S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Any one looking at the new Quattroporte?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 10:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
2006 E55, 2012 Bentley Continental Supersports Convertible, 2014 Kia Sorento SXL AWD
Originally Posted by The Sting
Hey jprescott

(I haven't read the whole topic but I will still give my opinion).

For having just recently tested the new Quattroporte 4S (2014 model), I must say the car is quite tempting as such, but it quite different from an S-Class.
The S-Class is the pinnacle of sedans when it comes to options and finishes. Sure depending on where you're living, there are S-Class at every street corner.
Obviously, the Quattroporte is surely much more "exclusive" and seems to be geared up to hit the track once in a while, but there is still no radar guided cruise control (for example) available, which I find is a big drawback for a luxury sedan.

In my opinion, the 550 4MATIC will surely give a better service in the long run, but the Maserati might give more pleasure to drive (and prestige too!)
No offense, but the S Class is NOT the pinnacle of sedans....

Ever hear of Rolls Royce or Bentley? Maybach even? Now, I will say that the new S Class is leaps and bounds superior compared to the outgoing model... Finally worthy of being called a luxury vehicle... The older models... Not so much...
Old 07-28-2013, 11:58 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by 06E55
No offense, but the S Class is NOT the pinnacle of sedans....

Ever hear of Rolls Royce or Bentley? Maybach even? Now, I will say that the new S Class is leaps and bounds superior compared to the outgoing model... Finally worthy of being called a luxury vehicle... The older models... Not so much...
Depends of what you define as the pinnacle. Technically it is without a doubt. Neither RR or Bentley are close. They make up in small manufacturing volume and higher quality interior materials and exterior paint and by that I am thinking the Phantom and the Mulsanne.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W210
Very true what Woflman said.

What I meant by "pinnacle" of luxury sedans is compared to other market cars such as (7 series, A8, S80, etc... and now with the quattroporte).
Bentley and RR are mostly in a league of their own (surely in a upper-market level, but in the "pound for pound" best luxury car, I think there is no question that the S-Class is at the top of it).
Perhaps nowadays, the tesla S might be a contender for the shot at this title, but it's still not an S.
Quattroporte is great without doubt (more pleasant to drive than the W221 - not sure compared to the W222), but the S has still a lot more to offer.

Last edited by The Sting; 07-29-2013 at 04:52 AM.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2014 BMW M235i
Been in a Tesla S, not even close the the S-Class... my neighbor bought a Quattorporte, it's an alright car. Nothing I would buy but so many cars I'd rather have in the segment.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:36 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
The Model S is more akin to the Quattroporte, though, IMO. The S is a car with ultimate Luxury and an older clientele in mind, families, etc. The Model S is intended to be more for single people, or younger couples/familes who need some space as well (i.e "4 Door Coupe"-ish), and will be far sportier and more dynamic in that regard than an S Class. The S is all about regality, the Model S is more about "sexiness".

As impressive in a futuristic way the Model S' interior is, it's not my thing as well. Way too modern, therefore too cold. I doubt it'll age well. Germans keep with a more old-world classic interior approach and I personally much prefer that.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55, 2012 Bentley Continental Supersports Convertible, 2014 Kia Sorento SXL AWD
Originally Posted by Wolfman
Depends of what you define as the pinnacle. Technically it is without a doubt. Neither RR or Bentley are close. They make up in small manufacturing volume and higher quality interior materials and exterior paint and by that I am thinking the Phantom and the Mulsanne.
Originally Posted by The Sting
Very true what Woflman said.

What I meant by "pinnacle" of luxury sedans is compared to other market cars such as (7 series, A8, S80, etc... and now with the quattroporte).
Bentley and RR are mostly in a league of their own (surely in a upper-market level, but in the "pound for pound" best luxury car, I think there is no question that the S-Class is at the top of it).
Perhaps nowadays, the tesla S might be a contender for the shot at this title, but it's still not an S.
Quattroporte is great without doubt (more pleasant to drive than the W221 - not sure compared to the W222), but the S has still a lot more to offer.

I guess it all depends, as stated, on how you judge it... In terms of 7 Series, A8, etc., then, yes, I guess it is at the top of it's segment... Although, I will say the current A8's interior is nicer than the current S's interior...

As a Bentley owner, I will definitely say that MB is definitely leaps and bounds ahead of its competition technology wise; however, in true luxury, there is no comparison...

I guess this is why people argue that vehicles like the Corvette Z06 are such a good buy compared to a Ferrari... In terms of price per horsepower, then yes, the Z06 is a great buy... But not everyone that buys a Ferrari cares about this...
Old 07-29-2013, 12:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 289 Likes on 202 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
No comparison? Why is that? What is true luxury?

