E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

After tightening lug bolts , brakes stay engaged

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 10:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 E350 4matic
After tightening lug bolts , brakes stay engaged

I have a 2010 W212 4matic , I put new rims on it , I then ordered new chrome lug bolts . I took one lug bolt one at a time replacing the old ones with the new ones, after tightening the lug bolts ( Yes a little shaking fo the car , naturally while tightening ) . I sat in and put it in drive , but it stayed as if the emergency brake was on , the trans engaged , I tried reverse and drive . I gave it a good push on the gas , not too much and smelled burning brakes. I stopped smell all the calipers but no smell , as if it came from the emergency brake system which was not engaged. I pushed the emergency pedal then released it . Car on then off then on again and the problem went away. The next I tightened the bolts again , found one or two loose , and again a little shaking of the car and it happened again . Any answers guy ? Thanks , by the way second time I gave it a lil throttle , no smell ,turned the car off then on and same with emergency brake pedal , did not happen again , car shifts great etc .... puzzled ,....

before the new lug bolts...
Old 03-01-2019, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator

Received 716 Likes on 697 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
moved to W212 forum...
Old 03-01-2019, 01:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,380 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
Did you bother to measure what bolt length you need? Also how about matching the seats? Usually aftermarket wheels have cone seats.
Rule of thumb says the bolts should make 8 turns to the end. When you make 10 or more, you are pressing your parking brake shoes.