Rear Camera inoperable

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 06:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 473 Likes on 327 Posts
2019 S560, 2022 Audi S8
Rear Camera inoperable

The only glitch I've noticed on my 2017 S63 so far is that one out of 10 times I place the transmission into reverse, a fault message pops up on the screen saying that the camera is not functional at this time. (or some wording of that type). Anyone else having this issue? Very embarrassing and annoying when you are out with friends , go out to dinner, and this pops up, not to mention I can't use the feature.
Old 06-13-2017, 05:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 293 Likes on 245 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Perhaps a mechanical issue with the camera. You could try to switch between R and N/D while someone checks if the camera turns open when the error message appears (if you can make the error occur).

The dealer should see fault codes and fix it for you.
Old 06-13-2017, 11:00 AM

Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts
2015 MBZ S 550
Originally Posted by MBS63AMG
The only glitch I've noticed on my 2017 S63 so far is that one out of 10 times I place the transmission into reverse, a fault message pops up on the screen saying that the camera is not functional at this time. (or some wording of that type). Anyone else having this issue? Very embarrassing and annoying when you are out with friends , go out to dinner, and this pops up, not to mention I can't use the feature.
Just curious why you would find this embarrassing? It's an automobile, a mechanical, inanimate object. Is your self esteem tied into the automobile in some way?

Embarrassing is when you spill food on yourself in front of a date or your boss. It's saying something inappropriate when you know you shouldn't have. Not having a car that has a glitch that is probably easily fixed.

Annoying yes. It's a brand new car and you would hope everything would work as expected. But, it's a very complicated machine with lots of moving and computer controlled parts, things will go wrong.

Hopefully the glitch goes away on its own or you take it to a service center and have it sorted out.

Good luck!!!
Old 06-13-2017, 08:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 S560, 2022 Audi S8
Originally Posted by Socalsteve
Just curious why you would find this embarrassing? It's an automobile, a mechanical, inanimate object. Is your self esteem tied into the automobile in some way?

Embarrassing is when you spill food on yourself in front of a date or your boss. It's saying something inappropriate when you know you shouldn't have. Not having a car that has a glitch that is probably easily fixed.

Annoying yes. It's a brand new car and you would hope everything would work as expected. But, it's a very complicated machine with lots of moving and computer controlled parts, things will go wrong.

Hopefully the glitch goes away on its own or you take it to a service center and have it sorted out.

Good luck!!!

When they drive $30,000 Kias and Hondas that don't ever have that problem, while expecting a $170,000 car to not have a problem with 15 year old technology, it is tough to explain.
Heck, my Honda Hybrid systems work without any problems.

Anyway, Dieselbenz thanks for the advice, I will look to see if the camera cover is popped out or not the next time it happens.
Old 06-13-2017, 08:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 S560, 2022 Audi S8
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
Perhaps a mechanical issue with the camera. You could try to switch between R and N/D while someone checks if the camera turns open when the error message appears (if you can make the error occur).

The dealer should see fault codes and fix it for you.

Thanks for the constructive and helpful reply. I will check this out next time.
Old 06-13-2017, 09:07 PM

2015 MBZ S 550
When they drive $30,000 Kias and Hondas that don't ever have that problem, while expecting a $170,000 car to not have a problem with 15 year old technology, it is tough to explain.
Heck, my Honda Hybrid systems work without any problems.

Anyway, Dieselbenz thanks for the advice, I will look to see if the camera cover is popped out or not the next time it happens.
Then there is only one solution so you won't be embarrassed around your friends any more...

Sell your $170,000.00 outdated piece of crap and stick to your Honda Hybrid. Problem solved!!!
Old 06-13-2017, 10:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 S560, 2022 Audi S8
Then there is only one solution so you won't be embarrassed around your friends any more...

Sell your $170,000.00 outdated piece of crap and stick to your Honda Hybrid. Problem solved!!!
Thanks for sharing with us what a P.O.S. you are, you revolting and repugnant A.hole.

Last edited by MBS63AMG; 06-13-2017 at 10:29 PM.
Old 06-13-2017, 10:37 PM

2015 MBZ S 550
Thanks for sharing with us what a P.O.S. you are, you revolting and repugnant A.hole.
Perspective, my good man, perspective. My postings were to show you that there are more important things in life than you getting embarrassed by your car having an electrical glitch.

I'm sorry you didn't see that.

These cars, like all things mechanical and electrical, are not perfect or infallible. The fact is, it's a highly sophisticated automobile that has many systems. Things will go wrong, count on it. If you want something that is less sophisticated ( and the chance of it having less problems ) buy a simpler car.

