Notices
New Members Check In! If you're new to MBworld!, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your Benz!!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E43 AMG loses power in traffic - cannot discover why

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 01:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E43
E43 AMG loses power in traffic - cannot discover why

i have a 2017 AMG E43 (25,000 miles) which now on 3 seperate occasions has had the motor continue to run but no connection to the accelerator, Power Loss - i have had to drift to the side of the road, stop, turn engine off, and restart the car. This has happened twice on city streets and most recently while driving interstate highway. Very disturbing and now very dangerous, especially driving in multi-lane interstate highways.

Has anyone experienced anything similar? Dos anyone know what might be the cause?

Most recent time was 3 weeks ago when driving on Interstate 77, without warning, I had no connection between accelerator and engine. Complete loss of power! Fortunately i was driving in the far right lane so was able to pull off using the momentum of the speed of the car to the side of the road. Stopped, turned car off, restarted, and continued my trip. Within less than a mile, this happened again, Pull off, turn off, restart, continue trip. Within another mile or so, happened a 3rd time. Same sequence but this time i got off the immediate exit and returned home.

I get the following series of warning messages each time: see attachment. These warnings continuously cycle from one to the other until turn car off.

My dealer, who checked the vehicles computer when this happened months ago, ran their diagnostic program again to see what caused the problem this time. Their report is:
Story: 25732 Quick test found codes P2133800, P2138F1, P061BF1, P051200, P060C00. Found new software available for M.E., Transmission, and power train control units. Updated software in those control units and attempted to test drive to duplicate. Drove vehicle for 3 days without fault.

The fact this has occurred 3 times and has reoccurred is concerning given the real safety hazard and the risks to myself and others when the vehicle looses power and i have only one choice, to find a place to pull over while in traffic. The thought of highway driving with heavy vehicle and truck traffic is a problem. I consider this a serious safety risk and real dangerous hazard.

Will appreciate any info you might have if have had anything similar happen with your vehicle.

Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: docx
Doc1.docx (324.3 KB, 67 views)
Old 05-01-2021, 06:50 PM

2017 Mercedes E-43. AMG
Originally Posted by robertvitale
i have a 2017 AMG E43 (25,000 miles) which now on 3 seperate occasions has had the motor continue to run but no connection to the accelerator, Power Loss - i have had to drift to the side of the road, stop, turn engine off, and restart the car. This has happened twice on city streets and most recently while driving interstate highway. Very disturbing and now very dangerous, especially driving in multi-lane interstate highways.

Has anyone experienced anything similar? Dos anyone know what might be the cause?

Most recent time was 3 weeks ago when driving on Interstate 77, without warning, I had no connection between accelerator and engine. Complete loss of power! Fortunately i was driving in the far right lane so was able to pull off using the momentum of the speed of the car to the side of the road. Stopped, turned car off, restarted, and continued my trip. Within less than a mile, this happened again, Pull off, turn off, restart, continue trip. Within another mile or so, happened a 3rd time. Same sequence but this time i got off the immediate exit and returned home.

I get the following series of warning messages each time: see attachment. These warnings continuously cycle from one to the other until turn car off.

My dealer, who checked the vehicles computer when this happened months ago, ran their diagnostic program again to see what caused the problem this time. Their report is:
Story: 25732 Quick test found codes P2133800, P2138F1, P061BF1, P051200, P060C00. Found new software available for M.E., Transmission, and power train control units. Updated software in those control units and attempted to test drive to duplicate. Drove vehicle for 3 days without fault.

The fact this has occurred 3 times and has reoccurred is concerning given the real safety hazard and the risks to myself and others when the vehicle looses power and i have only one choice, to find a place to pull over while in traffic. The thought of highway driving with heavy vehicle and truck traffic is a problem. I consider this a serious safety risk and real dangerous hazard.

Will appreciate any info you might have if have had anything similar happen with your vehicle.

