Notices
New Members Check In! If you're new to MBworld!, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your Benz!!

2001 W220 S55 does it have the original EIS?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2020, 01:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 s55
2001 W220 S55 does it have the original EIS?

I just bought a S55 since the S500 I bought a few months ago got wrecked. Im having intermittent EIS problem, key doesn't turn. The key it came with is a current version, Chrome with triangle panic button. Im wondering if the key is new replacement, or if somewhere during the past 20 years the "hand shake" was replaced. It drives like the ECU is programmed for a 500 or something, real lack of power when I punch the gas, but that could be totally unrelated. Is there an easy way to find out if the eis, ecu, etc is working on the factory vin? Should I buy a C4 to check the vin? Will the part number on the eis (220-545-0608) tell me if it's for an S55? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 08-03-2020, 01:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 s55
(

The key didn't turn once literally right after I bought the car, nut I unhooked the battery and then it worked again for a week or so. It's not my DD so haven't started more than say a dozen or so times. Im driving the wrecked s500 still and plan on taking parts from the 500 as needed for the 55. The 55 has a battery drain problem so I was already monitoring the amperage draw throughout today tinkering on stuff so when the key stopped turning I checked and no matter what key ( the s55, s500, my w202 OR NO KEY) the draw on the battery is the same. On the s500, the correct key draws 3 amps, either wrong key draws 2 amps, and no key draws about0.3 amps. So I think the problem is in the eis on the s55. I did switch commands earlier today diagnosing the battery drain and the switched radios worked fine in each car, so I don't think that's related to the key not turning problem, especially as it happened once before week(s) ago. If the ecu, eis, shifter, etc have already been swapped I can do a swap from the s500 (even though the immobilizer is active as the shifter is not original) but will the s500 ECU manage the S55 engine properly? If I find out the eis, ecu, shifter, are all original, im thinking of sending the eis for a repair service. Anyone ever tried that before? Any advice will be appreciated.
Old 08-03-2020, 12:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 679 Likes on 644 Posts
2014 E350 also restored: 1969 Camaro convertible SS 1957 Chevy Belair 2dr hardtop
Welcome please post picture of your ride. Hope you solve your problem