That's all I meant by it.

Be well, take good care of yourself and try to enjoy your car, I'm sure it's a real beauty!!!

Last edited by Socalsteve; 06-13-2017 at 10:55 PM.
Old 06-13-2017, 11:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
15 s550, 85 iroc z28, 87 Buick Grand National
Perspective, my good man, perspective. My postings were to show you that there are more important things in life than you getting embarrassed by your car having an electrical glitch.

I'm sorry you didn't see that.

These cars, like all things mechanical and electrical, are not perfect or infallible. The fact is, it's a highly sophisticated automobile that has many systems. Things will go wrong, count on it. If you want something that is less sophisticated ( and the chance of it having less problems ) buy a simpler car.

That's all I meant by it.

Be well, take good care of yourself and try to enjoy your car, I'm sure it's a real beauty!!!
how is it not embarrassing that your luxury vehicle doesn't have basic electronic functions that work properly.

dropping food on myself is what's not embarrassing. they make napkins and stain removers for a reason. quality and luxury should perform that way, not just carry the price tag
Old 06-13-2017, 11:26 PM

2015 MBZ S 550
Originally Posted by Kevwalt22
how is it not embarrassing that your luxury vehicle doesn't have basic electronic functions that work properly.

dropping food on myself is what's not embarrassing. they make napkins and stain removers for a reason. quality and luxury should perform that way, not just carry the price tag
It would ONLY be embarrassing if you built the car yourself and forgot to plug in the camera...

And, having a backup camera is NOT a "basic electronic function". My point again...if you want a car to be perfect in every way, then buy a very simple vehicle that doesn't have much sophistication.

As for quality and luxury and carrying a large price tag...look at Rolex. Very expensive and doesn't tell time very well. See my point??? It's not only/just about the item performing flawlessly all the time, there is more to it.
Old 06-14-2017, 11:35 AM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
2009 MB C300 Sport & 2017 Lexus GS350 F-Sport
I agree with the others...it would be embarrassing if a Mercedes costing $170K has this malfunction on a regular basis of this simple feature. Makes you question what else is going to go wrong down the road.
Old 06-14-2017, 12:36 PM

2015 MBZ S 550
Originally Posted by dchar
I agree with the others...it would be embarrassing if a Mercedes costing $170K has this malfunction on a regular basis of this simple feature. Makes you question what else is going to go wrong down the road.
Why is this embarrassing? You purchased a luxury brand in good faith. It's not your fault that the car has an electrical glitch?

May I suggest these emotions instead:

Happiness that you can afford such an amazing vehicle.

Pride in that ( again ) you have the funds to spend on a vehicle brand that has a stellar reputation of being a well made automobile.

Confidence in your decision that of all the vehicles you could have purchased, you chose a car that is at the top of its marque.

Perspective that you are fortunate enough to own such an amazing vehicle.

And lastly, just being humble. Knowing that there are less fortunate people out there that wish they had this problem.

Take a step back, look at the world around you. You could have it a lot worse.

Enjoy your vehicles! No reason for embarrassment. None at all...

Oh, as for what else is going to go wrong. Probably a few things. Again, it's a very sophisticated piece of machinery. Problems occur and mechanical things wear out. It's a fact of life. Isn't that why there are warranties and insurance?
Old 06-14-2017, 01:21 PM

Why is this embarrassing? You purchased a luxury brand in good faith. It's not your fault that the car has an electrical glitch?

Pride in that ( again ) you have the funds to spend on a vehicle brand that has a stellar reputation of being a well made automobile.

Confidence in your decision that of all the vehicles you could have purchased, you chose a car that is at the top of its marque.
building your own car vs a billion dollar corporation engineering and manufacturing a car.. and u think it's ok for the corporation to put out a product that doesn't work. and that's TOP OF IT'S MARQUE, or a stellar reputation of being well made type car too you? wow. you don't understand quality or luxury at all.

I've built many lowriders, and many engines and many fbody cars, no build has ever lost respect or been embarrassed because their home built project is not 100% perfect. thats why forums exist. mercedes Benz as a brand should be embarrassed that non-wear parts don't function properly under 150k or 10 years of the vehicle.. that is not much to ask out of a 150k vehicle.

it's 2017, backup cameras are basic electronic functions now, we don't use carbuerators anymore, we use fuel injection. is fuel injection not a basic electronic function for cars now? it's been 30 years.
Old 06-14-2017, 03:17 PM

2015 MBZ S 550
building your own car vs a billion dollar corporation engineering and manufacturing a car.. and u think it's ok for the corporation to put out a product that doesn't work. and that's TOP OF IT'S MARQUE, or a stellar reputation of being well made type car too you? wow. you don't understand quality or luxury at all.

