Notices
New Members Check In! If you're new to MBworld!, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your Benz!!

Newbie and oldie-moving to 07E350 from99E320

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 07:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E350 base
Red face Newbie and oldie-moving to 07E350 from99E320

My dependable 99 E320 has been semi-retired to my company as a backup loaner for employees needing a car for our business here in Seattle. Purchased in 2003 with under 45,000 miles I made the move to its new use at 350,000 miles and in reasonably good shape. The vehicle should make MB proud as the most expensive repair was for an ignition switch replacement that could only be done by the dealer and ended up costing just over $2,000 for all the involved requirements (security system is the reason). At 350,000 miles:
  • all engine original and burning about 3/4 qt per 5,000 miles, only minor stuff and regular maintenance; engine compressiion and performance is excellent avg 26 mpg,,highway commuter
  • all transmission original - regular maintenance and filter replacements - no slippage but these transmissions were known for being a little clunky - simply now a little more clunky!
  • Cooling system original except for replacement of one water pump
  • Power steering - now a small lead but used about a cup of fluid last 20,000 miles.
  • since you'll sense regular maintenance cycle with regular parts and required fluids, not much else of note
  • purchased and ran recommended last 15 years all season Michelin tires since first change from originals around 60,000 miles and sets have averaging about 75K miles per set.
  • one alignment needed during life of vehicle.
  • last repair made at 340,000 miles to replace a leaking power steering hose
  • the car never abandoned me on a mechanical at the side of the road - never.
  • he's earned his retirement.
  • Just bought my sister in law's 07 E350 with 85K miles - feels like new!