S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Are these options worth it? And price?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 06:21 PM

Received 309 Likes on 200 Posts
S600
Originally Posted by Streamliner
After 55+ new cars, I still can never seem to determine just WHEN the dealer is still making a profit
Does it really mater?

If you get a car you want,
and the dealer is willing to sell it to you,
then it really doesn't mater what the manufacture cut out of the game really is.
Old 12-08-2014, 01:09 PM

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
2018 E300 Luxury - P3 and more
Trust me, the dealer's always making a profit. Unless you've got naked photos of the owner in a compromising position, they're not going to lose money on your car. Even if they sell it "below invoice" there's still trunk money to be had. If you're trading a car, then they're definitely making money.

How can you determine that you're getting a good deal? Shop around! The first dealer I inquired about ordering a custom 2015 E350 said they'd only do MSRP for custom cars, no negotiation possible. Keep in mind we've dealt with the same saleshole and same dealership for 20+ years and that's the answer I was given. Needless to say this pissed me off and I called a bunch of dealers around the state, and in adjacent states, sending each of them my spec sheet. By the end of the first two hours I had $3,500 off. I kept bouncing offers off multiple dealers until the dealers started to say they weren't willing to go that low. THAT's when you know you're at the right price. Right now the car's on the ship and I've not taken delivery yet, but it looks like I'll be getting ~$6500-$8000 off. That's an E-Class, so YMMV with an S, but that's $6500-$8000 less than what the local dealer whom we've had a relationship for decades was willing to do.

Definitely shop OUTSIDE of your market -- the two closest dealers were both selling cars at MSRP only. The one dealer (not the one I've done business with over the years) admitted that they'd be willing to negotiate but AFTER high season when the snowbirds/retirees had gone home. When they're able to get MSRP or more for a car, even those on the lot, why would they sell for less? At least he was honest about it. Also, different markets have different incentives. It may very well make sense to fly out to a different state and pick up your car, or have it trucked in. Just factor that in your price.

For those who aren't military or have relatives who are, you can still join Pentagon Federal Credit Union (penfed.org) by joining the National Military Family Association or Voices for America's Troops. As of late, the USAA & PenFed Mercedes discounts are identical, although many dealers are unaware of it, so you'll have to push them to research it.

@verdegallardo: If your car is acting http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histrionic_personality_disorder, I'd suggest taking it into the dealer. Semi-autonomous driving / artificial intelligence is one thing. The car having a personality disorder is completely different and not what it was designed to do.