S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

QUESTIONS....MODS!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 09:50 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Audi a7
QUESTIONS....MODS!!!!

As I said in my “pulled the trigger” thread, I am closing out on a 15 S class. Now, with that said..I am probably one of the younger S Class “pending” owner, so of course I am going to be interest in some modest mods....nothing too crazy. I wanted to get some feed back from those on this forum and help in companies and options to go with!! I will head each potential mod and the companies I’ve seen! Please chime in!!

1. LOWERING!!! - the two things I am looking to gain from lowering is obviously to cut down on that god forbidden wheel gap. Also, I would like a tighter steering feel and less body roll. NO I am not expecting he car to drive like a C63.
* I have looked at renntech and LoMo. Which is superior? Advantages disadvantages?

2. RIMS!
* this is a car that is massive, let’s face it. The 19 inch AMG wheels look tiny on the far. Anyone with 20’s or 21’s? I feel 22’s start to border on obnoxious and takes the class away from the car.

3. EXHAUST! don’t say “well you should’ve just gotten an S63”. Trust me the price difference between modest mods vs a full blown S63amg is a big difference not even considering the difference in maintenance cost...
* I have listened to and looked at the Renntech sport muffler, the GtHaus meisterschaft exhaust and the MEC exhaust.. anyone have 1 of the three on their vehicle, know someone who does, or have feedback on these exhaust systems? As an alternative, Is a resonator delete/downpipe/straightpipe mod “ghetto”? Lol

other than these above above items everything else I’m experienced in. So I will have the car tinted, window trim tinted and rear tails lightly tinted.

Any feedback, suggestions or additional Mod Ideas are welcome!!!
Old 01-18-2018, 12:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 653 Likes on 511 Posts
2018 S560 and 2019 E450 Wagon.
Dunno if you're gonna get much response on this forum but my suggestion would be if you live in a area where there are bumpy roads to not do the lowering or the bigger wheels mod. The car is gonna ride pretty bad with these mods unless you live in a place like Florida or CA where the roads are fairly smooth. As far as the mufflers, ya I'd think the car would sound pretty good with a pair or flow masters or something like that.
Old 01-18-2018, 07:08 AM

Received 71 Likes on 54 Posts
Corvette C8 997S, Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Reserve BMW 750 S560 Coupe
Okay let me give you the benefit of 45+ years of redesigning (I have well over 100 patents for auto related designs and products), and doing modifications to cars. This is a S class (it is big heavy and not really set up to be sporty), so lowering the car without doing major suspension work is not going to tighten the steering feel. Then putting what will likely be much heavier wheels and tires on will make the car feel worse, the idea is to get lighter on the corners not heavier with greater mass. Exhaust well that is a personal thing, I have many loud cars the fact that the 550 is not is a good thing in my mind. I would be mindful of drone especially in the back seats. One more bit of advise do not do anything that cannot easily be converted back to stock, that is unless you plan to be buried in the car. These cars do not take well to mods since most buyers want them unmolested. good luck.
Old 01-18-2018, 07:47 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,353 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
Hello and welcome, as far as wheels......I bet you could do a 21 or 22 and it wouldn't look like a homey's car. I have 20's and they still look like an average size tire on this car. Exhaust? Not sure. Lowering>never been a fan regardless of the model car. Good luck to you.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 182 Likes on 152 Posts
s550 Diamond white amg pano
Lowering, get the ghost links 150 bux more or less drop the car 1" and be done. wheels def a 20" I just swapped on 20's onto mine. 21's would be ideal still trying to find a set id like. tint away... keep in mind you will notice the mirror tint that the car has factory when you tint it. exhaust.. not my thing on an s class. keep in mind the airbags dont take kindly to lowering....I had links on my last one 6 mos and the rear airbags went. Looked great and steering did tighten up.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 913 Likes on 601 Posts
2019 SL550/2023 EQS 580 SUV
To me the S Class Sedan has always represented the elegant flagship of the Mercedes line and visual modifications to it are not my cup of tea. I have a 2017 SL450 at the present time and am waiting to see the next generation of S Sedan to decide whether to add one to my garage. If I like the newer design I'll buy one. If I don't like the newer design I will opt for the last year of the current design.
Old 01-18-2018, 03:07 PM

