Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 08:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 241 Likes on 202 Posts
A car
Honest advice - massage seat feature in the W222 S class

Forum friends,

I am in need of some genuine advice here. I have debilitating back pain, and now am at a stage where my walking is impaired. I am a lot younger than many of you, but at this point, the pain is quite overwhelming when it comes to long distance drives (1 hour or longer).

An S class is within my budget, but there's only three things I care about.

1) Suspension - obviously air suspension on the S wins.
2) Quietness - obviously the S class is one of the quietest cars on the planet (in this class - vs a Bentley/Rolls/Maybach)
3) Seats - namely - massaging seats.

Massaging seats (the real ones that are not on cars) are amazing. I realize that there are limitations when massaging seats make their ways to car (safety is chief I guess). What I would really love to know is - do these massaging seats actually make your life better? E.g. - is it a tickle, or is it a pretty "crappy" real massage (which in my mind is great for a car).

What are your honest thoughts on the massaging seat feature? Bonus points if you have back pain and you feel your life has gotten a lot better or stayed the same with this feature.

Thanks!
Old 08-09-2018, 09:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 913 Likes on 601 Posts
2019 SL550/2023 EQS 580 SUV
I have never found massage seats in cars to be very effective, with MB I have only had it on my SL’s and like you I have terrible lower back problems. On longer trips I find changing adjustments on the seat on a regular basis never lets my leg muscles stiffen and the pinching at the lower vertebrae is alleviated somewhat.
PS- Oddly enough the more lumbar support I set on my seats the worse my lower back hurts. My F-250 pickup is the easiest on my lower back. Go figure!

Last edited by Utopia Texas; 08-09-2018 at 09:13 PM.
The following users liked this post:
superangrypenguin (08-09-2018)
Old 08-09-2018, 09:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Originally Posted by Utopia Texas
I have never found massage seats in cars to be very effective, with MB I have only had it on my SL’s and like you I have terrible lower back problems. On longer trips I find changing adjustments on the seat on a regular basis never lets my leg muscles stiffen and the pinching at the lower vertebrae is alleviated somewhat.
PS- Oddly enough the more lumbar support I set on my seats the worse my lower back hurts. My F-250 pickup is the easiest on my lower back. Go figure!
Thank you Utopia Texas. So I just want to be crystal clear here if I may. In your opinion, the massage seats is not something you feel helps you with your lower back issues? E.g. It's not something you're like..."wow, thank gosh I bought this option!"?

I use the heated seats on my W204 on every drive, at max setting, and it helps. I just feel like some lower back massage action would help, but after watching the guy on Youtube tear open that S class seat, I was like..."wait, that's it?!"

Thank you again. Just looking for some further clarification. My interpretation of your post is that it's more of a gimmick than anything, and I haven't found any review to indicate that, but then again most people don't suffer from our back pain issues!
Old 08-09-2018, 09:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 243 Likes on 195 Posts
2014 S550 AMG, 2017 XT5
Talking

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Thank you Utopia Texas. So I just want to be crystal clear here if I may. In your opinion, the massage seats is not something you feel helps you with your lower back issues? E.g. It's not something you're like..."wow, thank gosh I bought this option!"?

I use the heated seats on my W204 on every drive, at max setting, and it helps. I just feel like some lower back massage action would help, but after watching the guy on Youtube tear open that S class seat, I was like..."wait, that's it?!"

Thank you again. Just looking for some further clarification. My interpretation of your post is that it's more of a gimmick than anything, and I haven't found any review to indicate that, but then again most people don't suffer from our back pain issues!
Cool to say you have them, but totally useless..... At best, you will feel something, but a hot stone massage, please....
Best advice I can give you, Go to a Local Dealer and Test all features of the seats. For every person that will say its amazing, I'm sure you will find someone that will say its a novelty.
superangrypenguin (08-09-2018)
Old 08-10-2018, 09:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Originally Posted by Nice Ride
Cool to say you have them, but totally useless..... At best, you will feel something, but a hot stone massage, please....
Best advice I can give you, Go to a Local Dealer and Test all features of the seats. For every person that will say its amazing, I'm sure you will find someone that will say its a novelty.
Thanks. I'll try and make time today to do just this. I've test driven the S a bunch of times but for whatever insane reason, I keep on forgetting to try out the massage seats.
Utopia Texas (08-10-2018)
Old 08-10-2018, 09:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,419 Likes on 1,948 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
I have lower back & shoulder issues as well and I boil it all down this way: There is no way I am buying a big sedan without the massage seat feature. The function may not be nearly as good as a home type massage chair, but it is WAY better than not having any massage function in the car, especially on longer drives. The lack of massage seats was one of two main reasons I did not jump to the Genesis G90 this time around. The other was the lack of a sophisticated suspension like MBC—which I highly recommend as well. As far as I am concerned, my S560 is “THE” most comfortable car on the planet.
The following 2 users liked this post by Streamliner:
Phillyfinest (08-10-2018), superangrypenguin (08-10-2018)
Old 08-10-2018, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
I loved the massage seats in our S and they are not at all comparable to the weak massage functions in the SL (which are still great for a roadster). Had both cars side by side so it was easy to compare. We use the massage functions, even on short trips and miss them very much in our AMG which has more or less bucket seats...

Using the massage function does work well, but the hot stone function may not be good for back pain. Heat is typically not helpful... it is interesting that while I have test driven the S560, I neglected to ever turn on the massage to see how much it changed from our S550.

Originally the MY18 S-Class was supposed to gain a lower seat massage function (seat plus back) but believe that it didn’t make it into production. The 7 series has that but the seat cushion massage is worthless (2016+)

superangrypenguin (08-10-2018)
Old 08-10-2018, 09:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Thanks gentlemen. Just like @streamliner, I too turned down the Genesis G90 because of the lack of said seat function, and also super thankful for @Wolfman's comments about the S vs the SL as after @Utopia Texas's comments I was pretty disheartened.
Old 08-10-2018, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Alrighty, I'm back. Please don't shoot the messenger here, but I could not have been more underwhelmned here. I was told something though and unsure if it's true. I tested out the massage function in the dealership, so the car was not started. The sales person told me that it's "weaker" when the car is on battery.

Is that true?

To be fair though folks, I did just drive the 2018 Lexus LS500 and the massage seats were night and day better (As in MUCH better) than the S class (2018), so I know it can be done right and is another data point.
Old 08-10-2018, 02:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Seems to me if I was trying to sell someone a 100k+ car I’d let them turn the engine on to test the seats......and it would not even add mileage to the odometer!
Old 08-10-2018, 02:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Seems to me if I was trying to sell someone a 100k+ car I’d let them turn the engine on to test the seats......and it would not even add mileage to the odometer!
It was in the dealership (inside). They did have one outside but I figure there was no point as I have driven it a bunch of times and am only interested in the function of the seats.
Old 08-10-2018, 06:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 338 Likes on 211 Posts
S560
There are two intensity settings for massages. Make sure you were in the stronger intensity- They aren't amazing but better than most...
Old 08-10-2018, 06:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Originally Posted by emilner
There are two intensity settings for massages. Make sure you were in the stronger intensity- They aren't amazing but better than most...
Yes I made sure I maxed out the intensity setting. I remember doing this.
Old 08-10-2018, 08:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 243 Likes on 195 Posts
2014 S550 AMG, 2017 XT5
Talking

Yes I made sure I maxed out the intensity setting. I remember doing this.
It also helps to:
1. Sit properly in the seat.
2. Adjust the Lumbar/Back, the more it protrudes, the closer the massage will be to your back. You really need to sit firmly back in the seat to appreciate it.
3. Make sure you don't have on a Jacket or Coat.....

Now, Go back to the Dealer, and test a car on the Lot so you can start it. In my opinion, starting the car will not change much.... But heck, go test it again.....
Old 08-10-2018, 08:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Originally Posted by Nice Ride
It also helps to:
1. Sit properly in the seat.
2. Adjust the Lumbar/Back, the more it protrudes, the closer the massage will be to your back. You really need to sit firmly back in the seat to appreciate it.
3. Make sure you don't have on a Jacket or Coat.....

Now, Go back to the Dealer, and test a car on the Lot so you can start it. In my opinion, starting the car will not change much.... But heck, go test it again.....
After running the numbers, Mercedes is willing to give me $10K right off the bat (current promo), and some money under the Executive Car Allowance program. I don't know what that is, but I have asked.

This now puts the car's price, for the dealer (no margin) at a cheaper amount than the LS. That blows my mind. The LS doesn't even sell well, so I'm fairly certain this is a done deal anyways.

For the record, the condition for testing both cars was the same. No jacket, just a dress shirt and dress pants.
Old 08-10-2018, 09:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You really need to test the seats naked to really get the true Mercedes Benz experience......
Old 08-10-2018, 09:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
You really need to test the seats naked to really get the true Mercedes Benz experience......
BAHAHAHA!

Well, I'm happy to give that shot, in my garage, with the doors closed. Performance anxiety is an issue if I try to do this at a dealership.
Old 08-10-2018, 09:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Back to the thread topic at hand.

Yup, that sums it up. Go to 6:03.
Old 08-11-2018, 12:01 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2016 S550 4 Matic Sport, 2015 BMW 528xi, 2012 BMW 528xi (gone), 2011 BMW Z4 (Yellow - gone)
Fwiw I hurt my back lately, and step 1 (summer time) is turn on the seat vent, and step 2 is EITHER heated seat or heated massage (I disabled heated door and arm panels for the summer). The heat plus massage help. Otherwise, the massage to me is a novelty, but now that I’m healing up I like it.
Old 08-11-2018, 08:03 PM

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
2012 E550 Sedan
In case anybody wanted to see exactly what's inside a Mercedes S-Class seat take a look at this video. The guy and his son are very popular on YouTube for cutting things apart, which is why Mercedes invited them to Germany to cut open one of their S-Class seats.

Old 08-11-2018, 08:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Originally Posted by jumpman726
In case anybody wanted to see exactly what's inside a Mercedes S-Class seat take a look at this video. The guy and his son are very popular on YouTube for cutting things apart, which is why Mercedes invited them to Germany to cut open one of their S-Class seats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XDuvbyIfWs
Yes, that video is what led me to question the efficacy of the S class's seat. I drove one today (a 2015 S 550) because they didn't have any 2018s left on the lot since S class sales are rare around here, and the ride still floored me, but even still, the massage seats (and the Burmester stereo) were both VERY terrible in my views. A stock Bose 2018 Audi A8 system (and massage seats) beat out the S, however the S's ride cannot be beat. I still have not made up my mind on what to do now.
Old 08-11-2018, 08:58 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
04 Lexus LS430
Yes, that video is what led me to question the efficacy of the S class's seat. I drove one today (a 2015 S 550) because they didn't have any 2018s left on the lot since S class sales are rare around here, and the ride still floored me, but even still, the massage seats (and the Burmester stereo) were both VERY terrible in my views. A stock Bose 2018 Audi A8 system (and massage seats) beat out the S, however the S's ride cannot be beat. I still have not made up my mind on what to do now.

have you test driven any 2018s with Magic Body Control suspension? Streamliner loves his on 18” wheels.
Curious to see which one you’d prefer.
Old 08-11-2018, 09:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Originally Posted by aypues

have you test driven any 2018s with Magic Body Control suspension? Streamliner loves his on 18” wheels.
Curious to see which one you’d prefer.
You hit a nerve without realizing it. :-)

If MBC was an option on 4matic cars, the S class would have been in my garage by now. I am not even kidding. MBC is not an option on 4matic S classes, and that's all they sell in Canada.

I'm holding out for the 2019 Audi A8 as the stereoscopic camera system is coming on the A8, although the Audi dealer still does not know if that particular function is coming to Canada.
aypues (08-11-2018)
Old 08-11-2018, 09:17 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
04 Lexus LS430
You hit a nerve without realizing it. :-)

If MBC was an option on 4matic cars, the S class would have been in my garage by now. I am not even kidding. MBC is not an option on 4matic S classes, and that's all they sell in Canada.

I'm holding out for the 2019 Audi A8 as the stereoscopic camera system is coming on the A8, although the Audi dealer still does not know if that particular function is coming to Canada.
cool! Ya I’ve read the 2019 A8’s Adaptive Chassis Package will rival or be superior to MBC due to its electromechanical setup vs hydraulic. We’ll have to see!
superangrypenguin (08-11-2018)
Old 08-11-2018, 09:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Originally Posted by aypues

cool! Ya I’ve read the 2019 A8’s Adaptive Chassis Package will rival or be superior to MBC due to its electromechanical setup vs hydraulic. We’ll have to see!
The only downside is that my ***** don't hang that low and I'm scared to repeat a decision I once made which was to buy a first gen Audi. I got burned bad the first time around. I just don't know what to do now but want to give Audi the benefit of the doubt here with the new one.

Kahonas? Pfft....I ain't got those

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Honest advice - massage seat feature in the W222 S class