S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

2014 S-class

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.50 average.

Old 01-12-2015, 01:44 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,175 Likes on 1,978 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by Streamliner
I agree. The 222 is odd looking and the later model 221's were just about perfect. I've had my new 222 going on two weeks now and every time I see a 221 drive by, it's like somebody sticking me with a pin. I let my 221 go because it was black and I just couldn't deal with that color. But now I'm stuck with this 222 with its all black pano roof, so how much better off am I? I wish I had my 221 back. There, I said it! Been thinking it all week and now I've said it. I really wish I had my 221 back!
Same discussions I see every time the model changes. When the W223 is out there will be countless people lamenting of how beautiful the W222 was and how Mercedes lost their way.
The problem is with most designs that there will be something you liked on the prior model. I should know. The new SL was/is very controversial in its design while the prior model was much loved. I am still not thrilled with the front end but from all other angles I like it better than the old one which has just become dated looking. The new S instead has all chocolate sides IMO.
2 years from now the W221 will just look dated as well.
Old 01-12-2015, 10:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,446 Likes on 1,961 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by Wolfman
Same discussions I see every time the model changes. When the W223 is out there will be countless people lamenting of how beautiful the W222 was and how Mercedes lost their way.
The problem is with most designs that there will be something you liked on the prior model. I should know. The new SL was/is very controversial in its design while the prior model was much loved. I am still not thrilled with the front end but from all other angles I like it better than the old one which has just become dated looking. The new S instead has all chocolate sides IMO.
Well, I do believe that a design can grow on you and I also agree that older designs will look dated. However, with the 222, the interior aside, I am just not impressed. I guess I'm looking for the car to be reasonably better--in all areas--over the 221, but I'm not seeing it, at least not yet. Making Pano standard, RFT and no room for a spare, are significant minuses before you even hit the start button, IMO.
Regarding the SL, the HUGE problem for me is the fact that a "Luxury" version is available in Germany, with what I feel is a much more pleasing front end design, but MB doesn't offer it that way to the "peasants" here in the U.S. I feel very strongly that MB is trying to be everything to everybody and in doing so is cutting corners and offering customers fewer choices. Luxury is having MORE choices, not less.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:14 PM
Super Moderator

Well, I do believe that a design can grow on you and I also agree that older designs will look dated. However, with the 222, the interior aside, I am just not impressed. I guess I'm looking for the car to be reasonably better--in all areas--over the 221, but I'm not seeing it, at least not yet. Making Pano standard, RFT and no room for a spare, are significant minuses before you even hit the start button, IMO. Regarding the SL, the HUGE problem for me is the fact that a "Luxury" version is available in Germany, with what I feel is a much more pleasing front end design, but MB doesn't offer it that way to the "peasants" here in the U.S. I feel very strongly that MB is trying to be everything to everybody and in doing so is cutting corners and offering customers fewer choices. Luxury is having MORE choices, not less.
RFT is bad but seems to be just as unavoidable as the Eco start/stop. This is not really an MB decision rather than needing to meet fuel efficiency standards and something you'll find coming across all makes in Germany (including Porsche). Pita

What puzzles me is your comment re. the SL. There is no luxury version in Germany. It's actually the other way around. The U.S. Model of the SL "only" comes with the AMG package included which costs something like $8k in Germany. They removed the sport suspension (not available in the US) and then wheels which can be had as a $2k option here.
The only thing not available in the US is the low-end non-AMG standard body; in Europe you can also get the non-AMG version. Not sure if you were referring to that.

But limiting choices for the US market is not new to MB; it's been like this forever. Lots more options and choices in Europe.
Some has to do with brand positioning (aka no small engines in an S-class. The W221 for example was available with a 4 cyl. Diesel engine), EPA and DOT regulations (for example, no intelligent LED light here, dumbed down to meet US regulations) and stuff related to homologation.

I don't see any corner cutting, actually quite the opposite.

Last edited by Wolfman; 01-12-2015 at 09:21 PM.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 169 Likes on 134 Posts
W140 Mercedes S350, W221 S550 sport
I don't buy cars that have to grow on me. The w221 never had to grow on me and I can name many other Mercedes that never had to grow on me. If I don't like it, I don't buy it.

Now, in defense of Streamliner.. He needed a new vehicle and of the current choices available, the S class is really the only option to suit the need. The S class has always won best luxury car in it's segment for many years, is super safe, so what was he to do?
Old 01-12-2015, 10:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
RFT is bad but seems to be just as unavoidable as the Eco start/stop. This is not really an MB decision rather than needing to meet fuel efficiency standards and something you'll find coming across all makes in Germany (including Porsche). Pita

What puzzles me is your comment re. the SL. There is no luxury version in Germany. It's actually the other way around. The U.S. Model of the SL "only" comes with the AMG package included which costs something like $8k in Germany. They removed the sport suspension (not available in the US) and then wheels which can be had as a $2k option here.
The only thing not available in the US is the low-end non-AMG standard body; in Europe you can also get the non-AMG version. Not sure if you were referring to that.

But limiting choices for the US market is not new to MB; it's been like this forever. Lots more options and choices in Europe.
Some has to do with brand positioning (aka no small engines in an S-class. The W221 for example was available with a 4 cyl. Diesel engine), EPA and DOT regulations (for example, no intelligent LED light here, dumbed down to meet US regulations) and stuff related to homologation.

I don't see any corner cutting, actually quite the opposite.
OK, do I need to spell everything out? For many years in the U.S.--probably since there has been something called the "sports package," MB has offered the SL in the regular trim--what most folks refer to as the "Luxury" trim and with the AMG Sports Package as an option. When the 2013 SL was launched in the U.S., it was ONLY offered with the AMG Sports trim, even though a non-AMG Sports trim model was and still is available in Germany. MB CUT CORNERS. This cannot be compared to some odd Euro Zone only engine option that isn't available in the U.S. I buy "Luxury" trim vehicles. I don't care for the AMG styled vehicles. MB took my choice away with the new SL. So, there will not be a new SL in my garage until that changes. Luxury is all about choices. The fewer the choices, the LESS luxurious the experience.
Old 01-13-2015, 01:13 AM
Super Moderator

OK, do I need to spell everything out? For many years in the U.S.--probably since there has been something called the "sports package," MB has offered the SL in the regular trim--what most folks refer to as the "Luxury" trim and with the AMG Sports Package as an option. When the 2013 SL was launched in the U.S., it was ONLY offered with the AMG Sports trim, even though a non-AMG Sports trim model was and still is available in Germany. MB CUT CORNERS. This cannot be compared to some odd Euro Zone only engine option that isn't available in the U.S. I buy "Luxury" trim vehicles. I don't care for the AMG styled vehicles. MB took my choice away with the new SL. So, there will not be a new SL in my garage until that changes. Luxury is all about choices. The fewer the choices, the LESS luxurious the experience.

Funny

I guess you had to spell it out.
Never heard anyone call the base trim the luxury version. So to follow your logic, the base S550 is the luxury version and the sport package is the "lesser" sporty version?
I understand that you are upset by Mercedes not offering your choice of trim and that you are considering this cut corners but Mercedes has always provided limited models & options to the US as far as 40 years back. You may agree with some and not with others but this is nothing new.
All MB's in Germany for example are a la carte selections, you choose what you like. That just never existed in the US. There were always less options available in the US.
That said, any German I know would kill to get US top-optioned cars at the US pricing in Europe. US MB customers get more for less at the expense of some lesser choices.
Old 01-13-2015, 10:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Funny

I guess you had to spell it out.
Never heard anyone call the base trim the luxury version. So to follow your logic, the base S550 is the luxury version and the sport package is the "lesser" sporty version?
I understand that you are upset by Mercedes not offering your choice of trim and that you are considering this cut corners but Mercedes has always provided limited models & options to the US as far as 40 years back. You may agree with some and not with others but this is nothing new.
All MB's in Germany for example are a la carte selections, you choose what you like. That just never existed in the US. There were always less options available in the US.
That said, any German I know would kill to get US top-optioned cars at the US pricing in Europe. US MB customers get more for less at the expense of some lesser choices.
Well, part of this confusion is due to the fact that MB keeps changing the nomenclature for different styles and options. For several years, they referred to the E Class sedan in base trim as the "Luxury" model and the same car fitted with the Sports Package as a "Sports" model. At any rate, any MB with the Sports Package, at least here in the U.S., has always been considered UPGRADED, not "lesser." Indeed, on the current S550, the Sports Package costs $5,900.00.

