S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Why One Should Not Buy A Tesla Model S

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 2.50 average.

Old 05-25-2016, 05:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Originally Posted by ER1
Thank you syswei for your kind comments. That's exactly what I wanted to offer - my humble opinion about MB vs. Tesla based on my real-world experiences owning both cars and being a car enthusiast that enjoys the best high-end cars.

IMHO, a Model S is a very real alternative for even the new S class, and I am proof of that. I was originally shopping for either a 4.0TT Audi S8, W222 S550 4matic or CLS63 AMG 4matic, but after test driving the Tesla it was such a positively different experience that I had to have it. I've never looked back and never regretted my decision. Only the interior and some amenities I listed earlier are something I miss from the Audi S8 or S class, but the Model S is a futuristic car that grows on you.

absent - we have absolutely zero incentives here in Finland to buy a Tesla. Norway is a completely different story. Actually it would have been cheaper for me to buy a used or new Audi S8, S550 4matic or CLS63 AMG than a P85D. Only a W222 S63 would be more expensive. At over 160.000 euros my Tesla Model S P85D is the most expensive car I have ever bought and I would never have paid so much for the other gas cars I listed. The Tesla is just overall a more fun car to drive (again, my opinion) and I think it's worth every penny. As an example, I actually took a 2-hour pointless cruise around town last week in my Tesla just to enjoy the exceptional magic carpet ride and rollercoaster feeling and enjoying the silence with the panorama roof open. I have never done that (doing pointless extra driving) in any of my previous cars, not even the Porsche. No other car feels like the electric Tesla. You have to experience it yourself, and I fell in love with it. Based on 400,000+ reservations for the Model 3, many agree with me. I understand and respect that everyone does not feel the same as long as it is based on one's opinion and/or facts, not prejudice and purpose-driven FUD. A gas car still has some positives such as a longer range for non-stop driving, but for my purposes the 400+ km range of the Model S is sufficient and superchargers are actually very convenient and make long trips relaxing.
Thanks for clearing that up, I am very familiar with Norway (have family there) and wrongly assumed Finland (being part of Scandinavia) would be similar.
In that situation my hat's to you, we have similar pricing in US on all the cars you mentioned and after long weekend (4 days) of testing the SP90D I have decided Tesla was definitely not for me and ended with the Audi to carry me over until S65 4Matic arrives in 2018.
Old 05-25-2016, 07:49 PM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
s63
This is my beef with Tesla owners, EVERY other car is crap, and THEIRS is a god-send. And ANYONE that criticizes Tesla is now their personal target. This is exactly activism - "if you are not using clean energy then you are a murderer of babies"

First of all, instead of defending Tesla, she/he chooses to go right after me, insulting me "as a person". Have I even talked to you?, Do I even know you?, Who are you to judge me? If you had brains to read my posts, I owned an S60 that I sold after 6-7 months, because I found it as a marketing hype and the car was worth half its price, the range calculator used to move like a dial depending on its mood ... if the car sits for 3-4 days (the range drops like water leaking from a tap). Now, you have right to defend your favorite vehicle, but to go after me so viciously ... that is pathetic.

Secondly, again, instead of defending Tesla, you chose to trash the GM. Classic ideologue activism.

Thirdly, you chose to market the credits to Tesla, the link below, but you forgot to include the "misleading hype" that Consumer Reports itself chided Tesla on. Tech Analyst Nick Janes, sums it up well:
http://mashable.com/2015/10/28/tesla-hype/#gK0ckEkvXgqL

So to ER1: No Sir, I am not a murderer of babies, its just that you are nuts

Originally Posted by ER1

he has registered just to bash Tesla and Tesla owners, since all of his posts are 100% anti-Tesla, .... Probably someone who has never even seen a Tesla, ... probably someone, who can't even afford an S-class or a Tesla. Someone who clearly has a personal agenda against Tesla and Tesla owners - probably lost money on shorts or works for GM based on the statements below:

Yes, GM certainly and undeniably is a company with century-long traditions of maximizing profits causing injuries and death to hundreds of people...

http://blog.caranddriver.com/gm-igni...-274-injuries/
https://www.theguardian.com/business...ignition-fault
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-gm...A2D02U20140314
http://www.cheatsheet.com/automobile...tml/?a=viewall

vs.

http://www.autotrader.com/car-news/t...y-score-213356

Last edited by fathom6; 05-25-2016 at 08:05 PM.
Old 05-25-2016, 08:03 PM

s63
+1

Originally Posted by MTrauman
The Tesla Fanboys better start reading the technical literature before spending too much money on electric cars. The Tesla fans better start to understand where Lithium comes from and how much is available in the world.