Received 309 Likes on 200 Posts
S600
Originally Posted by carnut1
Okay let me give you the benefit of 45+ years of redesigning (I have well over 100 patents for auto related designs and products), and doing modifications to cars. This is a S class (it is big heavy and not really set up to be sporty), so lowering the car without doing major suspension work is not going to tighten the steering feel. Then putting what will likely be much heavier wheels and tires on will make the car feel worse, the idea is to get lighter on the corners not heavier with greater mass. Exhaust well that is a personal thing, I have many loud cars the fact that the 550 is not is a good thing in my mind. I would be mindful of drone especially in the back seats. One more bit of advise do not do anything that cannot easily be converted back to stock, that is unless you plan to be buried in the car. These cars do not take well to mods since most buyers want them unmolested. good luck.
Saved me a bunch of typing.
Old 01-18-2018, 07:39 PM

Audi a7
Originally Posted by 1bad540
Lowering, get the ghost links 150 bux more or less drop the car 1" and be done. wheels def a 20" I just swapped on 20's onto mine. 21's would be ideal still trying to find a set id like. tint away... keep in mind you will notice the mirror tint that the car has factory when you tint it. exhaust.. not my thing on an s class. keep in mind the airbags dont take kindly to lowering....I had links on my last one 6 mos and the rear airbags went. Looked great and steering did tighten up.

i did did see the ghost one on YouTube I’ll look more into it, thanks! Why does it trip up the airbags??
The following users liked this post:
hyperion667 (01-18-2018)
Old 01-18-2018, 07:41 PM

Audi a7
Originally Posted by hyperion667
Hello and welcome, as far as wheels......I bet you could do a 21 or 22 and it wouldn't look like a homey's car. I have 20's and they still look like an average size tire on this car. Exhaust? Not sure. Lowering>never been a fan regardless of the model car. Good luck to you.

thats is what I am thinking maybe at least 21 may still look fine. The car sits pretty high and has considerable wheel gap so I need to take care of that and I think the car will sit just fine!
Old 01-18-2018, 07:42 PM

Audi a7

great points! Duly noted and greatly appreciated, thanks!!
Old 01-18-2018, 09:32 PM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
Seems maybe 21's aren't that uncommon anymore too? A lot of SUV's coming this year, possibly a trend of larger wheels too......I think some of MB's newer SUV's have stock 21's as well.......be sure to share!
Old 01-19-2018, 01:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,421 Likes on 1,949 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Making “mods” to an S Class, IMO, screams out IDIOT! Where I live, every now and then, we see someone with way more money than brains—or good taste—driving around in a brand new S Class with the full Brabus or some other “tuners” full blown treatment. Custom everything, wheels that might fit on a 747, tires with the sidewall depth of rubber bands, vents, scoops, all sorts of ground effects and an interior that would make a Chicago pimp blush. Why? To be cool? Such a car depreciates like a thousand pound bomb dropped from high altitude even BEFORE it is driven off the “tuners” lot. I sometimes wonder if it is a matter of days, hours or minutes before someone points at the driver and falls down laughing at them. You want to be young and cool? Go buy an AMG GT. If you want an S Class, do yourself a favor and LEAVE IT ALONE! It’s a classy, elegant car. Pretty much anything you do to try and “improve” it, won’t.

Old 01-19-2018, 06:49 AM

Received 71 Likes on 54 Posts
Corvette C8 997S, Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Reserve BMW 750 S560 Coupe
I was not trying to burst your bubble, but I have been at this a very long time, not only with the 464 cars I have owned but over the years I have done many other peoples cars as favors. No one is ever going to mistake a S class for a sports car (there are AMG models, or a BMW 6M gran coupe would be another option and it is RWD so better setup for sporty driving), and that is not what is was designed to be. You can of course put big heavy wheels on it (not sure where you live and how the roads are), and loose sidewall protection, and the steering might feel heavier (it will not be tighter, nor more responsive that cannot not be done without additional work to the suspension and steering rack), though as big and heavy as these cars are I'm not sure how noticeable it would be since the intention of these cars is isolation not feeling every inch of the road like an Alfa 4C. I remember buying a M6 back in 07 and I spent about 6 months doing (spent about 25K) different modifications to it trying to make it handle better. In the end I gave up and sold it because I could not change its DNA, it was a big heavy GT car, and it would never be made into a sports car. You can put lipstick on a pig, but it is still a pig.
The following users liked this post:
Blackrain (08-31-2021)
Old 01-19-2018, 10:07 AM