All Bentley and Rolls have over Mercedes is a higher level of hand craftsmanship and better leather/wood choices. In nearly every other way a Mercedes has been a superior car for years.

Unless you're talking about the Phantom or the Mulsanne, they're the only ones that there is "no comparison" with.

A Ghost is a better 7-Series and a Flying Spur is still based on the outdated VW Phaeton chassis. Hardly bespoke vehicles.

M
Old 07-29-2013, 09:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Germancar1
No comparison? Why is that? What is true luxury?

All Bentley and Rolls have over Mercedes is a higher level of hand craftsmanship and better leather/wood choices. In nearly every other way a Mercedes has been a superior car for years.

Unless you're talking about the Phantom or the Mulsanne, they're the only ones that there is "no comparison" with.

A Ghost is a better 7-Series and a Flying Spur is still based on the outdated VW Phaeton chassis. Hardly bespoke vehicles.

M
My SuperSports is far more luxurious than my E55 ever thought of being... With what are you basing this comment on?
Old 07-29-2013, 11:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

My SuperSports is far more luxurious than my E55 ever thought of being... With what are you basing this comment on?
Well first of all you would need to an apples to apples comparison. Of course a E-Class isn't going to touch a Bentley.

I'm talking about a S-Class vs the Ghost and the Flying spur.

People always say that Rolls and Bentley are in a different class and operate on a different level I've yet to have anyone come up with anything substantial to validate that.

That said, the Phantom and Mulsanne are untouchable, but the Ghost and Flying Spur are not IMO. This new S-Class can easily go wheel to wheel with them in most if not all categories. Only a few handmade details and color/material choices separate the "British" cars. If anyone feels like the Flying Spur and Ghost are head and shoulders above the S-Class I'd like to know how so and why?

M
Old 07-30-2013, 01:41 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

No one knows until we sit in the new S Class. You sit in a Ghost and then a W221 and although the W221 doesn't feel low quality, it feels far less specialty, more generic, less coddling, etc. The Ghost shows its roots to its BMW 7 core (who is in the same class as the W221 in itself so arguable as to whether that alone is more "luxurious" than a W221) but goes above and beyond in overall interior luxury and "specialness".

The W222 shows promising interior packages, but many of the pics of the basic setup, i.e no "diamond" stitching on the dash, etc., make it appear as if it'll be very noticeably of a more mass-produced, less special, less excessive-luxurious car than a Ghost. There will undoubtedly be more plastics, less plush materials, etc., especially in the basic packages.

Technology wise it's a different story. These cars only get what their parent companies can supply them. The RR's and Bentleys seem to get new technology the slowest in fact, as their life-cycles are much longer (therefore they hold dated tech the longest) and they don't get new stuff developed solely for them, being such limited edition cars. M-B and BMW will probably put more effort in putting the cutting edge/newest stuff in their S's and 7's and 5's before they do their Ghosts or Maybach's.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well first of all you would need to an apples to apples comparison. Of course a E-Class isn't going to touch a Bentley.

I'm talking about a S-Class vs the Ghost and the Flying spur.

People always say that Rolls and Bentley are in a different class and operate on a different level I've yet to have anyone come up with anything substantial to validate that.

That said, the Phantom and Mulsanne are untouchable, but the Ghost and Flying Spur are not IMO. This new S-Class can easily go wheel to wheel with them in most if not all categories. Only a few handmade details and color/material choices separate the "British" cars. If anyone feels like the Flying Spur and Ghost are head and shoulders above the S-Class I'd like to know how so and why?

M
My comments, if you read them, were regarding the OLD S Class...

Have you ever ridden in a Ghost or a Flying Spur? I have... I would definitely say they are superior to the S Class... Especially the old S Class... And the only reason the new S Class is as luxurious as it is, is because they lost the Maybach line and are using the S Class to compensate... And the base models of the new S Class are not nearly as "luxurious" when compared to all of these pictures they are showing with the upgraded interior options...

There is much more than "a few handmade details and color/material choices" that separate a Bentley or Rolls from a Mercedes...

I guess you are the type of person who buys a Tag instead of a Patek and states that the Tag is just as nice as the Patek because they both tell the time and no one could justify (to you) why a Patek has to cost $20,000 vs a Tag that costs $1,200...

Last edited by 06E55; 07-30-2013 at 07:21 AM.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by K-A
No one knows until we sit in the new S Class. You sit in a Ghost and then a W221 and although the W221 doesn't feel low quality, it feels far less specialty, more generic, less coddling, etc. The Ghost shows its roots to its BMW 7 core (who is in the same class as the W221 in itself so arguable as to whether that alone is more "luxurious" than a W221) but goes above and beyond in overall interior luxury and "specialness".

The W222 shows promising interior packages, but many of the pics of the basic setup, i.e no "diamond" stitching on the dash, etc., make it appear as if it'll be very noticeably of a more mass-produced, less special, less excessive-luxurious car than a Ghost. There will undoubtedly be more plastics, less plush materials, etc., especially in the basic packages.

Technology wise it's a different story. These cars only get what their parent companies can supply them. The RR's and Bentleys seem to get new technology the slowest in fact, as their life-cycles are much longer (therefore they hold dated tech the longest) and they don't get new stuff developed solely for them, being such limited edition cars. M-B and BMW will probably put more effort in putting the cutting edge/newest stuff in their S's and 7's and 5's before they do their Ghosts or Maybach's.
Exactly!!!
Old 07-30-2013, 08:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W210
Well I got a look at the new S-Class (as I'm in Europe).

Nothing that impressive in the esthetics department : the hype (really well done on their part) that was behind it was a bit overrating.
And sure it is even better than the W221 (finishes, design,etc...) (and I suppose driving wise too). Nevertheless, I still feel that the esthetical gap between the W220 and W221 was huge. This one seems like a major facelift update at best (for the standard model) (sort of like the one they did recently with the W212).

Still, I would much more go for an S than the Quattroporte (just for the options sake and because I feel that it would be more reliable).
Now regarding the gap between B and RR, it's closing in without doubt.
Also note (and some seem to omit this detail), is that in most of Europe, their are very narrow parkings (in malls, cityparkings, airports, etc...). Good luck getting around anywhere with a Phantom (not to mention you might want to avoid riding around with those cars in some parts!) ...

On that note, if you have the financial means, why not multiply the purchases ^^

Last edited by The Sting; 07-30-2013 at 08:48 AM.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:49 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

MB marketing has been a masterpiece with the W222 indeed. They knew exactly what everyone wanted to hear. People are losing their minds through the hype and I honestly too don't see much so extraordinarily special namely with interior and especially exterior design.

That said, segment leader it should undoubtedly be, which should be no surprise as nobody expects anything less from the S, and yes if I were shopping a car in this segment for now I'd choose the S over all others.... unless I seeked sharper and more exhilarating driving dynamics where I'd strongly consider the QP if I could get past it's looks and core platform/parts.

They keep showing these extremely gussied up W222 interiors but I think people will be surprised at how comparably "normal" the base interior will be. But sure, it'll be closer than the W221 was obviously. Then the next RR comes out, widens the gap, and so the cycle goes. It's been like this for ages with every new S VS RR and Bentley's already out.

Last edited by K-A; 07-30-2013 at 09:03 AM.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2005 ML350, 2008 GL320, 2013 Gl350
Originally Posted by K-A
MB marketing has been a masterpiece with the W222 indeed. They knew exactly what everyone wanted to hear. People are losing their minds through the hype and I honestly too don't see much so extraordinarily special namely with interior and especially exterior design.

That said, segment leader it should undoubtedly be, which should be no surprise as nobody expects anything less from the S, and yes if I were shopping a car in this segment for now I'd choose the S over all others.... unless I seeked sharper and more exhilarating driving dynamics where I'd strongly consider the QP if I could get past it's looks and core platform/parts.

They keep showing these extremely gussied up W222 interiors but I think people will be surprised at how comparably "normal" the base interior will be. But sure, it'll be closer than the W221 was obviously. Then the next RR comes out, widens the gap, and so the cycle goes. It's been like this for ages with every new S VS RR and Bentley's already out.

The comments about vehicles in marketing material and base vehicles dont just apply to MB, they apply to all manufacturers, including the face lifted phantom which retails for 450k-500k but the marketing material shows a vehicle that is closer to $600,000+, no one should be surpised, after all it is marketing.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Have you ever ridden in a Ghost or a Flying Spur? I have... I would definitely say they are superior to the S Class... Especially the old S Class... And the only reason the new S Class is as luxurious as it is, is because they lost the Maybach line and are using the S Class to compensate... And the base models of the new S Class are not nearly as "luxurious" when compared to all of these pictures they are showing with the upgraded interior options...

There is much more than "a few handmade details and color/material choices" that separate a Bentley or Rolls from a Mercedes...