Below is an excerpt of some information about Lithium and why many experts believe electric cars are doomed especially in mass scale. I am just not willing to take the leep when I am buying a car.

Vikström, H., Davidsson, S., Höök, M. 2013). Lithium availability and future production outlooks. Applied Energy, 110(10): 252-266.

[ Extracts from this 28-page paper. It is by far the best paper explaining lithium reserves, lithium chemistry, recycling, political implications, and more. I’ve left out the charts, graphs, references, and much of the text, to see them go to the original paper in the link above.
I personally don’t think that electric cars will ever be viable because battery development is too slow, see my post at Who Killed the Electric Car. The most up-to-date version of this, and several other chapters on utility-scale energy storage (also very dependent on lithium), and the electrification of heavy-duty transportation, is in my book When Trains Stop Running: Energy and the Future of Transportation.
In my book, here are some excerpts about lithium and energy storage:
Li-ion energy storage batteries are more expensive than PbA or NaS, can be charged and discharged only a discrete number of times, can fail or lose capacity if overheated, and the cost of preventing overheating is expensive. Lithium does not grow on trees. The amount of lithium needed for utility-scale storage is likely to deplete known resources (Vazquez, S., et al. 2010. Energy storage systems for transport and grid applications. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics 57(12): 3884).
To provide enough energy for 1 day of storage for the United states, li-ion batteries would cost $11.9 trillion dollars, take up 345 square miles and weigh 74 million tons (DOE/EPRI. 2013. Electricity storage handbook in collaboration with NRECA. USA: Sandia National Laboratories and Electric Power Research Institute)
Barnhart et al. (2013) looked at how much materials and energy it would take to make batteries that could store up to 12 hours of average daily world power demand, 25.3 TWh. Eighteen months of world-wide primary energy production would be needed to mine and manufacture these batteries, and material production limits were reached for many minerals even when energy storage devices got all of the world’s production (with zinc, sodium, and sulfur being the exceptions). Annual production by mass would have to double for lead, triple for lithium, and go up by a factor of 10 or more for cobalt and vanadium, driving up prices. The best to worst in terms of material availability are: CAES, NaS, ZnBr, PbA, PHS, Li-ion, and VRB (Barnhart, C., et al. 2013. On the importance of reducing the energetic and material demands of electrical energy storage. Energy Environment Science 2013(6): 1083–1092). ]
Abstract
Lithium is a highly interesting metal, in part due to the increasing interest in lithium-ion batteries. Several recent studies have used different methods to estimate whether the lithium production can meet an increasing demand, especially from the transport sector, where lithium-ion batteries are the most likely technology for electric cars. The reserve and resource estimates of lithium vary greatly between different studies and the question whether the annual production rates of lithium can meet a growing demand is seldom adequately explained. This study presents a review and compilation of recent estimates of quantities of lithium available for exploitation and discusses the uncertainty and differences between these estimates. Also, mathematical curve fitting models are used to estimate possible future annual production rates. This estimation of possible production rates are compared to a potential increased demand of lithium if the International Energy Agency’s Blue Map Scenarios are fulfilled regarding electrification of the car fleet. We find that the availability of lithium could in fact be a problem for fulfilling this scenario if lithium-ion batteries are to be used. This indicates that other battery technologies might have to be implemented for enabling an electrification of road transports.
Highlights:
  • Review of reserves, resources and key properties of 112 lithium deposits
  • Discussions of widely diverging results from recent lithium supply estimates
  • Forecasting future lithium production by resource-constrained models
  • Exploring implications for future deployment of electric cars
Introduction
Global transportation mainly relies on one single fossil resource, namely petroleum, which supplies 95% of the total energy [1]. In fact, about 62% of all world oil consumption takes place in the transport sector [2]. Oil prices have oscillated dramatically over the last few years, and the price of oil reached $100 per barrel in January 2008, before skyrocketing to nearly $150/barrel in July 2008. A dramatic price collapse followed in late 2008, but oil prices have at present time returned to over $100/barrel. Also, peak oil concerns, resulting in imminent oil production limitations, have been voiced by various studies [3–6].
It has been found that continued oil dependence is environmentally, economically and socially unsustainable [7].
The price uncertainty and decreasing supply might result in severe challenges for different transporters. Nygren et al. [8] showed that even the most optimistic oil production forecasts implied pessimistic futures for the aviation industry. Curtis [9] found that globalization may be undermined by peak oil’s effect on transportation costs and reliability of freight.
Barely 2% of the world electricity is used by transportation [2], where most of this is made up by trains, trams, and trolley buses.
A high future demand of Li for battery applications may arise if society choses to employ Li-ion technologies for a decarbonization of the road transport sector.
Batteries are at present time the second most common use, but are increasing rapidly as the use of li-ion batteries for portable electronics [12], as well as electric and hybrid cars, are becoming more frequent. For example, the lithium consumption for batteries in the U.S increased with 194 % from 2005 to 2010 [12]. Relatively few academic studies have focused on the very abundance of raw materials needed to supply a potential increase in Li demand from transport sector [13]. Lithium demand is growing and it is important to investigate whether this could lead to a shortfall in the future.

[My comment: utility scale energy storage batteries in commercial production are lithium, and if this continues, this sector alone would quickly consume all available lithium supplies: see Barnhart, C., et al. 2013. On the importance of reducing the energetic and material demands of electrical energy storage. Energy Environment Science 2013(6): 1083–1092.]
Aim of this study
Recently, a number of studies have investigated future supply prospects for lithium [13–16]. However, these studies reach widely different results in terms of available quantities, possible production trajectories, as well as expected future demand. The most striking difference is perhaps the widely different estimates for available resources and reserves, where different numbers of deposits are included and different types of resources are assessed. It has been suggested that mineral resources will be a future constraint for society [17], but a great deal of this debate is often spent on the concept of geological availability, which can be presented as the size of the tank. What is frequently not reflected upon is that society can only use the quantities that can be extracted at a certain pace and be delivered to consumers by mining operations, which can be described as the tap. The key concept here is that the size of the tank and the size of the tap are two fundamentally different things.
This study attempts to present a comprehensive review of known lithium deposits and their estimated quantities of lithium available for exploitation and discuss the uncertainty and differences among published studies, in order to bring clarity to the subject. The estimated reserves are then used as a constraint in a model of possible future production of lithium and the results of the model are compared to possible future demand from an electrification of the car fleet. The forecasts are based on open, public data and should be used for estimating long term growth and trends. This is not a substitute for economical short-term prognoses, but rather a complementary vision.
Data sources
The United States Geological Survey (USGS) has been particularly useful for obtaining production data series, but also the Swedish Geological Survey (SGU) and the British Geological Survey (BGS) deserves honourable mention for providing useful material. Kushnir and Sandén [18], Tahil [19, 20] along with many other recent lithium works have also been useful. Kesler et al. [21] helped to provide a broad overview of general lithium geology.

Information on individual lithium deposits has been compiled from numerous sources, primarily building on the tables found in [13–16]. In addition, several specialized articles about individual deposits have been used, for instance [22–26]. Public industry reports and annual yearbooks from mining operators and lithium producers, such as SQM [27], Roskill [28] or Talison Lithium [29], also helped to create a holistic data base.
In this study, we collected information on global lithium deposits. Country of occurrence, deposit type, main mineral, and lithium content were gathered as well as published estimates for reserves and resources. Some deposits had detailed data available for all parameters, while others had very little information available. Widely diverging estimates for reserves and resources could sometimes be found for the same deposit, and in such cases the full interval between the minimum and maximum estimates is presented. Deposits without reserve or resource estimates are included in the data set, but do not contribute to the total. Only available data and information that could be found in the public and academic spheres were compiled in this study. It is likely that undisclosed and/or proprietary data could contribute to the world’s lithium volume but due to data availability no conclusions on to which extent could be made.
Geological overview
Old 05-25-2016, 08:41 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by syswei
One thing I like about the Tesla sales experience is that once you put down a refundable $2500 deposit, you have a week before the order is locked in, and can borrow a loaner for a day or a weekend for an extended test drive. We put over 200 miles on one over a weekend. Individual MB dealers might do the same for a good customer, but afaik ALL Tesla locations, at least in the US, will do that for ANY customer.
I truly dislike traditional dealer-based sales models as too much money from the sales price of the car is non-value added. It doesn't improve the car or the final selling price.

At the same time Tesla's sales model a bare bone "on the cheap" one. Funny that Tesla customers defend a fixed selling price when in fact it is clearly not in their favor.

Getting a loaner for a weekend is nothing special; same as delivery and the deposit should be refundable until the moment the car is going to be in the actual production schedule.

Tesla simply has a lower cost of sales but it isn't passed on to customers.
Old 05-25-2016, 08:59 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ER1
MTrauman - I was not the one who started it (not you, but some here should look at the mirror) and I am stating facts just like PeterUbers. If PeterUbers feels the need to point out defects/problems and throw the Model S "under the bus", I expect mutual objectivity, since he seems to try to insinuate that a Model S is a particularly unreliable car. I would say based on my experience that a Model S is at least as reliable as an AMG car or better.

It is not true that I don't like any negative comments about Tesla. I have no stake in this except that I now own a Tesla car. We don't have any car companies here in Finland, but we actually do manufacture A model Mercedes cars in Uusikaupunki. Yes, we also used to manufacture the Fisker Karma. Tesla is NOT my car company, but I feel the need to defend it against unfounded claims and ****. IMHO Tesla is doing things differently in a positive manner compared with other old established car brands and they deserve a thumbs up. Established brands don't need it, but it is nice to hear that US MB dealers have good service.

I sure hope Tesla will not fail and not just because of my car purchase. I thought Americans as patriots would favor Tesla as a US company? I am surprised how much anti-Tesla talk there is on the Internet and it is mostly based on unfounded opinions and deliberate spreading of misinformation due to short or other interests. I personally want to counter this with some objective real-world experience and perspective having owned a wide range of German cars and now a Model S. I am not a critic-free fanboi as many Tesla owners seem to be, but I think the Model S is an excellent product I am happy to say it. If my opinion changes or if I have bad experiences (such as the handle breaking), I will say it also.
You seem to be defensive when nobody is attacking you. I think many of your comments are not related to comments of this board either.
Btw, since the Mercedes A-Class was never imported to the US, nobody will understand your roll-over comments.

You may find that many here like Tesla as another option for a car but disagree with a direct comparison with the S-Class as a luxury car (me included). Tesla fanboy comments like the one from WEBSRFR only seem to aggravate that.
I think everyone would enjoy an EV discussion in an off topic section.
Old 05-26-2016, 12:42 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,323 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
i hope the tesla has meteoric success .... It will only serve to push all car makes to be better as well
Old 05-26-2016, 06:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
M6 Gran Coupe
d

Last edited by mjr24; 05-26-2016 at 07:05 AM.
Old 05-26-2016, 07:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Just one more thing, Tesla dealers/services are not exclusively "God's dealers" (as described by Tesla owners here), I have absolutely fab experience with my gas burning cars.
MB dealer usually gave me an E550 (up to a month, a brand new car) while waiting for my new ordered car just so I can realize the best offer on my trade.
Most recent, Audi dealer with no history of my purchases from them, gave me a new S6 Prestige for 5 weeks( while waiting for S8Plus) so I could get max $$ for my E63S I was trading in.
I doubt Tesla would give you a new car for that long for free.
Old 05-26-2016, 10:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 289 Likes on 202 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
OMG, another bs thread about Tesla. I get why Tesla owners feel the need to constantly come here and compare to the S-Class, it's because the S-Class is the car to beat, but this is ridiculous. Any car can be an alternative to another in anyone's mind, doesn't mean it is true or true for everyone. Many agree with me because of XXX is a pathetic line of reasoning, and 400K orders don't mean squat until they are fulfilled. Tesla won't be able to put the car on the road when they say they will and it will be met with delays and a lot of bugs/problems just like everything else they make. Their build quality is terrible with panel gaps a mile wide on cars being built NOW. Yes the electric drivetrain is it, but that is about it. The rest of the car leaves a lot to be desired from a quality standpoint.

