Notices
New Members Check In! If you're new to MBworld!, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your Benz!!

GLE 350 top cracking

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-23-2018, 08:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gle350 sl550
GLE 350 top cracking

My name is dick and I joined the forum to see if anybody else with a GLE350 has had any issues with the glass top breaking up. It is the piece located on top just behind the windshield. Looks about 8" wide and spans the roof.
I have the sliding sunroof but this is not part of it. Seems like this should have made from sheet metal/????? The breakup up looks like a stress break. Mercedes says a rock hit it. Anything is possible but a rock seems very unlikly.
This happened in town with normal driving.( not much rocks flying around here in lake Havasu Az.)I'm thinking it is a design flaw. My background is mechanical design and have been around the block quite a few times. Anybody else heard of this issue????
Old 11-25-2018, 12:05 PM

Received 139 Likes on 124 Posts
2015 ML350, 2021 BMW X3, 1991 190E
Not an expert in your issue, but there have been several posts on this site , especially from areas like AZ with sunroof cracks due to heat and others due to stones. Not a common issue but not unheard of either. Also, it is not restricted to just GLEs, same issue on MLs. Search the site. Good luck