I've built many lowriders, and many engines and many fbody cars, no build has ever lost respect or been embarrassed because their home built project is not 100% perfect. thats why forums exist. mercedes Benz as a brand should be embarrassed that non-wear parts don't function properly under 150k or 10 years of the vehicle.. that is not much to ask out of a 150k vehicle.

it's 2017, backup cameras are basic electronic functions now, we don't use carbuerators anymore, we use fuel injection. is fuel injection not a basic electronic function for cars now? it's been 30 years.
Very true, MBZ should be embarrassed, not the person who bought the $170,000.00 car. You completely missed my point. Completely.

The original poster stated HE was embarrassed because the rear camera didn't work 100% of the time. All I've said all along is that, there is no reason why the purchaser of said vehicle has any reason to be embarrassed. This is what I could not understand.

That is the only point I've tried to get across. Oh, and also that something as sophisticated, both mechanically and electronically, as an S Class MBZ will have glitches. It just will. We live in an imperfect world, screws fall out. Deal with it and move on to more important aspects in your life.

And lastly, enjoy what you have. No need to let something so nice get you down.
Old 06-14-2017, 07:16 PM

Very true, MBZ should be embarrassed, not the person who bought the $170,000.00 car. You completely missed my point. Completely.

The original poster stated HE was embarrassed because the rear camera didn't work 100% of the time. All I've said all along is that, there is no reason why the purchaser of said vehicle has any reason to be embarrassed. This is what I could not understand.

That is the only point I've tried to get across. Oh, and also that something as sophisticated, both mechanically and electronically, as an S Class MBZ will have glitches. It just will. We live in an imperfect world, screws fall out. Deal with it and move on to more important aspects in your life.

hmm somehow your logic makes no sense. 1000$ auction vehicles might have "screws that fall out", not 150,000$ luxury "top" of its class vehicles. we drive mercedes to drive the best, not drive a problem. when your spend large amounts of money on a brand, you take pride in the purchase, it's a reflection of you.

seems like ur just too rich for the rest of us, when u don't expect 170k cars to perform right...

what does he need to spend for something to work how it should? 500k? nah 800k? million?
Old 06-14-2017, 08:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 S560, 2022 Audi S8

Perspective that you are fortunate enough to own such an amazing vehicle.

And lastly, just being humble. Knowing that there are less fortunate people out there that wish they had this problem.

Take a step back, look at the world around you. You could have it a lot worse.

Enjoy your vehicles! No reason for embarrassment. None at all...

Oh, as for what else is going to go wrong. Probably a few things. Again, it's a very sophisticated piece of machinery. Problems occur and mechanical things wear out. It's a fact of life. Isn't that why there are warranties and insurance?
I'm sorry I ever brought up the word embarrassment in my original posting. Much of what you are saying in the above post you made is true. I am grateful for my MB but you've taken a shot at me very rudely over one word that you are simply hung up on. Trying to tie my self esteem into this, ridiculing the fact that I have a Honda Hybrid which I use as my daily driver because I put on over 60,000 miles a year on a car and I DON'T WANT TO PUT THEM ON MY NICE MERCEDES., then telling me to sell my $170,000 piece of crap and hug my Honda Hybrid......then you said "problem solved". All I see here is you have a problem with the word embarrassment.
Now can we carry on peacefully about my original problem????
I'm taking it tomorrow to see what the dealer will do to fix it. My wife noticed the problem again today and reminded me to have it looked at.
Old 06-14-2017, 08:09 PM

2015 MBZ S 550
hmm somehow your logic makes no sense. 1000$ auction vehicles might have "screws that fall out", not 150,000$ luxury "top" of its class vehicles. we drive mercedes to drive the best, not drive a problem. when your spend large amounts of money on a brand, you take pride in the purchase, it's a reflection of you.

seems like ur just too rich for the rest of us, when u don't expect 170k cars to perform right...

what does he need to spend for something to work how it should? 500k? nah 800k? million?
Again, you have missed my point. It's about expectations, not how much something costs.

Richard Carlson said it best in his best selling self help book ( Don't Sweat the Small Stuff and its all Small Stuff )...I've never met a perfectionist who was happy.