Likewise, GM and moral standards? WTF, GM is the worse POS company in the car making business by far. Liars, cheats and general incompetence at it's best is all GM is about. You must be on some powerful ****e to think GM is some type of standard for anything positive.

M

Last edited by Germancar1; 05-26-2016 at 10:39 AM.
Old 05-26-2016, 10:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 796 Likes on 752 Posts
2015 S550 Palladium/Deep Sea Blue, 2016 Tesla Model S 70D, 2015 Volvo XC70
Originally Posted by absent
MB dealer usually gave me an E550 (up to a month, a brand new car) while waiting for my new ordered car just so I can realize the best offer on my trade.
Most recent, Audi dealer with no history of my purchases from them, gave me a new S6 Prestige for 5 weeks( while waiting for S8Plus) so I could get max $$ for my E63S I was trading in.
I doubt Tesla would give you a new car for that long for free.
Interesting, maybe I should move to IL! I don't think the NY dealer I bought my S550 from would have done anything like that, since I beat him up on purchase price so much.
Old 05-26-2016, 11:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ER1
I actually took a 2-hour pointless cruise around town last week in my Tesla just to enjoy the exceptional magic carpet ride and rollercoaster feeling and enjoying the silence with the panorama roof open. I have never done that (doing pointless extra driving) in any of my previous cars, not even the Porsche.
A great anecdote. If I hadn't already test driven one, your story would have convinced me to do so.
Old 05-26-2016, 07:17 PM

s63
to me, it drove nothing but a glorified golf cart. I wouldn't spend a dime more than 40k on a Tesla P90D. Its way way way overpriced.

A great anecdote. If I hadn't already test driven one, your story would have convinced me to do so.
Old 05-26-2016, 09:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by fathom6
to me, it drove nothing but a glorified golf cart. I wouldn't spend a dime more than 40k on a Tesla P90D. Its way way way overpriced.
Overpriced to you doesn't mean overpriced to everyone...if it were overpriced to everyone, it wouldn't be selling in the pretty good volumes that it is.

For me, personally, I think it is a slightly better value than an S550. A 70D has essentially the same acceleration, but costs considerably less, when the tax credit, fuel costs, and maintenance costs are taken into account. OTOH, the Tesla has a much worse interior, and for me personally, a less enjoyable ride.
Old 05-26-2016, 11:25 PM

s63
On the second day, god said "beware the Activist, cause they scare him too".
You absolutely have no idea what an Activist would not do, do you?

if it were overpriced to everyone, it wouldn't be selling in the pretty good volumes that it is.
Old 05-27-2016, 05:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by fathom6
On the second day, god said "beware the Activist, cause they scare him too".
You absolutely have no idea what an Activist would not do, do you?
Sure, there are some Tesla buyers for whom environmentalism is a big factor in purchasing...but that certainly isn't everyone. Not me, for instance. And as I said, I personally don't find the car overpriced for what it is. For me, my S550 might be let's say $25k "better" than the 70D, but costs let's say $30k more (lifetime costs)...so the 70D to me is a better value (as a second car...I've said before that it wouldn't be my choice if I could only have 1 car). For me personally, environmentalism isn't a factor, partly because lithium ion batteries have some environmental negatives of their own.
Old 05-27-2016, 05:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model S P85+
To create threads about "to not by" any particular vehicle is a true testament to how well that vehicle is doing. We thank you!

Hyper and Web have been very professional and the ones insulting others have been extremely childish and can't get myself to believe that you truly own a Mercedes S class due to your behavior. To call someone a fanboy because he's excited about new technology is a serious stretch of the imagination. Are you not a fanboy when you keep attacking someone in such a derogatory way?

There were mentions on here as to how cheap the Model S build is. How can it possibly be cheap when it's the safest car in the world to drive? how can it be cheap when it can handle 17,000 lbs on the roof before actually crushing? how is it the car gets rear ended by an 18 wheeler and still be driven home when the 18 wheeler broke down? common sense tells you it's an amazing build!

there were also some things said about interior. You are very correct, the car does not have home like furniture inside. why? simply put, the car is very expensive to build because of the technology behind it and there has to be cut backs somewhere, if not the car would probably hit $180k loaded. That practice would put it into a bad category and Elon was smart enough to know that. Because of his intelligence on marketing, he has been very successful in taking away owners from the same category. Please do some research on Tesla sales and you will notice that the Model S outsells the Mercedes S series 1 on 1 and outsells the BMW 7/audi8/7a and Panamera combined! My wife feels the comfort of the interior is of my e46 m3 and ml350 (combined) which were sold. SHE LOVES IT AND SO DO I!

There was also a mention on profit. The model S sells with a minimum profit of 25% and that is a fact. The company does not lose money on sales and the only reason there is loss is because of the build out of the network.

There was a mention on fuel during a major storm and dead Tesla vehicles lined up on streets. Gas stations close during major storm, especially ones that make electricity stop flowing. How would you get gas without electricity? Use common sense.

almost 400,000 pre-orders without 1 advertisement tells you Tesla builds amazing vehicles, if not, then you're an not too smart.

Last edited by RGadowski; 05-27-2016 at 06:51 AM.
Old 05-27-2016, 09:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 313 Likes on 214 Posts
‘19 AMG S63
Originally Posted by RGadowski
To create threads about "to not by" any particular vehicle is a true testament to how well that vehicle is doing. We thank you!

Hyper and Web have been very professional and the ones insulting others have been extremely childish and can't get myself to believe that you truly own a Mercedes S class due to your behavior. To call someone a fanboy because he's excited about new technology is a serious stretch of the imagination. Are you not a fanboy when you keep attacking someone in such a derogatory way?

There were mentions on here as to how cheap the Model S build is. How can it possibly be cheap when it's the safest car in the world to drive? how can it be cheap when it can handle 17,000 lbs on the roof before actually crushing? how is it the car gets rear ended by an 18 wheeler and still be driven home when the 18 wheeler broke down? common sense tells you it's an amazing build!

there were also some things said about interior. You are very correct, the car does not have home like furniture inside. why? simply put, the car is very expensive to build because of the technology behind it and there has to be cut backs somewhere, if not the car would probably hit $180k loaded. That practice would put it into a bad category and Elon was smart enough to know that. Because of his intelligence on marketing, he has been very successful in taking away owners from the same category. Please do some research on Tesla sales and you will notice that the Model S outsells the Mercedes S series 1 on 1 and outsells the BMW 7/audi8/7a and Panamera combined! My wife feels the comfort of the interior is of my e46 m3 and ml350 (combined) which were sold. SHE LOVES IT AND SO DO I!

There was also a mention on profit. The model S sells with a minimum profit of 25% and that is a fact. The company does not lose money on sales and the only reason there is loss is because of the build out of the network.

There was a mention on fuel during a major storm and dead Tesla vehicles lined up on streets. Gas stations close during major storm, especially ones that make electricity stop flowing. How would you get gas without electricity? Use common sense.

almost 400,000 pre-orders without 1 advertisement tells you Tesla builds amazing vehicles, if not, then you're an not too smart.

Your welcome! It is funny why you question the beginning of this thread. I started this thread to counterbalance the nonsense of the Tesla folks that want to advertise on this site. In fact, it looks like you just joined this site and you are a Tesla owner. What is your real purpose in your post? You joined this discussion to discuss the pluses/minuses and distinctions of the two cars. Right? Why are you in a defense and attack mode when you just joined this site? Very Interesting

I really hope that Tesla does well even though I completely disagree that the Model S can replace the S Class. It cannot but rather can complement a person's fleet of cars. If one cannot afford both the Model S and a MB S Class then one must choose but that does not make one better or worse. Tesla owners need to thicken their skins and not be so defensive. Hands down, the S Class interior is superior. Hands down, the Model S in Ludicrous mode is faster than the S Class out of the gate. Ok. But the Tesla fan's need to get off their high horse and learn how to discuss differences instead of trying to sell people on how great their cars are. People on this site are intelligent enough to figure this out.

