Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans > New S-Class (W222)
why is the 4matic sedan rated for better MPG than the coupe? >

why is the 4matic sedan rated for better MPG than the coupe?

Notices
New S-Class (W222) 2014-Present

why is the 4matic sedan rated for better MPG than the coupe?

 
Old 12-08-2014, 10:14 PM
  #1  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
syswei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: FL & CT
Posts: 1,229
Liked 75 Times in 65 Posts
2015 S550 Palladium/Deep Sea Blue, 2016 Tesla Model S 70D, 2015 Volvo XC70
why is the 4matic sedan rated for better MPG than the coupe?

On fueleconomy.gov, the S550 4matic coupe is listed as 16 city / 24 highway, the 4matic sedan 16/26. The S550 4matic sedan appears to have the same engine (someone correct me if I'm wrong), same 7G tranny (in the U.S.), is slightly heavier, and is taller. I don't know the drag coefficients, but to my eye the sedan looks less aerodynamic. So why would it get better highway mpg?

Could MB be fibbing?

Last edited by syswei; 12-08-2014 at 10:19 PM.
syswei is offline  
Old 12-09-2014, 10:33 AM
  #2  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 19
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
S550
I dont know the answer to your question. However my S550 sedan wouldn't get 26mpg unless I threw it off a cliff. The absolute best I ever saw was 24.5 and that was for a very short drive being extra conservative. General the average on highway is 21 to 23 at the very top. It's a pig.
dje.s550 is offline  
Old 12-09-2014, 10:44 AM
  #3  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
MTrauman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,094
Liked 181 Times in 124 Posts
‘19 AMG S63
Originally Posted by dje.s550 View Post
I dont know the answer to your question. However my S550 sedan wouldn't get 26mpg unless I threw it off a cliff. The absolute best I ever saw was 24.5 and that was for a very short drive being extra conservative. General the average on highway is 21 to 23 at the very top. It's a pig.




Attached Please find my best MPG on a recent long 2000 mile trip. Normally mixed highway/city my mileage does not touch my reported 25.2 mpg. With that said, the picture is the best MPG I have been able to pull off on my '14 S550 4matic.
Attached Thumbnails why is the 4matic sedan rated for better MPG than the coupe?-trip-mpg-oct-14.jpg  
MTrauman is offline  
Old 12-09-2014, 11:40 AM
  #4  
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Port St. Lucie Florida
Posts: 105
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2009 SL600, 2015 Lexus RX450h, 2014 S550
Originally Posted by dje.s550 View Post
I dont know the answer to your question. However my S550 sedan wouldn't get 26mpg unless I threw it off a cliff. The absolute best I ever saw was 24.5 and that was for a very short drive being extra conservative. General the average on highway is 21 to 23 at the very top. It's a pig.
Oink oink, I've seen 28 mpg @ 70 mph for about 30 miles on a 170 mi trip.
I usually average 25.5 mpg to 26.5 mpg @ 70 mph on the same road for the same distance here in South FL with 20" run flats.

Now for my secret: when using premium 93 octane fuel I only get 23-24 mpg under the same above conditions with my 2014 S550.
Experimenting with regular 87 octane fuel I get the better fuel economy.

This is why: the higher the octane the less BTUs in a gallon of gas.
If more octane is added to the volume of gas, some gas needs to be reduced to make room for the octane additive. Octane does nothing for fuel economy.

Octane is what keeps our engine from detonation or pinging. Since I haven't experienced any pinging or detonation and don't drag race my S550 for competition, I haven't found any loss of power or performance to date.

I started with premium like most of us do. Then mixing premium with mid grade, then just mid grade, then premium with regular, then just regular. My fuel economy continued to improve with no ill effect.

Experiment at your own risk. I'd start with a near empty tank, fill half with regular fuel and drive. If you have a hint of pinging then fill the remaining volume with premium fuel. If you have no I'll effect continue to use regular but monitor what you hear & feel. Start first with a baseline what premium gets you for fuel economy. Then see if there's improvment using the less expensive fuel.

With fuel prices dropping I've noticed premium prices falling slower than regular gas. It use to be a 20 to 30 price difference between regular gas & premium gas. I've seen locally as much as 80 a gallon difference between regular gas & premium gas.
Cptdenny is offline  
Old 12-09-2014, 01:38 PM
  #5  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
syswei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: FL & CT
Posts: 1,229
Liked 75 Times in 65 Posts
2015 S550 Palladium/Deep Sea Blue, 2016 Tesla Model S 70D, 2015 Volvo XC70
Originally Posted by Cptdenny View Post
Oink oink, I've seen 28 mpg @ 70 mph for about 30 miles on a 170 mi trip.
I usually average 25.5 mpg to 26.5 mpg @ 70 mph on the same road for the same distance here in South FL with 20" run flats.

Now for my secret: when using premium 93 octane fuel I only get 23-24 mpg under the same above conditions with my 2014 S550.
Experimenting with regular 87 octane fuel I get the better fuel economy.

This is why: the higher the octane the less BTUs in a gallon of gas.
If more octane is added to the volume of gas, some gas needs to be reduced to make room for the octane additive. Octane does nothing for fuel economy.

Octane is what keeps our engine from detonation or pinging. Since I haven't experienced any pinging or detonation and don't drag race my S550 for competition, I haven't found any loss of power or performance to date.