My big complaint about the SL--which is shared by many enthusiasts, magazine writers, etc., is the appearance of the front end. It is too aggressive and brash looking. Too "in-your-face" for what most folks feel is supposed to be a luxury touring car. MB produces the current SL with a much more lovely front end, in the base or what I call "Luxury" trim, but for the first time in DECADES, they refuse to make it available to U.S. customers. I know MB can't make every model and every option available to every market in the world, but on the SL, in what is probably THE largest market for that car-the U.S., not giving customers this basic but very important and TRADITIONAL choice, is to me, cutting corners in a very big and important way. AND, it would appear that the current SL is not selling very well at all in America. Speaking only for myself, I know why at least one customer won't place his order. Here are photos. Both cars are available in Germany, but only the style of the white one in the U.S. I want the style of the copper colored car. You might also want to watch this fantastic, factory produced video, which shows both versions side by side:
Attached Thumbnails 2014 S-class-2013-mercedes-benz-sl.jpg   2014 S-class-2013-sl-sport-style.jpg  

Last edited by Streamliner; 01-13-2015 at 12:07 PM. Reason: typos
Old 01-13-2015, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator

Well, part of this confusion is due to the fact that MB keeps changing the nomenclature for different styles and options. For several years, they referred to the E Class sedan in base trim as the "Luxury" model and the same car fitted with the Sports Package as a "Sports" model. At any rate, any MB with the Sports Package, at least here in the U.S., has always been considered UPGRADED, not "lesser." Indeed, on the current S550, the Sports Package costs $5,900.00.

My big complaint about the SL--which is shared by many enthusiasts, magazine writers, etc., is the appearance of the front end. It is too aggressive and brash looking. Too "in-your-face" for what most folks feel is supposed to be a luxury touring car. MB produces the current SL with a much more lovely front end, in the base or what I call "Luxury" trim, but for the first time in DECADES, they refuse to make it available to U.S. customers. I know MB can't make every model and every option available to every market in the world, but on the SL, in what is probably THE largest market for that car-the U.S., not giving customers this basic but very important and TRADITIONAL choice, is to me, cutting corners in a very big and important way. AND, it would appear that the current SL is not selling very well at all in America. Speaking only for myself, I know why at least one customer won't place his order. Here are photos. Both cars are available in Germany, but only the style of the white one in the U.S. I want the style of the copper colored car. You might also want to watch this fantastic, factory produced video, which shows both versions side by side:
Understood and certainly a matter of taste. My beef is with those headlights btw.
My point was that MBUSA has been making these decisions for a long time now and that it's not a new strategy.
Remember the W221/C216 600 model that couldn't be had with a sport package for any money in the US?

Certainly was available in the rest of the world...
Old 02-18-2015, 11:44 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 79 Likes on 77 Posts
AMG
Mercedes has always been known to produce vehicles with luxury and power and the new S-Class definitely lives up to that reputation with it's V8 engine and its prestigious interior. Our friends from EVS Motors in Texas got their hands on an S550 and decided to spice it up with some red bottoms. These VPS-304 are our new 6061-T6 Forged Aluminum Alloy Wheels with a Brushed Translucent Red finish. We love the look the wheels on the car especially with the Prior Design body kit.

Vossen Precision Series - VPS-304
F: 22x9.5
R:22x11

Old 02-18-2015, 01:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Except you rarely see owners of the new model saying they liked the old one better. I'm one that doesn't want things to grow on me, I just want to like it. I've always loved the 221 body and fenders because nothing else looked as muscular and commanding on the road. I'm sad to see it go, but I don't think the 2nd gen 221 is going to look old anytime soon, and the 222 could look older faster.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:59 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Jason B
Except you rarely see owners of the new model saying they liked the old one better. I'm one that doesn't want things to grow on me, I just want to like it. I've always loved the 221 body and fenders because nothing else looked as muscular and commanding on the road. I'm sad to see it go, but I don't think the 2nd gen 221 is going to look old anytime soon, and the 222 could look older faster.
Let me split that answer into what I like personally and what I have observed with others...
Personally, there are some models that I like instantly (like the new AMG GTS). Looks fantastic IMO and will look even better in person. Same with the W222; looks much better then the W221. Same with the coupe. When the first C216 came out in 07/08, it looked gruesome. Those fender flares. Nasty.
On the SL I had to get used to the look but it was fairly easy with a few minor mods. I was tired of the old SL after driving those for over 11 years and there is no competition to MB when it comes to convertibles (Solidity, hardtop, glass roof, high-speed top driving, safety, etc.). Not a lot of other options.

But I have seen many existing MB drivers react to model changes in person (friends, MB club members, people at the dealer, etc.) All buyers of new cars. These are different IMO as CPO buyers have long been conditioned to the look and features of the cars ahead pulling the trigger.
Forum members are also a bit different as they are the most informed and have seen images of new models way ahead their showroom availability.

