S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

The buying experience......am I alone?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 12:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 Mercedes S550
The buying experience......am I alone?

A lot of talk over the different forums on who likes what about the S class. But as a buyer (who is about to order this week), I'm in real need of some people to talk about the buying process and share it with me. So far, I haven't gotten anything on that.

I would like to hear experiences/expectations from potential fall buyers like myself......such as the dealer you're going with, how you're going to buy (order or wait for lot arrivals), do you plan to finance, lease, or buy cash, and do you plan to negotiate or pay full msrp?.....

I hate to go into the experience alone and blind. Is there anyone out there who's in this boat with me?.....
Old 08-19-2013, 01:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
14 S8, 07 E63 Designo, on order 14 G63
I am planning to purchase one by the end of this year. I prefer to purchase rather than order one; because of more negotiating power. The reason why I chose end of the year is because dealers are either trying to meet the numbers or exceed the numbers to get better "trunk money/incentives" for the next year. But I am very particular about interior and exterior color and no so on the optional items (prefer designo packages but rare to find).

I have 6 local dealership within 25 miles radius; all top notch. They all bend over backwards to keep the client happy. I have not decided on finance or lease but leaning towards lease.

I shop around for at least 2 weeks and visit at least 2 different dealers before making a decision. I request online quote too from dealers out of state (with similar options) and use them against my local dealers. But all 6 dealers in my area are high volume dealerships so they offer good deals.

As rule of thumb; package/price is depended on demand/supply. Usually new models will have higher demand in the early months but eventually will level out.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:31 PM

2014 Mercedes S550
I would like to wait till December as well, but my only concern is that they won't have the color and combo I really want. And though negotiating power will be better, I'll be compromising on something about the car. If I order it, I'll get exactly what I want, but like you said I may not be able to negotiate a dime off of it. I wonder if there is anyone out there who has negotiated an order.....
Old 08-19-2013, 01:57 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,353 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
I too would rather configure and order, than pick something already on the lot......
after having configured three already, I can't see going a different route.....
I'd certainly try and get the best price I could; plan on paying cash.....
also I'd like the designo this go around too
Old 08-19-2013, 02:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts
2014 S550 - SOLD, 2014 GL550 - SOLD, 2014 GL63 AMG, 2015 S63 AMG Sedan, 2015 S63 AMG Coupe
I ordered mine back in May. Its scheduled for September 3D due to delay in 811 - Burmester high end sound system.
I like the order process rather than get one off the lot.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:56 PM

2014 Mercedes S550
Originally Posted by sam9187
I ordered mine back in May. Its scheduled for September 3D due to delay in 811 - Burmester high end sound system.
I like the order process rather than get one off the lot.

This will be my first order if I do.....What about the process you like so much? Also, do you not mind paying full msrp by doing so?
Old 08-19-2013, 03:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 S550 - SOLD, 2014 GL550 - SOLD, 2014 GL63 AMG, 2015 S63 AMG Sedan, 2015 S63 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by Kratos-TM
This will be my first order if I do.....What about the process you like so much? Also, do you not mind paying full msrp by doing so?
I like that I can configure the car based on what I want such as exterior / interior combinations. I ordered an Obsidian Black with Exclusive Black Nappa Leather with few other options. I don't think I could have found a car with my specs on the lot.

Also just because I ordered does not automatically mean MSRP. I think I will pay the same whether its ordered or picked from the lot.

I just picked up a GL63 last week that I ordered and I did not pay MSRP.
Old 08-19-2013, 04:36 PM

2014 Mercedes S550
I like that I can configure the car based on what I want such as exterior / interior combinations. I ordered an Obsidian Black with Exclusive Black Nappa Leather with few other options. I don't think I could have found a car with my specs on the lot.

Also just because I ordered does not automatically mean MSRP. I think I will pay the same whether its ordered or picked from the lot.

I just picked up a GL63 last week that I ordered and I did not pay MSRP.

Wow, how does that work when you show up......

"Excuse me, I'm here to pick up the car I ordered.
Ok sir, here it is.
Oooooh, did I order all of those options?
Yes sir you did.
Well I'm not paying that price!"......LOL

Old 08-19-2013, 04:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Wow, how does that work when you show up......

"Excuse me, I'm here to pick up the car I ordered.
Ok sir, here it is.
Oooooh, did I order all of those options?
Yes sir you did.
Well I'm not paying that price!"......LOL

That's why you do business with a good dealer. Usually the price is discussed at the time of order. In my case I know they will be fair so I will discuss the price closer to the car reaching the dealership. Currently the US prices have not been released so there is no point of discussing the price. It worked well with my GL63 so I am not worried about the S-Class price.
Old 08-19-2013, 04:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
12 CLS550, 09 CLS550, 04Cooper,10 Cooper S
Kratos:

1. do you have a dealer you like to work with

2. do you have the order guide (PDF)

3. do you know when you want the car
Old 08-19-2013, 06:03 PM

2014 Mercedes S550
Originally Posted by LETO
Kratos:

1. do you have a dealer you like to work with

2. do you have the order guide (PDF)

3. do you know when you want the car

1. No....I've bought Mercedes cars from our dealer here in Mississippi, but I don't look it as a relationship I trust to give them loyalty. Been asking around with dealers all over the southeast U.S. trying to find one that seems trustworthy. To be honest, there's only one way to find a good one, and that's with a referral from someone. Because right now I have no clue who is a descent dealer.

2. Yes I have the order guide, and know what I want. I just wish the exclusive nappa had a price now...

3. I want the car by Thanksgiving. Looks like a long shot because a dealer in Houston told me the 1st wave of preorder is closed. And there's people waiting to get on the second wave. If you get on the second wave, you'll get a Nov/Dec delivery. If you don't get on the second wave, you won't get a car this year........according to her. Take it for what it's worth....

So all in all, I think I need to get this thing ordered and worry about the price later (and just hope it works out to be in my range). The main thing is I need to find a dealer people say is good, honest, and trustworthy.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1. No....I've bought Mercedes cars from our dealer here in Mississippi, but I don't look it as a relationship I trust to give them loyalty. Been asking around with dealers all over the southeast U.S. trying to find one that seems trustworthy. To be honest, there's only one way to find a good one, and that's with a referral from someone. Because right now I have no clue who is a descent dealer.

2. Yes I have the order guide, and know what I want. I just wish the exclusive nappa had a price now...

3. I want the car by Thanksgiving. Looks like a long shot because a dealer in Houston told me the 1st wave of preorder is closed. And there's people waiting to get on the second wave. If you get on the second wave, you'll get a Nov/Dec delivery. If you don't get on the second wave, you won't get a car this year........according to her. Take it for what it's worth....

So all in all, I think I need to get this thing ordered and worry about the price later (and just hope it works out to be in my range). The main thing is I need to find a dealer people say is good, honest, and trustworthy.

You can talk to my dealer - Mercedes Benz of Georgetown, Texas. My sales person is awesome and most honest and trust worthy I have come across in my car buying experience. Have nothing but good things to say about him.

I live in the Dallas area and drove 190 miles to buy from them instead of the Dallas area dealers.

Let me know if you are interested and I will give his info.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
N/A
You can talk to my dealer - Mercedes Benz of Georgetown, Texas. My sales person is awesome and most honest and trust worthy I have come across in my car buying experience. Have nothing but good things to say about him.

I live in the Dallas area and drove 190 miles to buy from them instead of the Dallas area dealers.

Hehe, small world. Been working with the same dealership as well. However, my rep had been saying the price pretty much would be the MSRP. Granted, we have only purchased one car previously from this dealership. I'm curious who your rep is.

On a somewhat related note, how much time do you have typically to change an order? Our order has the Burmester as well, which is causing the estimated production date to be September 3D. Still wanna tweak an option or two.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:36 PM

2014 Mercedes S550

Sure, I'm definitely interested in your rep and dealer. Right now I have nothing, lol.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by BadMojo
Hehe, small world. Been working with the same dealership as well. However, my rep had been saying the price pretty much would be the MSRP. Granted, we have only purchased one car previously from this dealership. I'm curious who your rep is.