Audi a7
I was not trying to burst your bubble, but I have been at this a very long time, not only with the 464 cars I have owned but over the years I have done many other peoples cars as favors. No one is ever going to mistake a S class for a sports car (there are AMG models, or a BMW 6M gran coupe would be another option and it is RWD so better setup for sporty driving), and that is not what is was designed to be. You can of course put big heavy wheels on it (not sure where you live and how the roads are), and loose sidewall protection, and the steering might feel heavier (it will not be tighter, nor more responsive that cannot not be done without additional work to the suspension and steering rack), though as big and heavy as these cars are I'm not sure how noticeable it would be since the intention of these cars is isolation not feeling every inch of the road like an Alfa 4C. I remember buying a M6 back in 07 and I spent about 6 months doing (spent about 25K) different modifications to it trying to make it handle better. In the end I gave up and sold it because I could not change its DNA, it was a big heavy GT car, and it would never be made into a sports car. You can put lipstick on a pig, but it is still a pig.
this is valuable info for sure no bubbles bursted!! I definitely posted to get opinions and experiences from both sides. Coming from VW and Audi my entire life this is new; A, jumping over to Mercedes, and B, jumping from an A7(sport luxury) to a full blown BIG luxury sedan. I definitely know there’s no point in wasting money and time trying to turn this car into a full blown sports car. Kind of the reason I got out of the A7 for this...I will have the S as a daily and I’ll be looking at an older model sports car to have fun and wake the neighbors up with the exhaust!! I was more so looking for some minor mods to A. Reduce wheel gap, which to me doesn’t matter if it’s a bmw M3 or a big *** S class, wheel gap is UGLYYYY!! Lol
Old 01-19-2018, 10:12 AM

Audi a7
Originally Posted by Streamliner
Making “mods” to an S Class, IMO, screams out IDIOT! Where I live, every now and then, we see someone with way more money than brains—or good taste—driving around in a brand new S Class with the full Brabus or some other “tuners” full blown treatment. Custom everything, wheels that might fit on a 747, tires with the sidewall depth of rubber bands, vents, scoops, all sorts of ground effects and an interior that would make a Chicago pimp blush. Why? To be cool? Such a car depreciates like a thousand pound bomb dropped from high altitude even BEFORE it is driven off the “tuners” lot. I sometimes wonder if it is a matter of days, hours or minutes before someone points at the driver and falls down laughing at them. You want to be young and cool? Go buy an AMG GT. If you want an S Class, do yourself a favor and LEAVE IT ALONE! It’s a classy, elegant car. Pretty much anything you do to try and “improve” it, won’t.

Now, that pic is just rediculous!!!! Lol I hear ya on the mods part, I guess I look at it a little different. Again, when I say lowering I don’t mean bagged or darn there scraping the ground, kind of disrespectful to an S!!! But, I do think the 19’s that come on the car just don’t do the car justice, and shaving off some of the wheel gap IMO makes the car look even better. I think with any car whether it be an S class, an AMG GT, a GLE, or an Wagon, there is always going to be something(to some drivers) minor that you say, man this would look sweet if I just changed......this.....or that. Oh and did I mention how horrible those 50’inch wheels look 😩😩😩😩
Old 01-19-2018, 10:17 AM

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts
2014 S550
I don’t know, I’d say to each their own. A true car guy appreciates everything about a car and supports others love and appreciation. It certainly doesn’t mean we aren’t entitled to our own opinion but if you want to modify it, go for it and tell us your story along the way!

Personally the wheel gap doesn’t bother me so I am not lowering mine. I have the 7 spoke edition 1 wheels but swapped for the AMG multispoke. I think 19s look okay but 20s look better, I personally don’t car for lowered cars or giant rims. I love the AMG exhaust but it’s also a different engine. If I could add that sound with the touch of a button I would but I would also want to turn it off at certain times as well. This leads me to looking at cutouts or bypass valves systems like RennTech but every time I see the price I just freeze. I’m considering trading my S for an AMG anyways so i can’t see spending that money on an exhaust. You could look at the Maybach trim kits. I added the chrome strip along the rear bumper because I think the car looks funny wihout it. I also swapped the front bumper inserts for the Maybach ones to add LED fog lights. I think it finishes the car nicely. I highly suggest/recommend adding the motorized tweeters if you don’t already havs the 3D sound system. It was a noticeable improvement. I also had a tune but had it reversed because I didn’t think it made a noticeable difference.... not enough to risk any warranty claims anyways so I had it flashed back to stock. I’ve been having some transmission surging and am dropping the car off this morning. I MAY send my computer back in to try flashing again as it’s entirely possible that the flash didn’t take/save. My concern is that I’m not going to pay for shipping again and what happens if it doesn’t save for a second time? I live fairly close to the tuner (3 hours each way) so I will likely drive down, have it flashed, test drive and make a decision to keep or return it before driving back.
Old 01-19-2018, 10:23 AM

Audi a7
Originally Posted by Matthayes3741
I don’t know, I’d say to each their own. A true car guy appreciates everything about a car and supports others love and appreciation. It certainly doesn’t mean we aren’t entitled to our own opinion but if you want to modify it, go for it and tell us your story along the way!