I am concerned with your post. How does Hyper enter your post? WEBSRFR began "advertising the Tesla Kool Aid". This is a site to discuss MBs and the W222. You appear to be overly sensitive to ANY possible negatives of Tesla and the Model S. I live in the US with the Freedom of Speech of the 1st Amendment of the US Constitution. I appreciate your opinion but the issue I have is that Web began the issue attempting to change peoples minds as to essentially switching from the S Class to the Model S. They are not comparable but complement one another. One cannot properly compare the experience of a "fast of the line" electric car to a gas car.

Do you know how to read financial statements? Are you talking about gross margin of 25%? The last piece of information from Tesla was that they lose just over $19,000 per car. I can teach you IFRS (International Financial Reporting Standards) or US GAAP (Generally Accepted Accounting Principles) if you would like since my career revolves around the deep understanding of reading this type of financial information.

And how does 400,000 orders of the Model 3 translate into Tesla building Amazing cars? I am a CPA (Certified Public Accountant) with a law degree. As dumb as us CPAs and people with legal degrees are we simply cannot tell that 400,000 orders translates into building amazing cars. I am amazed at the nonsense of Tesla owners that respond like RGadowski--SIMPLY AMAZING.
Old 05-27-2016, 10:11 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,323 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Originally Posted by RGadowski

Welcome to the forum, even if it was to just dispute things commented on in this thread ... Hope it wasn't too much of a hassle to register. Do you have an app that scours the net looking for negative things posted about tesla?

Making comments about someone's intelligence or common sense... It's laughable, you've got some insecurity issues perhaps ... Why not just state your facts and not register just to knock these forums members, no one dragged you out of bed and propped your eyes open just to force you to read this "dribble" and comment in this thread. Or did they?

I'm sure you've got great input, please offer it without insulting people.. Whats the value in that? Welcome again.

Last edited by PeterUbers; 05-27-2016 at 10:17 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by PeterUbers:
El Cid (05-27-2016), MDMercedesGuy (07-11-2016)
Old 05-27-2016, 03:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
M6 Gran Coupe
There is no real comparison between the Tesla and S-Class. Teslas remind me a lot of the new Vette....definitely a nice car...but dime a dozen.

The S-Class is a classy car.....when I think of the Tesla, I jut think of electric car.....not necessarily luxury. If people think Tesla has the name recognition of the S-Class, then they aren't real in tune with trends. The S-Class has always been the gold standard for executive cars.
Old 05-27-2016, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator

Sure, there are some Tesla buyers for whom environmentalism is a big factor in purchasing...but that certainly isn't everyone. Not me, for instance. And as I said, I personally don't find the car overpriced for what it is. For me, my S550 might be let's say $25k "better" than the 70D, but costs let's say $30k more (lifetime costs)...so the 70D to me is a better value (as a second car...I've said before that it wouldn't be my choice if I could only have 1 car). For me personally, environmentalism isn't a factor, partly because lithium ion batteries have some environmental negatives of their own.
I know this has been said many times but I just can't follow your reasoning for your comparison.
A Tesla 70D can't be compared to anything else but an E-Class, 5 series or Audi 6. There is no one single aspect of the Tesla that would allow for comparison with the S-Class.
If you state 0-60, then might as well compare it to a Mustang Eco boost (or insert any car with similar 0-60 specs).
Old 05-27-2016, 04:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Wolfman
I know this has been said many times but I just can't follow your reasoning for your comparison.
A Tesla 70D can't be compared to anything else but an E-Class, 5 series or Audi 6. There is no one single aspect of the Tesla that would allow for comparison with the S-Class.
If you state 0-60, then might as well compare it to a Mustang Eco boost (or insert any car with similar 0-60 specs).
Imo the Model S should not be compared solely to the S/7/A8. But it also shouldn't be compared to solely the E/5/A6. In fact, the Model S price range overlaps BOTH the E/5/A6 and S/7/A8. And size-wise, it is in between the E an S...closer to the S, in fact. Per fueleconomy.gov, total passenger + cargo volume is 120 cu ft for the Model S, 111 cu ft for the E, and 124 cu ft for the S.

