Notices
New Members Check In! If you're new to MBworld!, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your Benz!!

GLE or GLC or other?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2021, 02:58 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E350 CDI 2009 coupe
GLE or GLC or other?

Hello! I would like to have your insights for choosing my next MB which I think will be a GLC or GLE… Wanted to have your views please:
My wife and I own a CDI E350 coupe 2009 AMG. Love it. We have been driving the car for years mainly on motorways in Europe and our visits to weekend countryside. Have driven it on dirt roads as well. Most reliable, handsome, powerful and looks good everywhere..
now we are looking for something more comfortable to get in and out as we get to our late 40s…
GLE is great but it is too big for us as it will be only two of us in the car. GLC is the right size but it is C series and not that good as E series I keep hearing. That’s why we drive E class now, rightly or wrongly biased to E series…. GLE in Europe and UK is a big car in narrow streets and parking lots as one of my friend bought it and his wife hates parking in the mall. On the other hand we love performance in E350 and a strong engine is always great for us especially when we are driving long distances in Europe (we crossed Europe from France to Greece and back to UK and Germany many times. Driving in motorways comfortably and even having a nap to break the journey in the car is what we do.

we are looking for a second hand or new one. I like 2019 onwards GLE dashboards (the new dashboards) but reliability comes first.

any thoughts? Thank you.

what next to buy after 12 years of pride with a e350 coupe?
The following users liked this post:
speedlimit (07-11-2021)
Old 07-11-2021, 07:37 AM
Administrator Emeritus

Received 462 Likes on 348 Posts
Hi!

Welcome to MBworld!
Thank you for the introduction and photo!

I'm pretty sure you will many receive many opinions on your questions from owners of both. Good luck!

Bob
Old 07-11-2021, 09:04 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,930 Likes on 3,095 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Welcome!

The 2019 and earlier GLE is one of the most reliable M-Bs in recent history. The 2020 and newer GLE is having a very difficult go of it with many problems experienced. Best to read the forum sections and ask some questions, so you can form your own opinion.

GLE is more comfortable than GLC, that is clear. Whether the larger car is practical for you is your choice to make.

Last edited by chassis; 07-11-2021 at 11:32 AM.
MBpippo (07-12-2021)
Old 07-11-2021, 11:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,488 Likes on 986 Posts
This place is a joke.
The GLC has been a very reliable car. They drive good but do feel lighter than the GLE, of course. The 2020+ GLE has not been reliable. The previous generation GLE 166 chassis is also a good car, except for the diesel.
I've also got some heartbreaking news for you. Your E-class coupe is actually a C-class coupe (204 chassis) with a different interior and body panels. It even shares some of the same glass as the C coupe. So you've actually been driving a C-class all along, which is fine because the 204 was one of MB's best cars. A transition into a GLC might be ok, although you'll have to get used to a 4-cylinder as it's a bit rougher and noisier than you are used to.
The following 3 users liked this post by E55Greasemonkey:
chassis (07-11-2021), MBpippo (07-12-2021), SethK (07-11-2021)
Old 07-11-2021, 11:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E350 CDI 2009 coupe
C all along?

Originally Posted by E55Greasemonkey
The GLC has been a very reliable car. They drive good but do feel lighter than the GLE, of course. The 2020+ GLE has not been reliable. The previous generation GLE 166 chassis is also a good car, except for the diesel.
I've also got some heartbreaking news for you. Your E-class coupe is actually a C-class coupe (204 chassis) with a different interior and body panels. It even shares some of the same glass as the C coupe. So you've actually been driving a C-class all along, which is fine because the 204 was one of MB's best cars. A transition into a GLC might be ok, although you'll have to get used to a 4-cylinder as it's a bit rougher and noisier than you are used to.
Thank you. I didn’t know it was very similar to C! See how biased one can be. Have been driving a C all along, and am loving it. What would you recommend from this point onwards, sir? Shall I go for an SUV or stay on an SUV coupe or just don’t bother and have a GLC as the size of GLC is just right for both of us.
chassis (07-11-2021)
Old 07-11-2021, 11:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,488 Likes on 986 Posts
This place is a joke.
I think you should test drive a GLC. Myself, I own both sedans, coupes, and SUV's, and like most people I really enjoy the better view of the road sitting up higher in an SUV. The GLC has a better view than your coupe, but not as tall as the GLE.
The following 2 users liked this post by E55Greasemonkey:
chassis (07-11-2021), SethK (07-11-2021)