Thanks
Hello:
I just read this and had the same thing happen to me 1 week ago. I was on Interstate 5 in California in the middle lane of 5 lanes and the power just stopped in the car. Pushing the gas pedal did nothing and the whole car just shut off and all the lights on the dash board came on. The car came to a slow stop and I was now stuck in traffic with cars and trucks rushing by me at 70MPH. I called SOS Mercedes and police had to stop the freeway and tow me over to get me off the freeway. I was sure I was about to be killed. HORRIBLE situation. The Mercedes dealer has had the car for a week and said "SDS performed short test and found stored faults in ME Control Unit (POO8A00 Fuel Pressure circuit Low Pressure) (P008700 Fuel Pressure unit the system to low. Tested system and found to pass inspected fuel system and found all OK. Found no leaks and all these passed at this time. Found new soft ware for fuel control unit and performed software update and cleared faults road test and found faults to not return all working as designed. Test drove vehicle 30m miles. All working as designed. No Issues."
The dealership wanted me to take the car home and I said no way. I want to know WHY this happened and there has to be more to this story and they need to dig deeper to find out WHY this happened to me. Maybe Fuel Pump issues or Electrical?? I do not feel safe till they prove to me the car will not do this again. The loss of power in the middle of a California Freeway will cause a pile up and deadly consequences.
My question is to Robert..... Did you ever figure out why your car lost power?? I would really appreciate anyone's help or advice in this mess. I love the car but I can't have it do this again. The car has 35,000 miles on it. Thank you, Pat
Old 05-02-2021, 12:03 PM

E43
Originally Posted by predditt
Hello:
I just read this and had the same thing happen to me 1 week ago. I was on Interstate 5 in California in the middle lane of 5 lanes and the power just stopped in the car. Pushing the gas pedal did nothing and the whole car just shut off and all the lights on the dash board came on. The car came to a slow stop and I was now stuck in traffic with cars and trucks rushing by me at 70MPH. I called SOS Mercedes and police had to stop the freeway and tow me over to get me off the freeway. I was sure I was about to be killed. HORRIBLE situation. The Mercedes dealer has had the car for a week and said "SDS performed short test and found stored faults in ME Control Unit (POO8A00 Fuel Pressure circuit Low Pressure) (P008700 Fuel Pressure unit the system to low. Tested system and found to pass inspected fuel system and found all OK. Found no leaks and all these passed at this time. Found new soft ware for fuel control unit and performed software update and cleared faults road test and found faults to not return all working as designed. Test drove vehicle 30m miles. All working as designed. No Issues."
The dealership wanted me to take the car home and I said no way. I want to know WHY this happened and there has to be more to this story and they need to dig deeper to find out WHY this happened to me. Maybe Fuel Pump issues or Electrical?? I do not feel safe till they prove to me the car will not do this again. The loss of power in the middle of a California Freeway will cause a pile up and deadly consequences.
My question is to Robert..... Did you ever figure out why your car lost power?? I would really appreciate anyone's help or advice in this mess. I love the car but I can't have it do this again. The car has 35,000 miles on it. Thank you, Pat
pat
i did.
i have to contact my dealer to get the exact correct description of what the cause was and how corrected. will do this tomorrow and let you know.
in general the problem was the wire/electronics connecting the gas pedal to the fuel pump was defective (there is no old fashion linkage between pedal and carburator). it had to be replaced and that solved it.
i too feared, literally, for my life when i lost power in the middle of traffic on the interstate when traffic flow was minimum 70 mph and no one expects a powerless car to be part of the flow!!
my cell is 330-284-4701 if you want to call me

my mercedes dealer is

kempthorne motors
canton ohio
the mercedes service tech who dealt with my many experiences and ultimate success is Rich Lanning
his cell number is 330-580-4939
kempthorne main number is 330-452-6511

bob
Old 05-02-2021, 07:15 PM

2017 Mercedes E-43. AMG
Originally Posted by robertvitale
pat
i did.
i have to contact my dealer to get the exact correct description of what the cause was and how corrected. will do this tomorrow and let you know.
in general the problem was the wire/electronics connecting the gas pedal to the fuel pump was defective (there is no old fashion linkage between pedal and carburator). it had to be replaced and that solved it.
i too feared, literally, for my life when i lost power in the middle of traffic on the interstate when traffic flow was minimum 70 mph and no one expects a powerless car to be part of the flow!!
my cell is 330-284-4701 if you want to call me

