Notices
New Members Check In! If you're new to MBworld!, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your Benz!!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 ML500 "start error"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 ML500
2002 ML500 "start error"

bought this truck a four months ago. It would not start sometimes within week of purchase so I replaced the battery and have not had an issue since. 2 days ago it started normally, I drove for 20mins and went into a store, came out and tried starting it and it crank for half a sec and then nothing. I towed it home, replaced the starter thinking that was the issue as the braided cable that connects the starter motor and solenoid was corroded through. Didn't solve the problem. I have 12.4 v at battery, voltage at starter, grounds are clean. tried swapping k8 relay as well as jumping pins 30 and 86 in k8relay slot and will not start. ive noticed I have "start error' reading on odometer when turning the key. I dont know if this error message was coming up the whole time as I did not notice it until after I had towed it home and swapped the starter and various other tests. I tried both sets of keys I have (switchblade style keys) neither worked.i tried jiggling the transponder ring with both sets of keys while trying to start it as well. not%100 sure but I think I smelled a faint burnt plastic odor from k8 relay with key turned as well but not sure. idk what else to check.
Old 05-07-2018, 12:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 ML500
No more Start Error fault in odometer display today but same no clicking no cranking issue. Starter I just put in Friday is remanufactured so I'm going to pull it out and bench test it as ive heard remans can be faulty even though they triple test before shipping