Personally the wheel gap doesn’t bother me so I am not lowering mine. I have the 7 spoke edition 1 wheels but swapped for the AMG multispoke. I think 19s look okay but 20s look better, I personally don’t car for lowered cars or giant rims. I love the AMG exhaust but it’s also a different engine. If I could add that sound with the touch of a button I would but I would also want to turn it off at certain times as well. This leads me to looking at cutouts or bypass valves systems like RennTech but every time I see the price I just freeze. I’m considering trading my S for an AMG anyways so i can’t see spending that money on an exhaust. You could look at the Maybach trim kits. I added the chrome strip along the rear bumper because I think the car looks funny wihout it. I also swapped the front bumper inserts for the Maybach ones to add LED fog lights. I think it finishes the car nicely. I highly suggest/recommend adding the motorized tweeters if you don’t already havs the 3D sound system. It was a noticeable improvement. I also had a tune but had it reversed because I didn’t think it made a noticeable difference.... not enough to risk any warranty claims anyways so I had it flashed back to stock. I’ve been having some transmission surging and am dropping the car off this morning. I MAY send my computer back in to try flashing again as it’s entirely possible that the flash didn’t take/save. My concern is that I’m not going to pay for shipping again and what happens if it doesn’t save for a second time? I live fairly close to the tuner (3 hours each way) so I will likely drive down, have it flashed, test drive and make a decision to keep or return it before driving back.
i love the edition one wheels, they look amazing. Nice swap out on that. I have been thinking about the motorized tweeter upgrade, cheap and simple addition. Which tune did you use? ECU tuning is probably last on my list of things to do just because the car has enough power to do what I need it to do, and we’ll, if a C63 pulls up next to me at a light I’m not ballting him, or her anyway!

For the exhuast, what do you mean by cutouts?
Old 01-19-2018, 10:34 AM

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts
2014 S550
Originally Posted by Ksellers10

i love the edition one wheels, they look amazing. Nice swap out on that. I have been thinking about the motorized tweeter upgrade, cheap and simple addition. Which tune did you use? ECU tuning is probably last on my list of things to do just because the car has enough power to do what I need it to do, and we’ll, if a C63 pulls up next to me at a light I’m not ballting him, or her anyway!

For the exhuast, what do you mean by cutouts?
I didnt care for the Edition 1 wheels (my car is an edition 1) but I saved them anyways. I like the multispoke a lot better but I also like the 5 spoke that you can get. I don’t personally care for any of the off-brand random wheels that sponsors post on here. I used OE Tuning.... much better pricing and they allow you to run 91 octane (unlike RT am due others that require 93 which I can’t get near me). I hear you on not drag racing but I was hoping for a little more power (coming from a modded CTS V).

Electronic exhaust cutouts/bypass valves allow you to control the sound of your exhaust. AMG and other cars like M series BMW use them so that you can keep noise down in neighborhoods or on the highway if you want. Check out RTs System.... Sounds great but maybe you wouldn’t want it all be time.
https://www.renntechmercedes.com/ind...22-s550-detail
Old 01-19-2018, 10:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 182 Likes on 152 Posts
s550 Diamond white amg pano
keep in mind in sport mode the car does sit a bit lower. Maybe better off havinbg the car lowered w star computer by an inch and dont install crap.
Old 01-19-2018, 12:31 PM

Received 309 Likes on 200 Posts
S600
Here is my guess as a HPDE driving instructor--that is correct, I get to ride with students and teach them how not to hit things on race tracks.

We have a saying: "If you want to slow the novice driver down" (going around a race track) "give them more HP and more traction"! The feel of the car changes so dramatically, the novice driver has no feel for what to do now.

Back to the plot.