my mercedes dealer is

kempthorne motors
canton ohio
the mercedes service tech who dealt with my many experiences and ultimate success is Rich Lanning
his cell number is 330-580-4939
kempthorne main number is 330-452-6511

bob
Dear Bob:
I am thrilled to hear back from you. . I just had a woman's intuition there was more to this problem than the dealership was telling me. Thank God I did not take the car as they wanted me to do. It sounds perfectly reasonable that the wire/electronics connecting to gas pedal to the fuel pump is defective. Your knowledge and help will certainly guide me in the right direction to getting the car fixed properly. I will be talking to the manager of the dealership this week and will bring this to their attention. The dealership I am at is called Hoehn Honda in Carlsbad, Ca. In the first note I wrote to you I didn't mention all that happened. When I was in Monterey Ca. for Easter I had my car serviced there for 40,000 mile "B" Check. It cost $904.00 and most of that was labor. They changed the oil and did other things too. Well, back to the story. Upon getting the car towed to my home, the next day there was a Pizza size oil spill underneath it. After seeing that, I had it towed to the dealership. They did find out that the dealer in Monterey had not screwed the oil plug in correctly and I was loosing oil all the way home. I was 2 quarts LOW when the loss of power happened. They told me the car holds 6 quarts so I was not totally out. But, their mistake at the Monterey dealership did not help matters any. It's been so hard dealing with this mess. If you can find out at your convenience what your dealer actually did so that I can tell the manager here I would be so grateful to you. The exact papers and notes would be so helpful to me. My email: patredditt@aol.com. Cell: 760-613-6234. I may try to call you too. God Bless and thank you so very much for helping me.
. Pat
Old 05-19-2021, 09:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2020 C43 AMG Coupe
I have a 2020 C43 coupe with 25000 miles on it and the exact thing just happened to me. I was just starting to accelerate up a slight hill and lost all power. I couldn't even make it to the side of the road. I had to stop and put my hazard lights on. Lucky I didn't get rear-ended. I turned the car off and waited a few seconds then restarted it and it ran fine. I took it straight to my dealer who ran the diagnostics and they told me nothing came up. They didn't seem to believe me. Now I'm worried it will happen again in rush hour traffic. Did you ever find a solution?
Old 05-19-2021, 10:55 PM

2017 Mercedes E-43. AMG
E43 AMG Mercedes

Originally Posted by drpaulg
I have a 2020 C43 coupe with 25000 miles on it and the exact thing just happened to me. I was just starting to accelerate up a slight hill and lost all power. I couldn't even make it to the side of the road. I had to stop and put my hazard lights on. Lucky I didn't get rear-ended. I turned the car off and waited a few seconds then restarted it and it ran fine. I took it straight to my dealer who ran the diagnostics and they told me nothing came up. They didn't seem to believe me. Now I'm worried it will happen again in rush hour traffic. Did you ever find a solution?
Hello
my car is still at the shop as I type this and they are figuring out what’s wrong with it. It’s almost been a month. I’ve opened a case up with Mercedes in Atlanta and so has the dealership. What they think it is right now is something to do with the gas in the two fuel tanks not transferring from one side to the other. In other words, I had been driving for six hours from Monterey when my episode happened. I had 1/3 of a tank of gas left. What I have found out is that the car has two tanks in it, one on the left side and one on the right. There is a mechanism that does fuel transfer and my car was not getting the fuel transferred from the left side to the right. So they have ordered parts to replace the fuel transfer system in the car. That is also why the tow truck driver put 1 gallon of gas in the car to the right side and the car started up. But it could not get the gas from the left side. I hope you understand what I’m saying. I am not great with cars but I’m trying to figure this out. By the end of this week or early next week I will have the full report on what they did to fix the situation in my car. When I get all the paperwork I will submit it here on the website for all to see. You can also call me I’m on West Coast time. 760-613-6234.
Patricia.