For me personally, the 70D and S550 are direct competitors in the following sense: if someone told me I could buy only one ICE vehicle, it would be the S550. And if someone told me I could buy only one EV, it would be the 70D...because I'm more of a luxury guy, and don't need acceleration beyond the 70D level (or S550 level, which is the same) .
Old 05-27-2016, 05:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Consumer Reports has a story on their electronic version, As Tesla Sales Grow, Can Supercharges Keep Up? Apparently there are problems with long wait times, people using superchargers instead of their home chargers, too few for cars on road now, let alone the future. Seems some people will use one at a restaurant or somewhere and just leave it sitting at the charger until they finish their leisurely meal. Supercharger attendants are not allowed to move cars. It also may take up to one hour (or more) for some cars making the line grow longer.
Incidentally, Teslas have been in full production for at least five years. The build out period for an auto manufacturer is done. No profits in last five quarters.
As for getting gas during storms. There will be problems after the storms hit, but most people will prepare by tanking up or stopping along the evacuation route. Tesla owners with forethought may have fully charged their cars, but the very long evacution routes which can be painfully slow will eat that up. Where will they recharge with no superchargers available? The gas staions will still be receiving electricity as storms have not hit yet. Even after they hit, electricity will be returned to gas stations fairly quickly due to their locations.

Last edited by El Cid; 05-27-2016 at 05:32 PM.
Old 05-27-2016, 05:40 PM
Super Moderator

Imo the Model S should not be compared solely to the S/7/A8. But it also shouldn't be compared to solely the E/5/A6. In fact, the Model S price range overlaps BOTH the E/5/A6 and S/7/A8. And size-wise, it is in between the E an S...closer to the S, in fact. Per fueleconomy.gov, total passenger + cargo volume is 120 cu ft for the Model S, 111 cu ft for the E, and 124 cu ft for the S.

For me personally, the 70D and S550 are direct competitors in the following sense: if someone told me I could buy only one ICE vehicle, it would be the S550. And if someone told me I could buy only one EV, it would be the 70D...because I'm more of a luxury guy, and don't need acceleration beyond the 70D level (or S550 level, which is the same) .
Dimensionally, the model S is closer to the E than the S. Few people would consider cargo volume when selecting cars.
If you would select the S-class for ICE and the model S for EV does not make them comparable as cars. It just makes them your choice.
Old 05-27-2016, 05:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Both categorized as large, expensive, luxury cars

Originally Posted by Wolfman
I think it comes down to the fact that the Model S and S Class are both classed in the same category - large, expensive, luxury. E/A/5 are in the mid-size luxury class.
While there may not be any "single aspect of the Tesla that would allow for comparison to the S-Class," the overall cars are comparable.
Incidentally, many people consider cargo volume when considering cars, depending upon the type car they are selecting. A two seat sports car, not so much, but a sedan, probably yes. Actually when I purchased two seat sports cars, cargo volume was very critical to me and quickly ruled some out. There had to be at least a certain amount.

Last edited by El Cid; 05-27-2016 at 05:51 PM.
Old 05-27-2016, 05:54 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
12C P85DL
I've not been around here for years; actually, ever since I quit building tuner tools for MB. It is fun to come back and see the Tesla love........

I was a long time (over 20 years) BMW guy, mostly Ms. I got my first Model S in early 2013 and have never looked back. And yep, there are now a little over 10 KWdc of solar panels on my house.

I spent my life burning gas. I've never hugged a tree. I made the move because the electric stuff simply works better for what I do with daily drivers. BeVs do not do sustained high speeds so I still have the McLaren.

No one, or at least not me, is saying you should give up you E or S. By the same token, if you have not gone and played with a P90D, go beat on one for a test drive. They are an absolute hoot.

Sure, it took me a bit of time to get used to the spartan interior coming from German cars. I've really come to appreciate the open-ness of the Model S. I'm a big guy and found that I prefer having a bit of space around me so I'm now a fan.

What has become obvious to me is that electric works and works better than ICE. The writing is on the wall. It is only a matter of time before MB, BMW, VAG and the like are putting pure electric drive trains together with that nice coachwork you have come to love. We holier than thou type will get you gals and guys; it is just a matter of time
The following users liked this post:
TheTeslaDude (05-28-2016)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 2.50 average.

Quick Reply: Why One Should Not Buy A Tesla Model S