Notices
New Members Check In! If you're new to MBworld!, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your Benz!!

D6 and Drive question on highway

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2020, 12:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ml350 bluetech
D6 and Drive question on highway

Dear all,

I was driving on a highway and accidentally I hit those + - signs behind wheel. I noticed the drive status changed from D to D6. I was a bit nervous and hit those signs again to try to go back to D status, which is the only one I had experience with. But things got worse then it became D3, while the engine speed went up more than 3000. I was nervous and had to pull over to the highway shoulder and restart my car. Then everything became normal. Can someone teach me how to use those + - sign gears? More importantly, what's the correct way if I hit it accidentally?

Thank you in advance
Tony
Old 10-24-2020, 07:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 326 Likes on 250 Posts
2012 E550 v8-Biturbo
the [-] will drop (decrease) the gear, for example from "7" (normal drive) to "6"
In order to get back to normal drive (with [D] showing), press and hold the [+] until [D] is shown in the display

If you don't have an owner's manual, you can find digital ones online. You can read more about there.

Welcome
Old 10-24-2020, 08:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,956 Likes on 2,637 Posts
2019 C63CS
Those are there to manually shift gears. As said above [-] downshifts one gear at a time and [+] upshifts. You can't break anything. The transmission won't let you perform a shift that could damage the engine. If you use them, either accidentally or intentionally the transmission will temporarily go into manual mode and expects you to shift the gears, but it will also automatically downshift if the rpms get too low and upshift at redline. You can either press and hold [+] to get back to automatic mode, or select D again with the gear selector stalk or it will automatically revert back to automatic mode after about 10 seconds of not using them and driving at a fairly constant speed.

If you have no concept of shifting gears yourself, then it's better to stay away from them. The vast majority of people don't use them, because they don't know what to do with them. Those of us who have driven cars with manual transmissions most of our lives know to appreciate the manual mode of modern automatic transmissions, especially in AMG and other sports/performance cars, where the manual mode can be activated permanently with a button and then the transmission behaves largely like a manual transmission w/o a clutch pedal, including bouncing off the rev limiter at redline if you don't upshift. It's all about control and engagement. They make a lot of sense in sports and performance cars, but are a bit misplaced in cars for the average Joe.

Last edited by superswiss; 10-24-2020 at 11:55 PM.
Old 10-24-2020, 11:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ml350 bluetech
Thank you.

It’s great I got great responses. Thank you all.
tony