Notices
New Members Check In! If you're new to MBworld!, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your Benz!!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old Car - New Member

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 07:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1984 190D 2.2L Diesel 5sp
Old Car - New Member

Hi all!

When I was doing my research and shopping for this car, my criteria were as follows:
1. It had to be dirt cheap.
2. It had to be in good condition overall with no rust, interior damage, or stuff like that.
3. It had to be consistently capable of 35mpg or better around town and on the highway.
4. It had to have a reputation for extreme reliability (the idea being that I would use this car for roadtrips including a bucket-list trip of driving from Deadhorse, AK to Yaviza, Panama).
5. It had to have a manual transmission with 5 or more speeds.
6. It had to have disc brakes, three-point seatbelts, and needed to be built recently enough to have been required to pass some form of mandated crash test when produced.
7. It had to be capable of highway speeds and have cruise control, a sunroof, and a comfortable interior (hello old-school MB leather).
8. It had to handle well and could NOT be front-wheel drive.
9. It had to be cool enough that I wouldn't be embarrassed taking it to the local cars & coffee.

How many cars can you think of that can fulfill all the items on that list? I found one: a 1984 190D 2.2L diesel, with a 5 speed box and a replica amg body kit.

I've got a question about tire rub which is awaiting moderation, but in the meantime, this is my car: