S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

"Rattle City" update

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 03:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 E350 sedan
"Rattle City" update

Numerous video recordings, with sound, Not one single acknowledgemnt of any of the videos. Nor were any of them forwarded to MBNA, according to corporate. Later I find out that the videos were forwarded. Again, I do not want the dashboard tinkered with. No one at MBNA will do anything about it, except refer to dealership.....despite my ongoing rattle and creak issues from various locations. We all know what occurs when a dashboard is removed. As an FYI, at age 67, I've owned 33 new Benz's, never having complained to corporate about a single one. This '14 S550 mostly sits in my garage, with less than 800 miles on it. My '14 Cayman is silent as is my '14 Corrolla. The S drives well, but the noises, as mentioned in an earlier post, are a virtual concerto.....in dissonant, discordant surround sound!

How dare this company release any vehicle, much less one of this caliber this way? The "Keyless Go" functions 60% of the time. Stopped using that feature....renamed "Keyless Woe." As a footnote, MB has acknowledged problems with the new S, by giving dealerships $2,500 per vehicle to give to dissatisfied customers. If I wanted to be part of the "Beta run" of this vehicle, it should have been disclosed in advance to me.

I have offered to forgo the 8% tax on this car along with the $2,500 allocated to this car, just to have it removed from my garage. The dealership will do nothing, except rip out the dash.....along with perhaps four other areas. MBNA in NJ keeps telling me they will "reach out" to the dealership. "Reach out" is the new MB lingo for doing nothing. In the meantime, none of my videotapes were acknowledged.

The head of customer satisfaction at MBNA, above "Mary" asked me if I would be willing to "help out" and give something, along with MBNA and Walter's Mercedes (selling dealership). I eagerly said, "of course I will be glad to participate just to make this go away." I told her that I service my heart at UCLA enough after bypass surgery. I save that energy for my health, not my $100,000 plus car. She laughed, assured me I would hear back from her, if I could be patient and give her "until next week." That was three weeks ago.

I do not recommend this vehicle. I no longer can recommend Walter's Mercedes Benz. I will see to it that buyers are aware of issues with this vehicle, acknowledged quietly by corporate as evidenced by their offering each buyer $2,500 for their troubles......none of which was ever offered to me. $2,500 would do little to make me think of this vehicle as mine.

Last edited by OneThinkingGuy; 02-08-2014 at 01:58 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 02-07-2014, 04:08 PM

S 550
Wow, sorry to hear of your having so many issues with quality and cust service. We had some initial quality issues that I wouldn't expect with a car of this caliber but all is now going well for us. 1,000 miles now and enjoying the car.

MB does need to step up and make some critical changes to initial build quality.
Old 02-07-2014, 04:52 PM

SL550
Bad treatment, by the corporate offices, I'd say. The dealership is only interested in "rolling cars." Sounds like you've had an adulthood of these cars and have kept a strong allegiance. It is surprising with the history of your MB ownership the dealership and especially MB of North America have demonstrated such unprofessional responses! I had the same issue in the past with rattles in my dashboard which got worse after several go a rounds with MB tech interventions. Are you comfortable with sharing your experiences on Yelp and video on YouTube? Other potential buyers could benefit from your experiences. No wonder more and more MB buyers stray to Lexus. They know how to treat an unhappy customer. Very sorry you have to go through this. Keep your health up!
Old 02-07-2014, 06:13 PM

2010 E350 sedan
Curious that MBNA team supervisor Jenna Sussner finally returned my call, perhaps 2 hours after my post on this thread. I can only imagine that Walter's Mercedes forwarded my link to her. Maybe not? When asked, Ms. Sussner said that she had in fact read my posting. Ms. Sussner wanted me to represent the "whole story," which I thought I had done. As I stated here on this forum, as well as to Walter's Mercedes and Ms. Sussner, I do not want my car to be tinkered with, torn apart. Dashboard; window shades embedded in rear doors; seat belts; and chassis. Not on my clock. It is enough that I have supplied my dealership with iPhone videos with clear sound of rattles and creeks, along with Keyless Go inoperational. Since Ms. Sussner of MBNA asked for "fair representation".....on both sides, allow me to add some additional information: today I asked for her last name.....she initially would not share that with me. I then started to say "You have all of this information about me and you will not give me your full name?" Before I finished that sentence, she said "It's Jenna S." Again, I asked for her name, and reluctantly she gave it to me. I asked her how to spell it and we were disconnected precisely at that time. Five minutes later, Ms. Sussner called back. Just stating the facts. Her last words were "We consider this case now closed. Be well." As a footnote, I will copy and paste my experiences on other specific forums within each discussion group. Perhaps the younger demographic who are reading the CLA250 as well as the upcoming GLA250 forum should know what they may be getting themselves into.

Last edited by OneThinkingGuy; 02-08-2014 at 02:06 AM. Reason: Typos. Sorry! Spelling.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ML63
"We consider this case now closed"... Really????? What was the resolution?
Old 02-07-2014, 06:48 PM

2010 E350 sedan
"Closed"

To answer your question, "Terminator," after I reviewed with Ms. Sussner what my position was.....and that per her previous offer, that we might all do something to take the car back, there was virtually nothing she could do. I even offered to give up the tax I paid (close to $8,000). Ms. Sussner reiterated and then clearly stated that she "considered the case closed." She was happy to fix the car. Again, I do not want it taken apart. Usually generates more problems....even scratches and misfittings. From her position, there was nothing more to discuss. She wished me well and hung up. Period.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:00 PM

ML63
Thanks for the clarification. I'm sorry to hear about the lack of actionable outcome. Your story forces to reconsider many aspects of MB ownership.

Although my next question will not change this challenging situation, still wanted to ask:

Would you give them a try and get the dealer to fix one particular instance of the rattle issue (in the trim/area where they don't have multitude of options to screw things up, add scratches, etc.) just to see how it goes?
Old 02-07-2014, 07:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 169 Likes on 134 Posts
W140 Mercedes S350, W221 S550 sport
Originally Posted by OneThinkingGuy
As a footnote, I will copy and paste my experiences on other specific forums within discussion group. Perhaps the younger demographic who are reading the CLA250 as well as the upcoming GLA250 forum should know what they may be getting themselves into.
Well, those cars are put together in the US plant, and aren't going to feel close to an S class. I'm more of a Mercedes fan when it's 95% made where it came from originally.

Ms. Sussner reiterated and then clearly stated that she "considered the case closed." She was happy to fix the car. Again, I do not want it taken apart. Usually generates more problems....even scratches and misfittings. From her position, there was nothing more to discuss. She wished me well and hung up. Period.
Here is the problem. It's a first year model car. There are going to be issues no matter what and it sucks. Everyone is a beta tester to work out
the bugs. It happens for any first year car.

Now, you definitely have more problems going on that most. All they can do now is try to fix your current car. I know you are disgusted, don't want to waste anymore of your time, don't want the stress, and just want a new car. But, you can build your case by letting them attemt to fix it. If it is attemtped to be fixed and isn't resolved after multiple tries, then you can apply for lemon law, but you need to let them try.

What if they get rid of it all? Talk to the service manager. Tell him you want their "master tech" working on the car. This is the guy all the other guys go to for answers... If you think they aren't competent, try another dealer. There are Mercedes dealers that treat customers like gold. Remember, Mercedes pays the dealer to work on cars under warranty. Anyone that thinks they can only bring their car to the dealer they bought it from, "because they will take better care of me" isn't always true. They want your business.

Last edited by Jason B; 02-07-2014 at 07:10 PM.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:41 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 S550, 2011 E350 Cabriolet, Asgard Mothership
I'm not sure in any product warranty situation one can refuse to allow the provider to remedy the situation. I don't see that as reasonable nor an indictment of Mercedes Benz. Granted, if they cannot fix the issues to a reasonable person's satisfaction, you might have a cause of action.

Tom
39 Days to Stuttgart
Old 02-07-2014, 07:48 PM

2010 E350 sedan
Jason B......thank you for your ideas and your support as well. It's really a matter of comfort level. Taking apart the dashboard is like surgery to me. It's more frustrating to take the car back and start the "dance," listening closely. Perhaps I'm just old and crotchety at this point? Nah. I also drive a '14 Cayman, with manual 6 speed. I LOVE cars. I love architecture. Going into the dashboard is like elective brain surgery. It's a no, no. It's asking for more problems. Again, thanks. Please do not think of me as arrogant if I make a small correction: the CLA250 is being built at a new MB plant in Hungary!
Old 02-07-2014, 08:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 169 Likes on 134 Posts
W140 Mercedes S350, W221 S550 sport
Ok, whoops, I was thinking the the ML and GL and 2015 C class.

I know what you are saying, but at this point, you have no choice but to let them try, the head tech -- who is the surgeon with the most experience.

I've taken many car dashes apart, and have honestly fixed rattles from doing this. Sometimes the clips weren't right and bending them inward fixes a lot. You just need a guy who is precise.

Option #2. Call back Jenna Sussner. Tell her you want to talk to her supervisor. Tell he/she you've owned 33 Mercedes. Keep going up the ladder.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:32 PM

SL550
Onethinkingguy, I really understand where you're coming from. I do not want to be so pessimistic about the likelihood of the dealership correcting the issues you spell out, but in my case, the MB techs did not know their left hand from their right hand. Fixing each rattle or creak serves up as a new experiment for them, especially in a complicated vehicle during the first year of production. In my case, they literally made more rattles after their surgery! When I returned to them, the service manager stated that the sounds I hear, if any, are within normal limits. As "TomS" suggested, they have you trapped. They sold you a car. You own it. No other choice. I say cut your losses, get rid of it, and go Japanese as I am going to do. Better for your health.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:24 PM

2004.7 C180 Kompressor, BMW X5, Chevrolet Camaro LT, Mercedes S, Cesna 152.
Understand completely your pain. These issues should be non-existent. Rattles are a sign that the factory is not assembling cars diligently.
Steve Desko, Jenna Sussner & all the other incompetent Management Clowns at your Dealership need to be put up against a wall!
Get two posters made up with the words... "Rattle Lemon, Walter's MB", park in front of the Dealership 15 mins before opening time, with the sign fixed to the internal front & rear windows, then get your Wife to pick you up.

After you have done this for approx 2 days, you will have your new replacement car! Worked here in OZ for a guy, even made the 6.oopm News 2 nights running & yes he got a new car, these maggots don't like bad publicity.

Last edited by mercedes4ever; 02-07-2014 at 09:35 PM.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:27 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
04 Lexus LS430
this is fairly straight forward. go ahead and let them try to fix it.
after 3 attempts if the same problems persist you will invoke the CA lemon law. They will have to do a buyback to be in compliance with state law. You should be able to get all your money back minus a small deduction for mileage.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:20 PM

At a doctor's office in California, a man calls...

"Dr. Jones office, Jenna speaking..."

"Yes, hello. I have this terrible pain in my arm".

OK, the Jenna says, "Can we make an appointment for you?

Well, no, I just want you to fix it.

Yes, Sir, we would be glad to fix it, but we need to have a look at you.

No, you don't understand, I want you to fix it. Why can't you fix it for me?

I understand Sir, but we cannot fix it if you don't let us look at it.

Is there someone else I can speak to?

Please hold.....Yes, this is Dr. Jones.

Hi Dr. Jones, I was explaining to your receptionist that I have this terrible pain in my arm and she refused to do anything about it.

Yes Sir, well, I have to ask you to come in so we can get you fixed right up.

You people just don't understand. My arm is pretty complicated. I'm afraid if you start poking around on it, you will make it worse. I have had this arm my whole life and I have never had a problem with it. Now, why can't you just fix it?

Well Sir, if you won't let us fix it, I have to consider this case closed. There is nothing else we can do if you will not let us help.

I don't believe the service you are giving me after all, this is an expensive arm. I am going to go on the New Arm forum and tell everyone about this terrible service.

-----------------------

That is obviously a loose analogy but I have submit if you want to complain for its own sake or just vent, then have at it. We can listen understandingly. But, if you don't give them a chance, I think you lose your standing to complain. It's like the people that complain about the government but don't bother to vote.

Regards,

Tom
Old 02-07-2014, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by MBcarbuddy
Onethinkingguy, I really understand where you're coming from. I do not want to be so pessimistic about the likelihood of the dealership correcting the issues you spell out, but in my case, the MB techs did not know their left hand from their right hand. Fixing each rattle or creak serves up as a new experiment for them, especially in a complicated vehicle during the first year of production. In my case, they literally made more rattles after their surgery! When I returned to them, the service manager stated that the sounds I hear, if any, are within normal limits. As "TomS" suggested, they have you trapped. They sold you a car. You own it. No other choice. I say cut your losses, get rid of it, and go Japanese as I am going to do. Better for your health.
I did not even remotely imply they have him trapped. I suggested without giving them an opportunity to fix it, it is hard to expect any sort of warranty issue.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:35 PM

2005 Honda Odyssey, 2012 GTR
Sorry but you SHOULD give the dealer maybe not the one your not happy with but a dealer the chance to fix your issues. Maybe the easy ones first. Keyless go problems could just be a simple fix as replacing the keypod…? I just see how you can dash MB for a bad car when you don't let them fix it. Understand your frustration with a new model year car full of bugs and rattles. If they don't fix it right then you have proof that the problem exists and it wasn't corrected you will have a much better legal leg to stand on to pursue a new car.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:53 PM

SL550
I do not know anything about you Tom S. But let me say this: I have the experience of having my car looked at, torn apart by MB. They ruined my car. In retrospect I should have let it be. I do not know if you have had that experience. I have this feeling you work for the manufacturer. Wonder what Thinkingguy is thinking? You have a bit too much concern about the company rather than the consumer. Transparent.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by MBcarbuddy
I do not know anything about you Tom S. But let me say this: I have the experience of having my car looked at, torn apart by MB. They ruined my car. In retrospect I should have let it be. I do not know if you have had that experience. I have this feeling you work for the manufacturer. Wonder what Thinkingguy is thinking? You have a bit too much concern about the company rather than the consumer. Transparent.
You got me. My real name is Fritz. Good luck to you sir.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:43 PM

2012 C300 Sport 4MATIC (current) 2006 C280 Elegance 4MATIC (sold)
[QUOTE=Jason B;5934504]Well, those cars are put together in the US plant, and aren't going to feel close to an S class. I'm more of a Mercedes fan when it's 95% made where it came from originally.

The quality coming out of the Alabama plant seems very good in comparison of the days of the old ML. My neighbor has a 2009 GL550 AMG and he doesn't maintain or upkeep it properly and he says there are 0 issues with it at 150,000kms.

The South Africa C Classes are well built and the same goes for the BMW 3 Series built there. Heck, Bosch has a couple of manufacturing plants there.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:48 PM

2012 C300 Sport 4MATIC (current) 2006 C280 Elegance 4MATIC (sold)
I really feel for you. At this point in order to lemon the car they will have to attempt the repairs at least 3 times then at that point you can get yourself a lawyer to lemon the car. It's really a crying shame that after all the new MBs you've graciously purchased you're treated in such a poor manner. That "human touch" ceases to exist nowadays, the fact they're hanging up on you and not returning your calls is a clear sign they know they're guilty but that's the mentality nowadays, to blame somebody else. Keep up the good fight and for the hell of it consult a lawyer anyway to discuss potential directions you can take.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:54 PM

2010 E350 sedan
Thank you MBcarbuddy. I cannot tell you how much I appreciate your kind words and support. As for TomS.......he is one "rah rah" guy. Leave him alone. No reason to be harsh with him. I read his many many posts and see him as someone who reacts to dissonance. He is so "invested" in his order. I frankly do not know how anyone can make an almost career of writing essentially entirely pro company posts. He is excited about his forthcoming trip to Stuttgart....and that's great. I wish him the best and hope that his delivery is hassle free and that he gets a fine car, without problems. There are no lessons to be learned here. These are fine cars. Mine's a disappointment. Obviously I used to think that a Benz was more than mere transportation from point A to point B. Too bad mine just sits in my garage. Too annoying to drive for me. Again, thank you all for trying to be so helpful.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:06 AM

Thank you MBcarbuddy. I cannot tell you how much I appreciate your kind words and support. As for TomS.......he is one "rah rah" guy. Leave him alone. No reason to be harsh with him. I read his many many posts and see him as someone who reacts to dissonance. He is so "invested" in his order. I frankly do not know how anyone can make an almost career of writing essentially entirely pro company posts. He is excited about his forthcoming trip to Stuttgart....and that's great. I wish him the best and hope that his delivery is hassle free and that he gets a fine car, without problems. There are no lessons to be learned here. These are fine cars. Mine's a disappointment. Obviously I used to think that a Benz was more than mere transportation from point A to point B. Too bad mine just sits in my garage. Too annoying to drive for me. Again, thank you all for trying to be so helpful.
In all seriousness, thank you for the well wishes. I do hope it works out for you. I will say that if I am unfortunate enough to have an experience such as yours, I will be the loudest complainer and MB will rue the day they took my order. All I can go by at the moment is my MB ragtop and it has been--without hesitation--the finest car I have ever driven.

Good luck to you.

Tom
Old 02-08-2014, 12:08 AM

2010 E350 sedan
Thank you so much Kahn 28. You are so "humane" and supportive. I will go after the dealership for letting out a car like this after their inspection.....and I will go after MB. It was MB.....Mary to be exact, who informed me that this year 2014 S was my 33d new vehicle purchase from MB....and that I never complained once to them. I will call my real estate lawyer over the weekend and listen to what he recommends in the way of litigation, retaining a top law firm familiar with this. I have little issue parting with dollars when I believe I am not being handled well. As a footnote, I cancelled the Mbrace I had paid for in advance for essentially 3 years. The "Hot Spot" in the car runs close to the speed of "dial up." Useless...not as represented.

Last edited by OneThinkingGuy; 02-08-2014 at 02:04 AM. Reason: Typ
Old 02-08-2014, 12:19 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
I can fully understand the concern that Onethinkingguy has with the dealer starting to disassemble the interior.

No matter how detail oriented the MB service guys are (and they usual aren't) the interior will never be quite the same as when factory assembled.

Had that scenario on our W220 S-Class; we had an issue with the AC. Some smell of mold that required more or less a complete disassembly of the front interior. 40 hours of labor! and the car never felt as tight as it did before.

Over the years I have seen plenty of techs remove door and other panels and half the time they were to lazy to replace all the small clips that snap during disassembly. Plus greasing up the leather interior with dirty hands.

On our last 2013 SL the mechanic scratched the illuminated door sill right in front of my eyes and was surprised about me being upset about the scratches.

So, I would recommend to get the dealer swap the car with another one. With your low mileage and a lawyer this should be easy...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: "Rattle City" update