday, it took multiple attempts to lock the car with the remote. I used the manual method (push down on the passenger side, use the key on driver's door; trunk remained unlocked.) I thought it was a weak battery but since it did eventually unlock, no big deal.

Tuesday I was completely locked out of the car for a time. The remote would not unlock the doors (I was at lunch) and couldn't get back in the car. The blade key in the fob would go in the door but would only turn to the rear (lock the door.) When attempting to turn the key to the left, it refused to budge, not a millimeter. The blade key would not even go halfway into the trunk lock, so that stayed locked.

Anyway, after about 5 minutes with multiple attempts at hitting the unlock button, the car unlocked and I was able to return to work.

Tonight I lowered all the windows and locked the car with the remote. I unlocked the car with the remote. Seemed to work okay, but now I am leery of taking it anywhere until I know what is going on.

So, my questions are:
What would prevent the blade key from turning left?
Is the blade key supposed to go all the way into the trunk lock and be able to unlock it? I don't think it is the spare key since it locks and unlocks the glove compartment. (The previous owner is supposed to send me 2 more keys and I should get them tomorrow.) The previous owner had never attempted to use the physical keys.

I have put WD40 on the key and inserted it multiple times into the lock, but it still won't turn left.
I have re-synced the key fob as best I can and it seems to work normally. But I still need to resolve the physical key issue.

Any tips or suggestions on a resolution?

Thanks for reading,
Robert
Old 04-06-2018, 11:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 Volvo V70R, 02 MB CLK55 AMG
Update

So I received two more key remotes and physical keys from the previous owner today (plus some receipts.)

The good news is that one of the physical keys can unlock the drivers side door. The other one would not. One of the key remotes had dead batteries and the other one worked and was able to unlock and lock the doors.
Neither key would fit into the trunk key slot more than halfway, same as my first key.
My conclusion is that my first key and one of the 'new' keys are duplicates and I have 1 original key, the one that opens the door. All three physical keys will open the glove compartment, so I don't think they are valet keys.
I'll have to investigate further in the morning as to why the trunk lock is jammed or blocked.
Old 11-11-2019, 05:59 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
e350 sport
I've been using a old empty Folgers coffee can for months for my fob and it works like a charm but I never leave my car in the driveway I always keep it in the garage
Old 11-11-2019, 06:38 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,925 Likes on 3,091 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Welcome! Please post a photo of the CLK. To rule one thing out, replace all batteries in the fobs. It doesn't address mechanical issues, but it's good practice.
Old 11-12-2019, 08:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 678 Likes on 643 Posts
2014 E350 also restored: 1969 Camaro convertible SS 1957 Chevy Belair 2dr hardtop
Welcome please post picture of your ride
Old 11-12-2019, 09:18 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,399 Likes on 2,844 Posts
2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by Mike Ross
I've been using a old empty Folgers coffee can for months for my fob and it works like a charm but I never leave my car in the driveway I always keep it in the garage
Old 11-12-2019, 10:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 Mercedes-Benz E320 4matic w211
Hi! I just bought a one owner 2004 Mercedes-Benz E320 4matic w211 and it is a nightmare! Going to try and sell it fast because I can't seem to fix any of the issues. I have been reading forums for the past 5 days with no luck. I really need help with the P0410 code to pass NYS inspection. If I dont in 15 days I can no longer legally drive the vehicle.