Oh, and the line: It's an imperfect world, screws fall out comes from the John Hughes movie Breakfast Club.

Enjoy life, enjoy your car...don't fret that your friends will think less of you if your $170k car has an electrical glitch. They won't. If they do, they are probably not the kind of friends you want in the first place.

PS: I'm not rich when it comes to monetary things ( even though some people would think I am ) but hopefully rich in the knowledge that things do break and it's no biggie. They will get fixed. Enjoy your day. That's what's important.
Old 06-14-2017, 08:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 S560, 2022 Audi S8

I agree. I've now had over 7 Mercedes in 20 years. This should tell you I respect and love the brand, but my 2007 S600 never had this problem, nor did a few other brand new Benzes I've bought. I"ve even been to Stuggart to watch one of my cars get built.
Old 06-14-2017, 08:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 S560, 2022 Audi S8

Again, good points. On a fun note, sometimes these little glitches bring life and soul to the cars we own. It shows us , like humans are, that they are not perfect and need some attention every now and then.
Cars like Hondas and Toyotas are so perfect in build that they almost get boring. They are driven to death, we trade them off , no funeral service seems to come to mind. But when I sell a MB , I feel like I've lost a friend. That's one reason I never have bought a Lexus. Fine cars but they seem to lack a personal touch of need.
Old 06-14-2017, 08:32 PM

2015 MBZ S 550
Again, good points. On a fun note, sometimes these little glitches bring life and soul to the cars we own. It shows us , like humans are, that they are not perfect and need some attention every now and then.
Cars like Hondas and Toyotas are so perfect in build that they almost get boring. They are driven to death, we trade them off , no funeral service seems to come to mind. But when I sell a MB , I feel like I've lost a friend. That's one reason I never have bought a Lexus. Fine cars but they seem to lack a personal touch of need.
Very, very true!

I've owned many cars in my 59 years of life. American, Japanese and German. The only cars I have truly missed after selling were my three 911's. All 3 were not perfect, they all were in the shop for one thing or another, but all 3 had soul.

They were perfect in their imperfection. That's really all you can ask for in an inanimate object, right?

Thank you for putting it in a succinct way....
Old 06-14-2017, 08:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 S560, 2022 Audi S8
Very, very true!

I've owned many cars in my 59 years of life. American, Japanese and German. The only cars I have truly missed after selling were my three 911's. All 3 were not perfect, they all were in the shop for one thing or another, but all 3 had soul.

They were perfect in their imperfection. That's really all you can ask for in an inanimate object, right?

Thank you for putting it in a succinct way....
Seems like German cars have that trait. I'm 54 y.o. and I too have had over 50 cars (and 8 motorcycles). I'm now wanting to pamper this M.B. a bit more so that I can keep it longer.....that's why I want to use the Honda for good mileage and high mile count. I won't care as much about driving it in the rain, rough roads, etc., but when I am home I can jump in my AMG and have a good time.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:22 PM

I recently picked up a 15 s550.. I have had to park it in the sun a couple times and noticed the touchpad won't work and today the 360 camera didn't work. after I drove it for I minute and cooled down the cabin temp everything works right. grabbing a window shade today to see if that helps
Old 06-19-2017, 11:11 PM

2015 MBZ S 550
I recently picked up a 15 s550.. I have had to park it in the sun a couple times and noticed the touchpad won't work and today the 360 camera didn't work. after I drove it for I minute and cooled down the cabin temp everything works right. grabbing a window shade today to see if that helps
Mine too! Same issue. Weird. Seems like a mechanical problem, not software related. Not the end of the world, but will have it addressed when I take it in for servicing.
Old 06-20-2017, 03:35 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
MY15 had a software issue on their trackpad, with intermittent issues. It's still worth checking if yours was updated. It's a free fix either way...
Old 06-20-2017, 08:18 PM

2015 MBZ S 550
Originally Posted by Wolfman
MY15 had a software issue on their trackpad, with intermittent issues. It's still worth checking if yours was updated. It's a free fix either way...
Mine is going in on Monday for this and a few other small issues. Is the nav software update still free for the first 3 years? My car is a 2015 that was produced at the end of 2014. Nav sw has never been updated. Weird that the first owner never had this done. It was serviced a couple times and then went through the CPO process...kind of surprised that it didn't get updated then.

Hopefully the Bluetooth cutting in and out issue will get fixed as well. I have a feeling the car is pretty far behind on its software updates as the on board owners manual doesn't have videos either.

Hope there is one big patch or many small ones to address all these issues.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Rear Camera inoperable