Notices
New Members Check In! If you're new to MBworld!, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your Benz!!

My 2005 G55 AMG Journey

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2021 | 08:25 PM

2005 G55 AMG
My 2005 G55 AMG Journey

(After Phase 1 ^ MORE PHOTOS AND VIDEOS ATTACHED BELOW)

Hey everyone!

Very excited to finally be posting here as a recent owner! I have had the luxury of having friends with new Gwagons that I have gotten to drive and it has always been love at first sight. I however could never afford a new one and thought my dreams would have to wait (and before you say "but the house..." it isn't mine ). That was until I did some more research into the dependability of all Gwagons and began hunting for one 6 months ago that could fit my budget. It didn't help that I experienced some extreme fomo from watching @shiann build his out and wanting to do the same (I'm even going to steal some of his introduction formatting )!

I am now the proud owner of a well maintained 60k mile 2005 G55 AMG- with a clean history! I'll attach below a series of photos from its inception (It was bought at auction in PA at a GREAT cost) to some of the build out and where it stands now with Phase I upgrades all installed and complete.

Some background on me, I'm an Emmy award winning Director/Producer & Creative Director living in Brooklyn NY and originally from PA, and have been self employed running my own production agency for ~10 years here in Brooklyn. I have always had a love for cars instilled into me through my father and a lot of my friends. I haven't owned a car since I moved from PA (Had a ML350) to NY in 2010- which makes this a hell of an exciting first car which I'm very grateful to now have. I've never really done much of my own work on cars but something about this beautiful beast and the amount of research I have done (and continue to do) makes me pretty excited to try and handle what I can and find great shops for what I can't-- prepare yourselves for some pretty novice questions at times...

Day 1 at auction:

Wasn't a huge fan of the chrome on silver, knew I wanted to upgrade the entire lighting system to LED, and wanted to update the NAV- other than that what ensued next was unplanned and nothing short of becoming a bit obsessed as well as falling down one too many rabbit holes and losing hours & days on Ebay- and these forums .

I think in the end I ordered roughly ~37+ parts/things........ whoops
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Upgrades/Accessories:
-JVC navigation unit w/ Apple Carplay, rear back up camera, and etc.
-G63 Style front bumper + Brabus lower LED bumper lip (Blacking it out to slim silhouette)
-New brush guard to fit the new G63 bumper (Blacking it out)
-New 2013+ Side mirrors (Blacking them out to slim silhouette again)
-LED End cap running board lights (+Black out the running boards themselves)
-Blacked out emblems (I.e. G55, AMG, V8, Etc.)
-Carbon fiber side molding trim
-Smoked out LED Tail lights
-Smoked out LED turn signals
-Smoke out LED side markers
-2x Carbon fiber vinyl racing stripe
-Cargo trunk privacy cover
-Trunk all-purpose floor mat
-Trunk floor Net
-Metal gas, brake, and etc. pedals (Silver)
-LED main Mercedes logo grille emblem
-New 2013+ Front Mercedes grille
-Smoked LED rear bumper lights
-New headlight enclosures with LED strip bar
-Roof spoiler with LED (Blacked out + a custom on/off button installed inside the car-- Pics below)
-Black/Silver Affalterbach AMG emblem for steering wheel (I find it more classic/suiting in the old interiors)
-New G63 set of 4 fender flares (Painted silver to match car)
-AMG front grille emblem radiator badge
-Black LED Headlights Mansory style
-Metal door lock pins (Makes the lock sound so much more orgasmic for like $13 and goes into the door well)
-4x 35mm Forge Wheel Spacers (Hubcentric w/ Bolts)
-Red metal air valve caps for tires
-3D Chrome Star spare tire badge (In Black)
-LED License plate lights
-Added console gear box storage box + ABS passenger side storage box

Old parts replaced:
-5x New tires
-New SAM module (Light water damage to old one- I wonder how? Oh well- running fine now)
-New filters, new battery, fuses, plugs, and etc.
-Brand new front cup holder
-Passenger and Driver side Seat trim (notorious for getting its wear and tear)
-New gas cap (Hanging wire was cut)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Things I also already did:
-Tint the windows
-Paint the spare tire again a fresh coat of silver + Painted the sides gloss black
-Painted the rims gloss black (5x)
-Painted the signal light cages gloss black
-Painted the tail light guard Gloss black
-Painted the exhaust pipe tips gloss black + I filled their AMG logo in with bright Red paint (both sides)
-Painted the Brake Caliper bright red (4x)