My guess, from my experience, is that lowering an S-class so that it has (the potential for) better traction (lower CoG) is that the average driver will be slower in that configuration than at stock ride heights.
My further guess, knowing how sidewall height interacts with available traction, is that really large wheels and tires with vanishingly small side walls, both make the car feel like crap, they harm the ability of the average driver to feel the tires, and thereby make driving mistakes that would not have been made with the standard wheel tire packages.
Finally, there is a reason F1 cars have larger tire sidewalls--1/2 of the suspension movement is in those sidewalls!
The reason LMP endurance cars have such short sidewalls is that they want the larger brakes that can fit under the wheel, and are willing to trade cornering traction for braking traction (where most passing is done).
So, unless you are going to add 3" of rotor size when you add 3" of rim size--you are simply playing the part of a poser.

But, its your money, you get to decide what to do with it.
Old 01-19-2018, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by Streamliner

Come on Stream, I saw you liking the sport package MY18 S-Class a while back
18" wheels be damned, if Mercedes wouldn't charge for the sport package, you would be sporting 20" AMG wheels as well With conventional tires they ride very smooth.

But I agree on the S-Class; I actually liked the car exactly as-is. I do like other aftermarket wheels from design and quality perspective as the S550/S560 wheels are fairly cheaply made (cast aluminum - mid-level vendors) whereas forged wheels will improve the ride.
Old 01-20-2018, 12:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by Wolfman
Come on Stream, I saw you liking the sport package MY18 S-Class a while back
18" wheels be damned, if Mercedes wouldn't charge for the sport package, you would be sporting 20" AMG wheels as well With conventional tires they ride very smooth.

But I agree on the S-Class; I actually liked the car exactly as-is. I do like other aftermarket wheels from design and quality perspective as the S550/S560 wheels are fairly cheaply made (cast aluminum - mid-level vendors) whereas forged wheels will improve the ride.
You’re right, Wolf, I do like the facelifted S560 with the AMG Line and even considered one for about ten minutes, before I came to my senses. However, in the end, even if it was a no cost option, I decided that I didn’t want to go with it. I much prefer the idea of a subtle, reserved, understated, luxury sedan. Overall, I just don’t care for things that make a big luxury saloon look like it’s some sort of a sports car. Add to that, the idea that MB has the chutzpah to charge $5,900.00 for the AMG Line option, then it becomes a true no-brainer for me. The same option on the E Class, which includes upgraded brakes, which are not part of the S Class Package, is only a $650.00 option. They are screwing S Class customers, so screw them!

I have a new S560 on the water right now. It is equipped virtually identically to my 2015, but this time I went Iridium. This time (not heeding the same advice I gave to the OP), I’m going to look into making my glass roof do a disappearing act. Went for the no cost 18” wheel “downgrade.” I might have gone with 19’s, if any of them really turned me on, but none do. No matter what, I would never have gone with 20’s, unless they offered those amazing Maybach wheels—and probably not even then. Ride quality is everything to me. I would consider changing out the wheels if it would noticeably improve my ride quality, but I don’t think anybody makes forged 18” wheels to fit the W222, or do they? Oh, and of course, the run flats will be swapped out immediately for my beloved Bridgestone Serenity Plus conventionals and my W221 spare will migrate to the trunk of the new car.

Anyway, I don’t like the term “pulling the trigger” to describe a placed order. I prefer to say that I have “loaded the gun.” IF the dealer treats me right on the deal, I’ll pull the trigger. If not, I’ll keep my 2015 and wait for the I6 S500 coming here when, next year?

Last edited by Streamliner; 01-20-2018 at 12:31 PM.
Old 01-20-2018, 12:37 PM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
I'm on my second Iridium colored car
Old 01-20-2018, 01:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by hyperion667
I'm on my second Iridium colored car
My wife’s E is Iridium. A bird hits it or it gets splashed, just wipe it off with a wet towel and it looks great. Do that to a black car and you need to take it to the detailer to get the scratches taken out. Plus, you can get vinyl wrap in virtually the same color. Any idea what I’m thinking?
Old 01-20-2018, 03:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 796 Likes on 752 Posts
2015 S550 Palladium/Deep Sea Blue, 2016 Tesla Model S 70D, 2015 Volvo XC70
Ksellers10,

For wheels I suggest that if you haven't, it might be helpful to look through pics here: https://mbworld.org/forums/new-s-cla...re-thread.html

This is just my personal opinion and I'd never get 22s myself, but I do like the look of these HREs:
in silver
and especially in gray/silver

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: QUESTIONS....MODS!!!!