In any case, I'd say a good 25% like the old ones better (while seeing the new ones in the flesh) and probably 5% will actually buy a new-old model because of that.
Streamliner is very unusual in that he was buying a new model while liking the old one better. He would have been better off in the 5% group.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:57 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mike@Vossen
Mercedes has always been known to produce vehicles with luxury and power and the new S-Class definitely lives up to that reputation with it's V8 engine and its prestigious interior. Our friends from EVS Motors in Texas got their hands on an S550 and decided to spice it up with some red bottoms. These VPS-304 are our new 6061-T6 Forged Aluminum Alloy Wheels with a Brushed Translucent Red finish. We love the look the wheels on the car especially with the Prior Design body kit.

Vossen Precision Series - VPS-304
F: 22x9.5
R:22x11

Great stance! I'll have to stop by again when in town to check out those wheels in person. It's been awhile since I've seen the owner Ted; stopped going after the restaurant behind their store changed owners (was a good 15+ yrs run at that place). I think he still drives that RR drophead
Old 02-27-2015, 05:13 PM

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts
2015 S-550
Problems with 2015 S-550

I traded in my 2010 S-Class for a 2015 model. The car is nice but has issues.

The ECO/start-stop system does not work well....most of the time it does not work at all. The gas mileage is way below my expectations, since I typically get 2-3 MPG better consumption than EPA City figure. This S-550 does not even get up to the EPA City mi
leage of 17 MPG. This is my 6th MB, and the first that disappoints. The second issue is the Steering-Assist and Stop&Go Pilot. It does not work as described in MB publications available to me, or as shown on videos available on internet. It is barely capable to turn the wheel and as a result it does not stay in lane or follow the car in front. IMHO it is not an assist but a dangerous distraction.

The car has been at several MB dealers for check-up, but they can not find out why the car does not perform as advertised. Neither have they been able to provide answers to simple questions about system operation.

Anyone with similar experience?
Old 02-28-2015, 03:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by elmalo
I traded in my 2010 S-Class for a 2015 model. The car is nice but has issues.

The ECO/start-stop system does not work well....most of the time it does not work at all. The gas mileage is way below my expectations, since I typically get 2-3 MPG better consumption than EPA City figure. This S-550 does not even get up to the EPA City mi
leage of 17 MPG. This is my 6th MB, and the first that disappoints. The second issue is the Steering-Assist and Stop&Go Pilot. It does not work as described in MB publications available to me, or as shown on videos available on internet. It is barely capable to turn the wheel and as a result it does not stay in lane or follow the car in front. IMHO it is not an assist but a dangerous distraction.

The car has been at several MB dealers for check-up, but they can not find out why the car does not perform as advertised. Neither have they been able to provide answers to simple questions about system operation.

Anyone with similar experience?
Hmm, some of this should be able to be fixed with software updates as they become avail. Sometimes you just have to wait it out.

Do you feel the new model rides about the same? I couldn't tell a difference. The ride quality was superb on the 221 and same on 222.
Old 02-28-2015, 04:12 PM

2015 S-550
Hi Jason, and thanks for reply. The Airmatic suspension seems to be better than on my 2010, but the RFTs don't filter as well as regular tires and road noise seems higher.

For the 2015, the ECO/start/stop was modified. MB does not tell me what they did, but the point is that it works seldom, which is "normal" according to MB. This is my 6th MB, on my previous 5 I got better than EPA city mileage in the type of driving I do, on the 2015 I don't even get up to the EPA city MPG.

The Steering Assist is worthless, and "normal" according to MB. The car runs off the road in very, very gentle turns. The Stop@Go Pilot is a joke. I would think that if this was normal every 2015 S-Class owner would complain, since the "Intelligent Drive" is one of MBUSA's selling points.
Old 02-28-2015, 11:27 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS 550
Originally Posted by Mike@Vossen
Murdered Out...new Vossen 22" Flow Forming Technology VFS-2 in a custom gloss black...

Or classic white/Silver polish...

Love the 22"s
Old 03-01-2015, 12:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 292 Likes on 203 Posts
2022 EQS580
Hi Jason, and thanks for reply. The Airmatic suspension seems to be better than on my 2010, but the RFTs don't filter as well as regular tires and road noise seems higher.

For the 2015, the ECO/start/stop was modified. MB does not tell me what they did, but the point is that it works seldom, which is "normal" according to MB. This is my 6th MB, on my previous 5 I got better than EPA city mileage in the type of driving I do, on the 2015 I don't even get up to the EPA city MPG.

