Notices
New Members Check In! If you're new to MBworld!, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your Benz!!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie here from NC

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 04:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 CLK 500 Cabriolet
Newbie here from NC

Hi all,
I'm a newbie to Mercedes but not to German cars. I had a Porsche 944S for about 4 years, then sold it for a Porsche 951 ( 944 turbo ) which I kept for 10 years.
The turbo didn't give me a bit of trouble other than routine maintenance like brakes, tires battery....etc. I had some issues with the 944S though.
I was not driving it much anymore (I only took it out on Sunday) so I decided to sell it about 10 months ago and haven't had a "toy" since [img]images/smilies/smile.gif
I just picked up a 2006 Mercedes CLK 500 without knowing a darn thing about them.
Cosmetically it is almost flawless but it does have a couple of issues.
I hope that I didn't get in over my head.....:/

The first being that I only have one key fob. The spare that was given to me...supposedly only needing a battery, turned out to be bad.
Fortunately I have some connections for getting a couple of new key fobs made up.

The keyless entry does not work although the keyless start does work.
I was told not to use the "lock" button on the self closing trunk because it sets off problems...what kind of problems, I don't know because I'm afraid to press it. I can lock the car with the key fob.
My main concern is that it appears to be leaking fluid at a stop with engine running. I was in my driveway with the engine running for about 15 minutes and after putting the car inside, I noticed wetness on the ground... [img]images/smilies/frown.gif
The "check system coolant" light did come on also.

OK, so that's my story. How much trouble am I in right now?
I have always worked on my Porsches myself and have never taken it in for any kind of service including replacing a broken valve spring and timing belts.
I'm hoping that I can also work on this car myself or at the least not spend a fortune on repairs.

Other than those couple of issues the car drives like a dream. Very smooth, quiet and lots of power. It is also almost flawless cosmetically.

I will attach a photo...

PS...I noticed the wetness was lower front driver side engine compartment sort of where you would see radiator area but there's a lot of stuff in the way. I'll need to get a good light and try to take a photo.

Peter B

Last edited by peterjcb; 01-10-2019 at 05:08 PM.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:56 PM

Received 139 Likes on 124 Posts
2015 ML350, 2021 BMW X3, 1991 190E
Can help, but that a nice looking convertible for sure.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:41 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,831 Likes on 3,019 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Welcome! With your Porsche experience do you feel comfortable identifying the wetness between coolant and air conditioning condensation (water)? They are easy to distinguish.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 CLK 500 Cabriolet
Usually if it's just wetness from A/C it will evaporate pretty quickly especially around 60 degrees F.....This wetness took a good 24 hours to dissipate and I can still see the outline on concrete. The good thing is that I didn't notice it much today but just saw a little dripping in my garage. I can still drive with no problems so I will take it in somewhere to get it checked in the future.

I'm working on getting two additional key fobs as I only have one working one right now.

I did some research and learned the from 04 to 06 the aux input was a dealer installed option. I am ordering the $20 harness to hook up myself and while it's a bit or work it doesn't look like too much of a job to get my AUX input installed and eventually get a bluetooth module also.

As with all newly purchased vehicles it takes a while to get things sorted....I really do love the car!

Last edited by peterjcb; 01-11-2019 at 11:05 PM. Reason: photo
Old 01-12-2019, 11:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 678 Likes on 643 Posts
2014 E350 also restored: 1969 Camaro convertible SS 1957 Chevy Belair 2dr hardtop
Welcome nice looking ride