Notices
New Members Check In! If you're new to MBworld!, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your Benz!!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trigger Point Conumdrum

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 06:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLC 450
Trigger Point Conumdrum

Hmmm (1973 Mercedes SLC 450)
Newbie here - Please go easy :-) I inadvertently unhooked the trigger point connector ( It fell apart whilst trying to clean it -see photo) and in my stupidity may have hooked it up the wrong way. I have simply hooked corresponding colour to corresponding colour (except for the Yellow/blue wire which only has a yellow wire from the distributor - NOT the expected blue).
Anyway, whilst the engine coughed and spluttered for a little while now it won't fire at all.
I'm wondering whether I may have damaged something by mucking around (trying different sequences of connections) ? For eg: a fuse, coil, points or something more sinister.
Can anyone please suggest a 'check list'
of diagnosis so that I might cure this conundrum.
Thank you
Peter
Old 05-17-2018, 04:48 AM

SLC 450
Eureka - I hope

Hi,
I might have just figured out the problem. Correct me if I'm wrong but it appears that someone has wired the trigger points up with the wrong colours - Which means when I was trying to connect the wires from the ECU (Matching colour to colour) they would in fact NOT match. Could you please check the photo and see what you think???
Regards
Peter
Old 08-02-2018, 08:45 AM

SLC 450
So I finally got the car to run. Still don't really understand how? cleaned 2 plugs and adjusted the gap on 1. Problem is you have to have the throttle full on to start the car and then it will only idle for about 30 seconds. I've tried to adjust the air screw but whilst it fixed the idle rpm it still eventually stalled.
Could it be the throttle switch not adjusted properly ( I had to take this off to fix it)?
Or could it be the points not adjusted properly. It is idling at 5 Degrees BTDC but I can't adjust it anymore towards TDC as the stopper bolt stops the distributor moving?
Old 08-08-2018, 03:40 AM

SLC 450
Hallelujah,
After a seeming eternity I found the fault. Nothing wrong with the ECU or TPS or the TP. Two wires at the base of the joining connector (ECU and T/P) had frayed to the point that they were just holding on. I re-soldered and away it went. Well 7 of the 8. In the process I found that Injector 1, whilst receiving a pulse and having the correct resistance must be stuck - I will work on that next. But a big thank you to all of you. It goes to show how such a small thing can cause such a headache.
Signing off ( for a little while at least )
Peter
Thank you