Parts in the mail (Will be added in coming weeks):
-Carbon fiber hood air vent replacement
-Carbon fiber mudflaps (My bumper was taking a beating in NY and always dirty )
-Carbon fiber door handles (5x)
-Carbon fiber window visors Brabus style
-I will also be swapping the stock light grey headliner with Dark Grey or black Alcantara fabric
( Side bar- why does shipping from Russia to US (in particular) suck )

-I am also filling in the AMG lettering on each gloss black rim with red so that they match what I did with the exhaust
Things I want to do in Phase 2:
-Strip and restore the side grand edition badges and have them repainted/enameled to their original colors
-Fox Steering stabilizer (I read that no matter the condition of the OEM one that this $289 upgrade changes the driving experience like night and day for the better- true?)
-Fox or King shocks/springs (Still deciding which- also curious to see if the 2in lift with these combined with my top LED bar will make most NY parking garages not possible for me? )
-Fiberglass or Carbon Fiber Snorkels
-New Exhaust with open/close (Possibly quicksilver? Unless there is something equally good that is cheaper)

Things I want to do in Phase 3:
-Baja roof rack
-Add back roof Ladder
-Possibly add auxiliary gas can to side or on back ladder

Things I want to do in Phase 4:
Who knows- but god knows I'll find a reason to have one

All in all I am thrilled with the car and LOVE driving it. There is some slight highway wobble when going 85+mph plus that I am hoping to find ways to reduce and improve (Starting with steer stabilizer? unless people have other or additional suggestions). This also could be a small % due to the fact that I got a random flat tire and had to drive 4 blocks on basically bare rubber to get it swapped- so I may need to get my tires balanced again.

Fun fact my MPG as of now is 7/8 to 11 (on highway) with it most commonly being about ~8 (but am so happy to have found the 'Gasbuddy App'). I've also had the car about ~two-months and have gotten 2 speeding tickets, one bus lane violation, and 2 parking tickets but have been getting better with it (and avoiding them as time goes on).
But hey- why have an AMG if you aren't gonna drive it like one!

I have yet to name her in the past 2 months driving her- but she'll come full form soon and I imagine something will click <---

Sorry for the long intro but very excited to be here!

Thanks!
Ruse
(IG: @Ruse)

Tires done

Exhaust + Running board done

GPS Getting worked on as well as audio

GPS Before

GPS After*

Badges + Side Molding + Flares + Vinyl, & etc.

Top LED Bar Switch

Phase 1 Done

Phase 1 Done

Phase 1 Done

Phase 1 Done

Phase 1 Done

Phase 1 Done

Night Shot
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_9211.mov (10.32 MB, 15 views)

Last edited by Ruse G55; 04-20-2021 at 10:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MBpippo (04-21-2021)
Old 04-21-2021 | 05:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!
MBWorld Ambassador

2013 C204 C250 Coupe
Hi @Ruse G55 and welcome to MBWorld. Thanks for the intro and your journey to get your dream G55. Thanks also for all the pics. Your mods look awesome! Congratulations
Ruse G55 (04-21-2021)
Old 04-21-2021 | 01:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!
Veteran: NavyMBWorld Ambassador

2014 E350 also restored: 1969 Camaro convertible SS 1957 Chevy Belair 2dr hardtop
Welcome nice looking ride
Ruse G55 (04-21-2021)
Old 04-21-2021 | 10:02 PM

2005 G55 AMG
Originally Posted by MBpippo;[url=tel:8319695
8319695[/url]]Hi @Ruse G55 and welcome to MBWorld. Thanks for the intro and your journey to get your dream G55. Thanks also for all the pics. Your mods look awesome! Congratulations
Originally Posted by dbldpr;[url=tel:8320019
8320019[/url]]Welcome nice looking ride
Thanks guys!! Happy to be here

If any people or W463 owners have any thoughts on the highway wobble and how to reduce it without breaking the bank I’d love to hear it!
Old 04-22-2021 | 07:58 AM
Out Of Control!!
MBWorld Ambassador

2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Welcome! Nice looking G.
Ruse G55 (04-22-2021)
Old 04-23-2021 | 03:23 AM

1999 E320, 2008 S550, 2016 G63 AMG
Good find and nice intro👍

Where did you purchased the led lights on the ends of running board?
Looks in better in person at night when ON ?