I started with premium like most of us do. Then mixing premium with mid grade, then just mid grade, then premium with regular, then just regular. My fuel economy continued to improve with no ill effect.

Experiment at your own risk. I'd start with a near empty tank, fill half with regular fuel and drive. If you have a hint of pinging then fill the remaining volume with premium fuel. If you have no I'll effect continue to use regular but monitor what you hear & feel. Start first with a baseline what premium gets you for fuel economy. Then see if there's improvment using the less expensive fuel.

With fuel prices dropping I've noticed premium prices falling slower than regular gas. It use to be a 20 to 30 price difference between regular gas & premium gas. I've seen locally as much as 80 a gallon difference between regular gas & premium gas.
I had read that 'modern' engines can use regular gas to no ill effect, so I switched to regular-only maybe 2 years ago. Nary a ping or any other issue evident.

EDIT: ...on my 2008.

Last edited by syswei; 12-09-2014 at 02:24 PM.
syswei is offline  
Old 12-09-2014, 02:56 PM
  #6  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 19
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
S550
I have had naturally aspirated engines before that stated they required premium and I used regular without any issues. However in my S550 I have been using premium (91 is best we can get here in CA) since new. I am worried that with the turbos it might have a problem or blow something up under boost pressure.

Any thoughts on this? I know in the Ford Ecoboost engines which are also twin turbo you can use regular with some "loss of performance" but the power difference can never actually be felt driving one. So I wonder if that is the same in the MB or if we would risk some failure under boost by using 87 octane.

Any comments on this?
dje.s550 is offline  
Old 12-09-2014, 04:54 PM
  #7  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Midwest.
Posts: 4,841
Liked 425 Times in 343 Posts
'18 E63s ED1, '17 SL550, '14 ML350
Originally Posted by dje.s550 View Post
I have had naturally aspirated engines before that stated they required premium and I used regular without any issues. However in my S550 I have been using premium (91 is best we can get here in CA) since new. I am worried that with the turbos it might have a problem or blow something up under boost pressure.

Any thoughts on this? I know in the Ford Ecoboost engines which are also twin turbo you can use regular with some "loss of performance" but the power difference can never actually be felt driving one. So I wonder if that is the same in the MB or if we would risk some failure under boost by using 87 octane.

Any comments on this?
Not sure about how the engine reacts, but I can tell you that MB would be happy to use that info as grounds for voiding a warranty in case of an engine problem/failure.

That said, these engines are designed to handle various grades of fuel around the world as many countries aren't as strict in controlling the fuel grades on pumps.

US fuel is not that great either with the ethanol supplement that varies by state.
Wolfman is offline  
Old 12-09-2014, 05:05 PM
  #8  
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Port St. Lucie Florida
Posts: 105
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2009 SL600, 2015 Lexus RX450h, 2014 S550
Originally Posted by dje.s550 View Post
I have had naturally aspirated engines before that stated they required premium and I used regular without any issues. However in my S550 I have been using premium (91 is best we can get here in CA) since new. I am worried that with the turbos it might have a problem or blow something up under boost pressure.

Any thoughts on this? I know in the Ford Ecoboost engines which are also twin turbo you can use regular with some "loss of performance" but the power difference can never actually be felt driving one. So I wonder if that is the same in the MB or if we would risk some failure under boost by using 87 octane.

Any comments on this?
Some of your answers to your question can be found here:
http://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy/...g-premium.html

I noticed that our cars "require" premium fuel so I'm taking a risk running on regular fuel. I may have to rethink my choice of fuels even though my fuel economy will drop using premium fuel. Oh well at least I know in a pinch the S550 will run on regular.
Cptdenny is offline  
Old 12-09-2014, 05:10 PM
  #9  
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Port St. Lucie Florida
Posts: 105
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2009 SL600, 2015 Lexus RX450h, 2014 S550
Here's a question.
Since difference in regular fuel prices to premium fuel locally can be 80 a gallon, would adding octane booster to a regular gas fill up make better money sense?
Cptdenny is offline  
Old 12-09-2014, 10:01 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 447
Likes: 0
Liked 39 Times in 37 Posts
S600
Originally Posted by dje.s550 View Post
I dont know the answer to your question. However my S550 sedan wouldn't get 26mpg unless I threw it off a cliff. The absolute best I ever saw was 24.5 and that was for a very short drive being extra conservative. General the average on highway is 21 to 23 at the very top. It's a pig.
I can get 24 MPG in my S600!

It must be the way you drive.
Mitch Alsup is offline  
Old 12-09-2014, 10:06 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 447
Likes: 0
Liked 39 Times in 37 Posts
S600
Originally Posted by Cptdenny View Post
This is why: the higher the octane the less BTUs in a gallon of gas.

Octane is what keeps our engine from detonation or pinging.
Both of the above are true, but why they are true is counter intuitive.

Lower octane will create greater pressure in the cylinders. As long as this greater pressure occurs after TDC the engine makes more power.
Mitch Alsup is offline  
Old 12-10-2014, 12:30 AM
  #12  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 19
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
S550
Originally Posted by Mitch Alsup View Post
I can get 24 MPG in my S600!

It must be the way you drive.
Might be California fuel as well. I know we have a different mix but not sure what is exactly different about it.
dje.s550 is offline  
 

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Quick Reply: why is the 4matic sedan rated for better MPG than the coupe?


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: