Looking for advice/feedback on the S class

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 06:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 Range Rover Autobiography
Looking for advice/feedback on the S class

Hello All,

I have been lurking around these forums trying to gather information on the S class as i have been thinking about switching it up (currently in a 2013 Range Rover Autobiography). I have never owned any sort of benz in the past so am clueless as what to look out for. I am curious to know if there is anyone on this forum who has driven a range rover/7 series/s class and what their opinion was about the S class vs the others? I was quite amazed at the technology the S class has to offer which the range rover just cannot seem to catch up to. One of the main feature that attracted me was the magic body control since i drive alot and also am prone to motion sickness. Unfortunately here in canada, i have been told that it can only be fitted with S65 AMG. I have been also told by a friend who has owned multiple S-Classes that it is pointless to get S-Class without 4matic based on our weather here (not sure if this was due to tires or the car?) I also understand that the 7 series offers something similar to MBC with x-drive. Basically what i am trying to find out is whether the airmatic suspension out performs the range rover or 7 series suspension in terms of dealing with harsher roads/potholes/etc. Which one is the best drive in terms of comfort?
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
Old 08-22-2017, 11:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
GLE300D, GL 350BT
Originally Posted by f2jilani
Hello All,

I have been lurking around these forums trying to gather information on the S class as i have been thinking about switching it up (currently in a 2013 Range Rover Autobiography). I have never owned any sort of benz in the past so am clueless as what to look out for. I am curious to know if there is anyone on this forum who has driven a range rover/7 series/s class and what their opinion was about the S class vs the others? I was quite amazed at the technology the S class has to offer which the range rover just cannot seem to catch up to. One of the main feature that attracted me was the magic body control since i drive alot and also am prone to motion sickness. Unfortunately here in canada, i have been told that it can only be fitted with S65 AMG. I have been also told by a friend who has owned multiple S-Classes that it is pointless to get S-Class without 4matic based on our weather here (not sure if this was due to tires or the car?) I also understand that the 7 series offers something similar to MBC with x-drive. Basically what i am trying to find out is whether the airmatic suspension out performs the range rover or 7 series suspension in terms of dealing with harsher roads/potholes/etc. Which one is the best drive in terms of comfort?
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
The S class is indeed ahead of the Range Rover/Sport for infotainment which is really pretty sad. The S is behind the 7 series and the Audi line in terms of infotainment. I was really close to buying a 16 long wheel base Range Rover until I sat in my current S class. The comfort was what really decided it for me.

I live in Montana and wouldn't bother buying a Mercedes without 4Matic. It really is an amazing system and a huge safety feature for those of us who live in the great white north. Add some Nokian snow tires and you have an extremely capable winter platform. It doesn't have the offroad capability of a Range Rover(obviously) but the 4Matic system allows you to raise the car for more ground clearance on those days when the plows havn't cleared the streets yet. I am not sure that magic body control will resolve your motion sickness problems. The only thing I can tell you is that the airmatic system on the S class is truly second to none. The car rides better than any SUV out there. We have a 7 series(2016) BMW in the family and there really isn't any comparison, plus the seats in the S class are WAY ahead of what BMW has in terms of comfort.

My advice would be to drive all of the vehicles you are looking at and make a decision based on what you like best.
Old 08-23-2017, 04:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 Range Rover Autobiography
Originally Posted by alphainfinity
The S class is indeed ahead of the Range Rover/Sport for infotainment which is really pretty sad. The S is behind the 7 series and the Audi line in terms of infotainment. I was really close to buying a 16 long wheel base Range Rover until I sat in my current S class. The comfort was what really decided it for me.

I live in Montana and wouldn't bother buying a Mercedes without 4Matic. It really is an amazing system and a huge safety feature for those of us who live in the great white north. Add some Nokian snow tires and you have an extremely capable winter platform. It doesn't have the offroad capability of a Range Rover(obviously) but the 4Matic system allows you to raise the car for more ground clearance on those days when the plows havn't cleared the streets yet. I am not sure that magic body control will resolve your motion sickness problems. The only thing I can tell you is that the airmatic system on the S class is truly second to none. The car rides better than any SUV out there. We have a 7 series(2016) BMW in the family and there really isn't any comparison, plus the seats in the S class are WAY ahead of what BMW has in terms of comfort.

My advice would be to drive all of the vehicles you are looking at and make a decision based on what you like best.
Thankyou for your input which is very helpful with my decision. Could you please let me know which specific nokian winter tires you are using and their profiles? It seems like if Range rover does not come out with anything decent this frankfurt auto show, i will be jumping ships.