On a somewhat related note, how much time do you have typically to change an order? Our order has the Burmester as well, which is causing the estimated production date to be September 3D. Still wanna tweak an option or two.
My rep is David Graham. We did not discuss pricing yet - will probably wait until the car is in production or on the way to the dealership.

Check with your rep to see how much time you have. My estimated production date is September 1D but since Burnester 3D Audio is delayed until 3D, I am expecting for the production to be delayed. My order is already locked and has been for past 2 weeks I.e. I cannot make any changes. Your order should locked soon.

What specs did you order? - I have obsidian black with exclusive black napa leather.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sure, I'm definitely interested in your rep and dealer. Right now I have nothing, lol.
Will send you a PM with his info.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:10 AM

2014 Mercedes S550
Will send you a PM with his info.

Received and appreciated.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:11 AM

12 CLS550, 09 CLS550, 04Cooper,10 Cooper S
Kratos: Check your PM
Old 08-20-2013, 08:56 AM

2014 Mercedes S550
Originally Posted by LETO
Kratos: Check your PM

Got it! Thanks!
Old 08-20-2013, 12:41 PM

N/A
My rep is David Graham. We did not discuss pricing yet - will probably wait until the car is in production or on the way to the dealership.

Check with your rep to see how much time you have. My estimated production date is September 1D but since Burnester 3D Audio is delayed until 3D, I am expecting for the production to be delayed. My order is already locked and has been for past 2 weeks I.e. I cannot make any changes. Your order should locked soon.

What specs did you order? - I have obsidian black with exclusive black napa leather.
That's funny - I've ordered an obsidian black with black nappa but trying to change it to the exclusive black nappa. For whatever reason, my rep is unable to make the change even though it hasn't locked yet (he tells me the order is still "yellow" in the system). The dealer is trying to get in touch with distribution to see what's the issue. I just hope this gets sorted before it locks.

I got most of the options save for the appearance package, tires, and wanted to preserve the five place seating.

Last edited by BadMojo; 08-20-2013 at 02:15 PM.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:40 PM

N/A

Estimates I've heard for the exclusive nappa is anywhere between $5-7K.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by BadMojo
That's funny - I've ordered an obsidian black with black nappa but trying to change it to the exclusive black nappa. For whatever reason, my rep is unable to make the change even though it hasn't locked yet (he tells me the order is still "yellow" in the system). The dealer is trying to get in touch with distribution to see what's the issue. I just hope this gets sorted before it locks.

I got most of the options save for the appearance package, tires, and wanted to preserve the five place seating.
Hopefully he can change it through distribution. I think there have been few problems trying to change the order when it was in the yellow status. I think you will be fine - you will like the exclusive nappa interior - it seems better - the leather is the same but you get more plus the headliner is dinamica.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:49 PM

2014 Mercedes S550
Thanks guys. This thread has been very helpful to me. Since the release in May, this is the first time I got help on the order info. Been talking to all the recommendations, about to place my order soon......probably today.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:56 AM

Ford Pickup
If I can be of assistance let me know. Our dealership is in NC and I see the owner on a daily basis. Additionally we have a new GM who is working hard to meet customer expectations. I also am attending a class this coming Tuesday on the new S class.

Also, sometimes when ordering a car you can negotiate the price because we don't have to sit on the car in the lot. It comes in and is already sold. We sell a large number of our cars through direct orders instead of off our lot. Just some food for thought.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:07 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,353 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by majorgunhoe
If I can be of assistance let me know. Our dealership is in NC and I see the owner on a daily basis. Additionally we have a new GM who is working hard to meet customer expectations. I also am attending a class this coming Tuesday on the new S class.

Also, sometimes when ordering a car you can negotiate the price because we don't have to sit on the car in the lot. It comes in and is already sold. We sell a large number of our cars through direct orders instead of off our lot. Just some food for thought.
where in NC?
what class? Are you a dealer?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The buying experience......am I alone?