Notices
New Members Check In! If you're new to MBworld!, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your Benz!!

Run Flats

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2020 | 09:03 AM

2018 GLC300
Run Flats

Read many of the Run Flats comments and opinions are all over the place. More leaning to issues, I believe. I think like many, I prefer to have the option to be able to throw on a donut and avoid the 50 mile driving restrictions so I can get it home or to a shop conveniently - Too many horror stories of flats at times and places that really screwed the driver. So towards that end, need recommendations on donuts and jack kits that work for a 2018 GLC300.
Old 08-06-2020 | 05:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!
Veteran: NavyMBWorld Ambassador

2014 E350 also restored: 1969 Camaro convertible SS 1957 Chevy Belair 2dr hardtop
Welcome please post picture of your ride. You are right run flats are crap. would not but a car with them on. I want the spare.
The following users liked this post:
MBpippo (08-07-2020)
Old 08-08-2020 | 12:31 PM
Out Of Control!!
MBWorld Ambassador

2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Welcome! Please post a photo of the GLC.

Runflats benefit no one besides the carmaker, by achieving less cost and weight so the carmaker can meet fuel economy and emissions regulations. And make more money. Making money is a good thing, except when it comes in a win-lose scenario, which is the case with runflats.
Old 08-09-2020 | 05:02 PM

W222 S350d L SE LINE
Hi, I always thought with the run flats versus normal tyres and the space saver argument that I always favoured the space saver on my S Class. But having my normal rear tyre going down rapidly once on a busy road with nowhere to park safely until I could get into a lay-by about 1/2 mile down the road.
The alloy had dug into my tyre so unrepairable but obviously the space saver saved the day, but what concerned me was how quickly the deflation happened and getting to safety on a busy road going slowly. Now my current S Class has run flats as standard so I carry a full size spare when I don’t require the boot space. One day with 3 people in the car driving at 70mph the run flat went into rapid deflation and I was able to drive 15 miles to a safe service area at 50mph. You can guess I wasn’t carrying the spare due to needing the the boot space. With it being late in the evening I phoned local tyre shops to source a new tyre with no luck and my breakdown provider saying 3 hours till they could get to me ! So I decided to drive on the deflated run flat as far as I could to get home and call them again if needed.

Unbelievably I managed to get home ( doing 50mph ) with the run flat, having done a further 100 miles, still on the rim of the alloy but with one hell of an split in the tyre. So run flats win the day for me !