I guess you are the type of person who buys a Tag instead of a Patek and states that the Tag is just as nice as the Patek because they both tell the time and no one could justify (to you) why a Patek has to cost $20,000 vs a Tag that costs $1,200...

Ghost no, Flying Spur yes, Continental GT more than a few times now. Nothing spectacular that put them head and shoulders above a Benz. It surely wasn't the ride comfort of the Bentley nor was it the comfort. Sure the seats were thicker and better padded and the leather was nicer than a Benz, sure. Those things don't equate to a car being oh so much better though, especially when the "cheaper" car is aces the fancier one from an engineering aspect. Unless you're talking about a Mulsanne, you're getting a highly modified VW with a great interior.

Upgraded interiors or not, the S has it, and that is the point. Again comparing apples to apples I don't see what the hype about the Bentley FS or CGT is about. When the S600, S65 AMG arrive I see no advantage outside of the leathers/woods and the name for the Rolls and Bentleys. They're trimmed out better for sure, but with this new S-Class even the press has stated that the S-Class ranges from being close to or in the same class as the Ghost and the FS.

I'm still waiting on someone to tell me what makes a Bentley of Rolls so much better than a Mercedes. A Bentley or Rolls other than the Phantom and the Mulsanne, because those cars are on another level from the moment you open the door, of which I have sat in now.

Watch analogies do nothing here if you can't explain what the detail differences are. Its another name drop session.

M
Old 07-30-2013, 12:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2005 ML350, 2008 GL320, 2013 Gl350
Ghost no, Flying Spur yes, Continental GT more than a few times now. Nothing spectacular that put them head and shoulders above a Benz. It surely wasn't the ride comfort of the Bentley nor was it the comfort. Sure the seats were thicker and better padded and the leather was nicer than a Benz, sure. Those things don't equate to a car being oh so much better though, especially when the "cheaper" car is aces the fancier one from an engineering aspect. Unless you're talking about a Mulsanne, you're getting a highly modified VW with a great interior.

Upgraded interiors or not, the S has it, and that is the point. Again comparing apples to apples I don't see what the hype about the Bentley FS or CGT is about. When the S600, S65 AMG arrive I see no advantage outside of the leathers/woods and the name for the Rolls and Bentleys. They're trimmed out better for sure, but with this new S-Class even the press has stated that the S-Class ranges from being close to or in the same class as the Ghost and the FS.

I'm still waiting on someone to tell me what makes a Bentley of Rolls so much better than a Mercedes. A Bentley or Rolls other than the Phantom and the Mulsanne, because those cars are on another level from the moment you open the door, of which I have sat in now.

Watch analogies do nothing here if you can't explain what the detail differences are. Its another name drop session.

M
we might as well all go out and buy a Hyundai Equus than
Old 07-30-2013, 12:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by cookstar
we might as well all go out and buy a Hyundai Equus than
Not hardly. There are clear differences between that heap than S-Class, 7-Series or a Audi A8.

Let me be clear here, I'm not saying that a Bentley or Rolls don't have their place, but I'm trying to get the reasons why they have such a place. Beyond their name, leather colors, organ pull switches and custom paint matching/choices because that is basically the crust of it, from what I see.

They don't out-tech a Mercedes, they don't outperform it. What makes them so great. Have yet to get a real answer on any forum besides their name. I'm talking about the Flying Spur and Ghost, not the Mulsanne and the Phantom, or even the Wraith.

M
Old 07-30-2013, 05:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 940 Likes on 686 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic

Hell I would love to have a Tag....

Last edited by MBNUT1; 07-30-2013 at 05:52 PM.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:07 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

I'm not the biggest Ghost fan because as classy and nice as it is it looks kinds of nondescript and bland, and I've mistaken it for a Chrysler or Buick more than once. Also any RR or Bentley is fundamentally overpriced. However if you sit in one you'll feel it's extra *tactile* luxury and premium aura over any S Class. The W222 material selection alone which you can very well see is of a more utilitarian breed. You can't put it into words with these cars sometimes, it's all about how they tickle your senses and they know that very well.

Now if they're based on too old of architecture like the Maybach or 4 Door Continental then they easily may not compare to brand new $100K cars.