The Steering Assist is worthless, and "normal" according to MB. The car runs off the road in very, very gentle turns. The Stop@Go Pilot is a joke. I would think that if this was normal every 2015 S-Class owner would complain, since the "Intelligent Drive" is one of MBUSA's selling points.
Elmalo, could you please tell me where you live? If you live in the upper Midwest or Northeast, the month of February has been brutally cold. If the temperatures are lower than about 15-20 degrees, (here in IA it has been below 20 almost the entire month, for example). We have had many days where the temperature has been in the single digits to about 12 degrees for highs), the ECO mode will not be activated even if you have it on ECO mode. Also, gas mileage is horrible in the frigid cold.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:19 AM

2015 S-550
Hi BeanTrader, and thanks for reply. I live on the West Coast. I have not driven this car at temps below 40 degrees. My 2010 S-400 had a start/stop system which always worked and my average gas mileage was above EPA City figure. On the 2015 S-550 my average is well below the EPA City figure for this car, and my driving has not changed.
I expected 1-2 MPG lower mileage on the S-550 based on EPA data, but am getting 4-5 MPG less.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 EQS580
Hi BeanTrader, and thanks for reply. I live on the West Coast. I have not driven this car at temps below 40 degrees. My 2010 S-400 had a start/stop system which always worked and my average gas mileage was above EPA City figure. On the 2015 S-550 my average is well below the EPA City figure for this car, and my driving has not changed.
I expected 1-2 MPG lower mileage on the S-550 based on EPA data, but am getting 4-5 MPG less.
Well then, what I stated above does not apply in your case since you live on the west coast where the winters are nice and mild. Just curious. Have you had the battery checked on your new S550? Maybe you left on the parking lights (as I did once overnight when my car was only a week old) or some other battery draining feature on for a long time without the engine running. If the car battery is somewhat drained, the ECO mode will not work properly until the battery is recharged.

Last edited by AppleFan1; 03-01-2015 at 12:39 AM.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:37 AM

2015 S-550
Thank you, I'll keep an eye on the lights. Another reason for inconsistent operation could be a failing sensor or bad connector someplace. I had an emission control system problem on my S-400 that the MB maintenance computer did not properly identify. After 6 shop visits and a week in the shop the problem was solved by changing all components in the system.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:38 AM

2015 S-550
BeanTrader, do you have Steering-Assist on your S-550?
Old 03-01-2015, 12:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 EQS580
BeanTrader, do you have Steering-Assist on your S-550?
Yes I do and it works great for me. Obviously, it will not work well on fairly sharp curves. And of course, the car will only drive itself for about 12 seconds before you need to touch the steering wheel lightly. This 12 second limit also applies to auto pilot when driving at speeds of 37 mph or less and your car follows the car in front of you. Obviously, one needs to concentrate and not be totally reliant on these features. If the car is using the auto pilot and the car in front turns left or right, you obviously have to steer your car to go straight ahead instead of following the car in front that took a turn.

Last edited by AppleFan1; 03-01-2015 at 12:49 AM.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:55 AM

2015 S-550
About how much authority does your Steering-Assist have? How many degrees at the most can it turn the wheel? The steering wheel on my S-550 does not turn enough to follow anything and sometimes it can't even stay on a straight road.
Old 03-01-2015, 01:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 EQS580
About how much authority does your Steering-Assist have? How many degrees at the most can it turn the wheel? The steering wheel on my S-550 does not turn enough to follow anything and sometimes it can't even stay on a straight road.
I don't know exactly how many degrees exactly but guessing at 10-20 degrees. All I know is that it works like it is suppose to. I wonder if you have an obstruction on the windshield in front of the camera sensors. Several months ago, my windshield had to be replaced because at least 3 smudges (looked like ice crystals/snow flakes inside the windshield) formed that were obstructing the steering assist camera from properly seeing the lane markers. Thus, the steering assist was not working properly.
Old 03-01-2015, 01:20 AM
Super Moderator

Hi BeanTrader, and thanks for reply. I live on the West Coast. I have not driven this car at temps below 40 degrees. My 2010 S-400 had a start/stop system which always worked and my average gas mileage was above EPA City figure. On the 2015 S-550 my average is well below the EPA City figure for this car, and my driving has not changed. I expected 1-2 MPG lower mileage on the S-550 based on EPA data, but am getting 4-5 MPG less.
So you actually like the ECO function? I turn ours off every time I start the car. Btw, I did notice that the start/stop function is more pronounced on larger engines, which would make sense...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.50 average.

Quick Reply: 2014 S-class