Notices
New Members Check In! If you're new to MBworld!, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your Benz!!

Just another Newbie

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 08:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 AMG C63 S
Just another Newbie

Hi All, was on the CTS-V message board since 2009, didn't have 15 post. I've already found a few threads I felt compelled to make a remark on so maybe this is the place I should have been all along. I've been in the Car Rental business since I was 17, just turned 59 this month. I reached my goal just a few years back of actually being able to buy what I want (within reason) every year and not have to rent it, although it is technically a rental car. I’ve had a lot of fun with that one over the years, when someone complimented me on whatever I was driving, I'd always say its a rental. My wife used to give me a hard time but I'd say baby, its the truth. Besides I don't like lying to people. From about from 2001 thru about 2007 I did the big SUV's as I had 3 kids. Well in 07 I finally looked around and realized the kids were all grown and there was no need to be driving around a living room. I'm old school and love a manual, so my first foray into something different was the newest style Vette at the time 2007. I liked them at first, did one in red and then silver, both had manuals, unlike the C63S all you had to do was pull a fuse to make them sound good.

But geez there was just no cool way to get in and out of them, none. Then there was almost no attention getting from one as these days I'm probably going get flamed but most are looked upon as an old person’s car. (FLAME AWAY). Don’t get me wrong I know Caddies are too, but somehow they seemed more age appropriate, it was like an age appropriate cool *** car. But I started with the V’s in 09 and fell in love with them. It had a cool factor that made me feel right at home. So I started buying a V every year from 2009 thru 2014, Silver with Dark gray wheels and yellow brembo's. I did something with the 2014 I've not done since I was 22 and got my first company car, which was to keep it more than a year and put over 30K miles on one. Eventually I kept the 2014 5 years and put 130K miles on it. The last one I actually modded a bit with a lower pulley and bigger injectors and catless full 3 inch exhaust system with a tune. It had just under 600 RWHP and sounded awesome. The biggest surprise to most people was the stick, whether they heard it change gears or looked in there and saw it.

The guy who purchased it was a rich younger guy with nothing but super cars. He said he had lambo's and ferraris and was interested in a daily driver that was interesting and different. He hit me back via text a few days later and said it was the most fun car he had ever driven, it didn't surprise me in the least, because I looked forward to getting in those cars every day up until the day I no longer had one. It had the seating position to make it easy in and easy out and it gives a different sensation when you are not sitting on the ground in a performance car. It was like being in my old 70 SS Chevelle at 16, which had a bench seat and a 4 speed, only 100 times better. But this thing at a nice restaurant actually got super car status and was parked out front with the valet guys. Sitting right there with the big boys.

But I had one of these C63’s show up on the lot one day that belonged to the corporation and almost pulled the trigger, it was an ABG group rental car which had 40K miles on it. But the car just did not do it for me. So I thought before I do this I’m going to see what else is out there. I found an off lease car with 17K miles that was an S model, with the 19 inch wheels and the glass top which for me seems somewhat hides the fact the A-Pillar kind of has a bubbly look to it. In addition, whoever had it treated it like it was their own and it was obviously garage kept and it is literally like a brand new car. It’s a 2016 with the only option missing and that is the PE. So as a newbie here is my first question. I don’t want to go catless. The smell of gas was so bad in the Caddy the wife didn’t want to ride in it anymore. But everyone here keeps referring to the secondary cat, which to me appears to be a resonator. My question would be has anyone had a muffler shop make them the downpipe to do the secondary delete or are they cutting them. I’m having a hard time with 3K plus exhaust system and I like the factory sound so much I don’t want to do an axle back. I would just like for it to sound like the cold start, only keep that sound at all times. I don’t want to cut the resonators off and I have a good muffler shop that does awesome custom work. I’d like for them to unbolt them and make some custom bends to replicate them just in case I want to go back. Has anyone done the secondary cat delete that way?

Old 01-29-2019, 10:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 678 Likes on 643 Posts
2014 E350 also restored: 1969 Camaro convertible SS 1957 Chevy Belair 2dr hardtop
Welcome nice looking ride
Old 01-30-2019, 05:15 AM

Received 74 Likes on 69 Posts
MY19 E450 4MATIC Coupé
Very nice car you've got there - congrats!

Thanks for sharing your story, I enjoyed the read.

As for advice on the exhaust, I'd recommend asking in here: https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-c63s-amg-215/
The following users liked this post:
Detro996 (01-30-2019)