Notices
New Members Check In! If you're new to MBworld!, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your Benz!!

New to MB

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2020, 10:26 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
1999 E320
New to MB

Just got a 1999 E320, new to mercedes, garage find, sat last 10 yrs in a garage.

Just pushed it out of the garage after 10 yrs
The following users liked this post:
chassis (10-11-2020)
Old 10-11-2020, 04:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 733 Likes on 704 Posts
2013 C204 C250 Coupe
Hi @Sinfull and welcome to the forum! All the best with your find 😀
Old 10-11-2020, 08:22 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,003 Likes on 3,145 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Welcome! Looks great. Let's see some photos after it gets uncovered from 10 years of garage dust!

What is the story on how you found it, and what are your plans for the car?
Old 10-11-2020, 12:22 PM

1999 E320
My father got it from a family friend who passed away, figured it was time for me to have a really nice car. He has always driven MB.
I have always been into Honda and Nissan, and thinks that since I just turned turned 40 it is time for me to have a MB. Always had a swapped turbo honda, or a swapped turbo Nissan and of course I am always working on them. So his logic is since I am used to working on a car, I may as well be working on the MB. Since he is always working on his MB 😀
chassis (10-11-2020)
Old 10-12-2020, 06:23 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 152 Likes on 152 Posts
Mercedes E55 AMG E211
Looks like you have a good starting point project. Make sure to keep us posted on the upgrades.
Old 10-12-2020, 04:50 PM

1999 E320
UP GRADE is definitely correct, going to try and get her to sit right on 32's 😀 Every one wants to slam them to the ground and run big AMG wheels, let's do something completely different and run big tires on stock 16's and just keep her clean and looking nice, after brakes this week and finish getting her ready to run, big tires are being ordered. Spark plugs and fluids are already ordered, trans fluid and filter. Old gas in tank is still okay surprisingly, gas is still clean and should run, fuel filter are on order, new fuel pump is in shopping cart, may not have to do it, fuse isn't corroded, car was sealed up with windows closed so nothing got inside the vehicle, I don't find any thing that would show that something got inside, no nests and no chewed wires, new battery powers up and everything works so far. She should start, even after 10 yrs, will find out after I get everything changed and ready to run
chassis (10-13-2020)
Old 11-08-2020, 10:06 PM

1999 E320
She lives

She is alive 😀
Old 11-08-2020, 10:30 PM

1999 E320
This was definitely a process, after changing fluids and plugs, 1st start was a disaster, miss fires, check engine light immediately, and alot of shaking and smoke. Pulled engine immediately and put her on the engine stand. Cracked her open and inspected engine. Piston bores still looked great, so no scratches or gouging, left them alone, bearings plastigauged correct, so did bearing because I already had the caps off, crank checked out so just new seals and bearing. Head leak down was decent so just did the valves, heads were off anyway so new timing set was ordered, least favorite part is the timing, but done a whole lot of timing belts on past v6 3kgt Mitsubishi, so this wasn't anything to difficult, new oil pump and all gaskets, new head bolts and reassemble. Transmission just did the usual service and new mounts. Put the engine back in with new mounts, new coils and wires and plugs, sent radiator and gas tank to be cleaned and got both back, new fuel pump since tank was already out, reassemble everything and now she runs so nice, butter smooth.
Old 11-08-2020, 10:51 PM

1999 E320
All I can say about the whole thing is that MB engines have a strange mystery about them that I don't understand. They are just normal engines, they come apart the same and they go back together the same, alot of people seem afraid to do anything with them, don't exactly understand why, if you can rebuild a Honda engine you can definitely rebuild a mb engine. I will say that mb engines have really good quality parts and you can probably get them cheaper than what I paid since I ordered all mine through my local dealer, used my shop discount and that was done to insure I got the mb parts, only real cost was having a valve job done at a shop that specializes in heads, they have never disappointed me yet. I probably could have not done the valves but it was was already off the car so just got it done anyway. Since the car sat for so long I chose to just get everything done and start off with a fresh start, probably could have gotten her to run decent since there was no real damage to engine and alot of the important parts were not worn out. But she is alive and running and I definitely will be keeping her
Old 11-08-2020, 11:07 PM

1999 E320

did a full clay bar, cut and buffed with medium compound, full hand wax after, and I get a nice deep shine but it will never be perfect, car has definitely been driven and paint chips every where, some one dragged something across the hood, probably used her for a storage shelf, looks like a box dragged with probably a few years of dirt underneath it, will definitely come out with a serious cut, not really wanting to do that since I really doubt that the clear coat will survive. Plus the fact that the paint is already damaged
Old 11-08-2020, 11:17 PM

1999 E320

see the paint damage, she can definitely shine up, but alot of damage is already done, so no real reason to risk doing a serious cut. Just going to keep a eye on the spots and keep her with a good coat of wax, she is a ten foot car, looks amazing till you get up close and personal. Besides Patina and originality are in now 😀
Old 11-08-2020, 11:26 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,003 Likes on 3,145 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Great progress! Do you plan to replace the headlamps?
Old 11-08-2020, 11:48 PM

1999 E320
If you click on the picture and zoom in where my phone reflects, you can really see the scratches, not worth risking since you already see the physical damage spot that is there. Best thing to do is to just keep it waxed and try to do any more damage. Another cut will only further weaken a already weak clear. So she will only get a true wax from now on, no cleaning wax, and only clayed to remove the build up and what ever falls on her. Good news is I can still get a pretty decent shine even though every panel is scratches or chipped. Good news is it is all normal wear and tear, nothing out of the ordinary for a 20 yr old paint. Like I said she definitely was driven 😀
Old 11-08-2020, 11:57 PM

1999 E320
Originally Posted by chassis
Great progress! Do you plan to replace the headlamps?
Headlamps are definitely in the to do list, probably after the full suspension redo, or before because they definitely look terrible. Have a couple ideas, if I do new lenses I will definitely be painting the inside houses black, don't really like the all white bug eye look. Maybe try a full sand and polish and see how it turns out.
Old 11-09-2020, 02:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 733 Likes on 704 Posts
2013 C204 C250 Coupe
Thanks for the updates @Sinfull