Notices
New Members Check In! If you're new to MBworld!, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your Benz!!

HELP, No crank no start CL63

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2020, 05:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 CL63
HELP, No crank no start CL63

Any information is greatly appreciated!
I have a 2008 CL63 and here’s what happened.
Last week while sitting at a light, my car starting hesitating really bad and started blowing blue smoke ( oil burning ) and I could smell raw fuel ( very strong ). I immediately pulled over and shut it down. Keep in mind, I always have changed my oil on time and babied this car as much as possible. I pulled the codes once it was towed home. One was for the crankshaft sensor and one was a misfire is cylinder 4. I replaced the crankshaft sensor with an oem one from the dealership and pulled and replaced the plug from #4 which had a little carbon and fuel smell on it. I had all the plugs replace only 8,000 miles ago. My car never blew smoke previously or showed any abnormal symptoms. Once I replaced those two parts, I cleared the codes and went to start the car without any luck. Everything powers up ( lights, radio, windows etc. ). I slightly drained the auxiliary battery from working on the car between opening and closing the doors a bunch of times however, I recharged it to a full amount and that’s been working fine now. When I turn the car all the way over I can hear the fuel pump, I checked all the relays and the starter ones are clicking. I also checked all the fuses in all four boxes ( hood, passenger side door, driver-side door and the trunk fuse box ). Both batteries are fully charged and I even replaced the starter battery ( under the hood ) to be safe. I can even hear the fuel injectors spraying fuel into the cylinders when I have someone turn the key. The only problem is, there’s no crank to start the engine. It has since threw a new code, P1614 and has ( gas ) in parentheses. I have two separate keys which I tried both and neither of them crank the engine. I’m really hoping to solve this issue at home since money is a little tight plus I don’t have anyone I can trust. I’m very comfortable working on this car, I’m just completely stumped at this point. Oh, and the ECU is even making noises when I turn the key also so I don’t think that’s the issue either. I figured if it was the starter, it would have shown previous symptoms before going which wasn’t the case. The only code ( P1614 ) is very suspicious to me and the only info I find on this code involves an issue with the key however, my keys are turning and even activating the power etc. Any help or ideas is beyond greatly appreciated.

Old 03-29-2020, 09:08 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,003 Likes on 3,145 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Welcome! Please post a photo of the CL63.

What is your gut telling you? Does the car have a tune? What caused the cylinder 4 incident?
Old 03-30-2020, 04:25 AM

2008 CL63
What is your gut telling you? Does the car have a tune? What caused the cylinder 4 incident?[/QUOTE]

Honestly, at first i was worried I blew the engine however, my gut was saying that’s not possible because I baby this car and I had no previous symptoms whatsoever etc. So to put my mind at ease, I even used a 27mm breaker bar to slowly turn the crank pulley to make sure the engine wasn’t locked up for any reason and of course there wasn’t any issue turning the crank. There’s absolutely no symptoms at all other than a P1614 code but even that’s strange because the keys turn all the way, batteries are fully powered, all relays/fuses are good etc etc.
The only thing that’s not normal is the engine trying to crank. I’m thinking the cylinder 4 incident happened due to the crankshaft going in the beginning. It’s my understanding that when a crankshaft sensor fails, it throws everything off with the ecu which in turn sends false readings to the engine coils, plugs, fuel injectors etc. I believe once the crankshaft sensor went, my engine built up excess fuel in the cylinders causing that spark plug to fail since it fouled out ( just my guess ).

Old 03-30-2020, 04:35 AM

2008 CL63
I never had the car tuned either however, it is straight piped. I deleted the resonator and the mufflers only about six months ago.
Old 03-30-2020, 04:40 AM

2008 CL63

Here’s a couple of photos as requested

Old 04-21-2020, 02:25 PM

v250d 2017 and Vito 122 2013
Did you get it fixed? Perhaps jump the starter relay and check if the starter turns, otherwise use a positive lead and actuate it at the solenoid.

IBy the way, found that my W639 would keep running when unplugging the cam sensor, as long as it was there on startup.
Old 04-22-2020, 10:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W212 E63
CL63

Originally Posted by Enr88
Any information is greatly appreciated!
I have a 2008 CL63 and here’s what happened.
Last week while sitting at a light, my car starting hesitating really bad and started blowing blue smoke ( oil burning ) and I could smell raw fuel ( very strong ). I immediately pulled over and shut it down. Keep in mind, I always have changed my oil on time and babied this car as much as possible. I pulled the codes once it was towed home. One was for the crankshaft sensor and one was a misfire is cylinder 4. I replaced the crankshaft sensor with an oem one from the dealership and pulled and replaced the plug from #4 which had a little carbon and fuel smell on it. I had all the plugs replace only 8,000 miles ago. My car never blew smoke previously or showed any abnormal symptoms. Once I replaced those two parts, I cleared the codes and went to start the car without any luck. Everything powers up ( lights, radio, windows etc. ). I slightly drained the auxiliary battery from working on the car between opening and closing the doors a bunch of times however, I recharged it to a full amount and that’s been working fine now. When I turn the car all the way over I can hear the fuel pump, I checked all the relays and the starter ones are clicking. I also checked all the fuses in all four boxes ( hood, passenger side door, driver-side door and the trunk fuse box ). Both batteries are fully charged and I even replaced the starter battery ( under the hood ) to be safe. I can even hear the fuel injectors spraying fuel into the cylinders when I have someone turn the key. The only problem is, there’s no crank to start the engine. It has since threw a new code, P1614 and has ( gas ) in parentheses. I have two separate keys which I tried both and neither of them crank the engine. I’m really hoping to solve this issue at home since money is a little tight plus I don’t have anyone I can trust. I’m very comfortable working on this car, I’m just completely stumped at this point. Oh, and the ECU is even making noises when I turn the key also so I don’t think that’s the issue either. I figured if it was the starter, it would have shown previous symptoms before going which wasn’t the case. The only code ( P1614 ) is very suspicious to me and the only info I find on this code involves an issue with the key however, my keys are turning and even activating the power etc. Any help or ideas is beyond greatly appreciated.

I know this may silly but do your interior lights work when you unlock the car?