Cookstar. Good point but I feel the W222 Marketing really went to a new level and painted a big halo over the car, which people lapped up. I haven't seen one picture of the base setup which will undoubtedly be the most common, until I saw a real life pic of one, and it looked literally austere and almost bland compared to the highly optioned versions we keep seeing. But yeah I guess overall that's common practice by marketing in general.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by K-A
I'm not the biggest Ghost fan because as classy and nice as it is it looks kinds of nondescript and bland, and I've mistaken it for a Chrysler or Buick more than once. Also any RR or Bentley is fundamentally overpriced. However if you sit in one you'll feel it's extra *tactile* luxury and premium aura over any S Class. The W222 material selection alone which you can very well see is of a more utilitarian breed. You can't put it into words with these cars sometimes, it's all about how they tickle your senses and they know that very well.

Now if they're based on too old of architecture like the Maybach or 4 Door Continental then they easily may not compare to brand new $100K cars.

Cookstar. Good point but I feel the W222 Marketing really went to a new level and painted a big halo over the car, which people lapped up. I haven't seen one picture of the base setup which will undoubtedly be the most common, until I saw a real life pic of one, and it looked literally austere and almost bland compared to the highly optioned versions we keep seeing. But yeah I guess overall that's common practice by marketing in general.
Couple of things to think about; most people in Europe will rarely see a fully optioned S550 (aka S500), S63 or S65. Most S-Class model sold there will be smaller engined/Diesel models with more basic interior options.

In the US, however, the default S-Class models in showrooms are S550's with $15K in options. We are simply used to more plush versions.

One point to luxury; it is stated here that Bentley and RR are a step above MB and while that's true on the interior materials, it seems to suggest that MB somehow can't get there if they wanted to. MB can do luxury interiors and showed that in the Maybach.

Never a great looking car but the interior beat the Phantom easily. Comparison tests at the time, called the Phantom the "drivers" car while the Maybach was the luxurious car to be chauffeured in.

Here is an old link of the Maybach I had on loan from Mercedes
https://mbworld.org/forums/maybach-w...-pictures.html
Old 07-30-2013, 11:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I've always said that the Maybach beat the Rolls and Bentley in its build and quality, but all those interior pieces were right out of the S-class and that is what killed it. Inside and out, it was just and outdated, but super Mercedes. The W221 S-Class KILLED the Maybach.

M
Old 07-31-2013, 06:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I will say Maybach did have great interiors. I have ridden in several. There was no denying it was a MB though... Not that there is anything wrong with that... Just reeked of S Class all over it... And I think that is why Maybach flopped... Why get a Maybach (if you didn't want a RR or Bentley) if you could option out an S Class for much less money and get pretty much the same care...

I guess this debate all boils down to what one considers luxury... Just like I have 1500 thread count egyptian cotton sheets and a Hastens mattress, some consider 500 thread count and a Sealy luxury...
Old 07-31-2013, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
10 S550 4matic Palladium, 12 G550 Edition Select Silver, 10 BMW 128i Cabrio Blue Water
I will say Maybach did have great interiors. I have ridden in several. There was no denying it was a MB though... Not that there is anything wrong with that... Just reeked of S Class all over it... And I think that is why Maybach flopped... Why get a Maybach (if you didn't want a RR or Bentley) if you could option out an S Class for much less money and get pretty much the same care...

I guess this debate all boils down to what one considers luxury... Just like I have 1500 thread count egyptian cotton sheets and a Hastens mattress, some consider 500 thread count and a Sealy luxury...
Wow...this guy reminds me of my neighbour, who always tells me how expensive everything is in his house every time I go there. IMO.. the S class is by far the best car available under 300K. In recent years I've had an 07, 10 and now a 13 and have ordered a 14 which I may swap for a 14 s63 which will for the first time have 4matic. In between the 10 and 13 I owned a 12 FF (Ferrari) for about 9 months. Boy, was I glad to get back into an S. I lost huge on depreciation (was expected) but many, many issues with the FF car. The Italian cars are just not reliable and old tech except for the engines. The English cars are POS.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by 13pauls
Wow...this guy reminds me of my neighbour, who always tells me how expensive everything is in his house every time I go there. IMO.. the S class is by far the best car available under 300K. In recent years I've had an 07, 10 and now a 13 and have ordered a 14 which I may swap for a 14 s63 which will for the first time have 4matic. In between the 10 and 13 I owned a 12 FF (Ferrari) for about 9 months. Boy, was I glad to get back into an S. I lost huge on depreciation (was expected) but many, many issues with the FF car. The Italian cars are just not reliable and old tech except for the engines. The English cars are POS.
Who mentioned anything about price? Price doesn't always equal better... You can get 1500 thread count sheets at Ross for Christ sake... I am merely stating what is luxurious to some isn't luxurious to others... And you know English cars are POS from what experience?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Any one looking at the new Quattroporte?