Notices
New Members Check In! If you're new to MBworld!, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your Benz!!

New to us GL63 AMG

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2022, 08:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 GL63 AMG
New to us GL63 AMG

My wife and I recently purchased a 2015 GL63 AMG and are loving it so far! I've decided I had better figure out things to be prepared for throughout our ownership ... I already have the expectation that brakes and tires will be replaced often. As I now understand it, this has the M157 engine, which can have cylinder scoring issues as well as valve issues. And now, having purchased this vehicle just over a month ago, I'm starting to be really concerned as it did have a cylinder 5 misfire detected approximately two weeks after purchasing (at a VW dealership). Having failed miserably when tested, the primary battery was replaced after needing to be jump started several times, so we attributed a potential cause for the cylinder 5 misfire detected to be that low battery, as nothing else was found to be wrong. I had even contacted an MB dealership service department which informed me that the dead battery was a possible cause for the CEL code, albeit not the likely cause. I guess I'm hoping I didn't get us into a big mess! Luckily we have about 9k miles of powertrain warranty remaining that was included in the sale by the selling dealership ... looks like I need to look into whether I can still purchase the extended warranty that was offered.

Anyway, cheers!

Matt

Last edited by colorado_matt; 03-06-2022 at 10:48 PM.
Old 03-07-2022, 04:32 PM
SPONSOR

Received 246 Likes on 190 Posts
2001 E55AMG
Originally Posted by colorado_matt
My wife and I recently purchased a 2015 GL63 AMG and are loving it so far! I've decided I had better figure out things to be prepared for throughout our ownership ... I already have the expectation that brakes and tires will be replaced often. As I now understand it, this has the M157 engine, which can have cylinder scoring issues as well as valve issues. And now, having purchased this vehicle just over a month ago, I'm starting to be really concerned as it did have a cylinder 5 misfire detected approximately two weeks after purchasing (at a VW dealership). Having failed miserably when tested, the primary battery was replaced after needing to be jump started several times, so we attributed a potential cause for the cylinder 5 misfire detected to be that low battery, as nothing else was found to be wrong. I had even contacted an MB dealership service department which informed me that the dead battery was a possible cause for the CEL code, albeit not the likely cause. I guess I'm hoping I didn't get us into a big mess! Luckily we have about 9k miles of powertrain warranty remaining that was included in the sale by the selling dealership ... looks like I need to look into whether I can still purchase the extended warranty that was offered.

Anyway, cheers!

Matt
How many miles does the vehicle have? If it is under 80k miles, you qualify for a Manufactures Extension by Freedom Warranty, repairs accepted at all Mercedes Benz dealers in North America, covered for $275 an hour in labor, only $100 deductible, and 0% financing is available. You can contract me directly at (855) 924-1333 for a quote and example contract, or if you have any warranty questions!
Old 03-07-2022, 05:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 GL63 AMG
Originally Posted by Highline-Autos.com
How many miles does the vehicle have? If it is under 80k miles, you qualify for a Manufactures Extension by Freedom Warranty, repairs accepted at all Mercedes Benz dealers in North America, covered for $275 an hour in labor, only $100 deductible, and 0% financing is available. You can contract me directly at (855) 924-1333 for a quote and example contract, or if you have any warranty questions!
Thanks for the suggestion, but the vehicle had nearly 90k miles at the time of purchase. It seems to run great, and once the CEL code was cleared, it hasn't shown up again (yet) ... think we'll just be running it and will watch for any changes.

Matt
Old 03-07-2022, 05:04 PM
SPONSOR

Received 246 Likes on 190 Posts
2001 E55AMG
Originally Posted by colorado_matt
Thanks for the suggestion, but the vehicle had nearly 90k miles at the time of purchase. It seems to run great, and once the CEL code was cleared, it hasn't shown up again (yet) ... think we'll just be running it and will watch for any changes.

Matt
No problem Matt, at 90k miles you would not qualify for for manufactures extension, but you would qualify for a Drive policy that gives great coverage on drivetrain components. You've got my info if you have any questions in the future!
The following users liked this post:
fodders.05 (04-13-2022)