Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans > New S-Class (W222)
Honest advice - massage seat feature in the W222 S class >

Honest advice - massage seat feature in the W222 S class

Notices
New S-Class (W222) 2014-Present

Honest advice - massage seat feature in the W222 S class

 
Old 08-09-2018, 08:49 PM
  #1  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,127
Liked 150 Times in 138 Posts
W204
Honest advice - massage seat feature in the W222 S class

Forum friends,

I am in need of some genuine advice here. I have debilitating back pain, and now am at a stage where my walking is impaired. I am a lot younger than many of you, but at this point, the pain is quite overwhelming when it comes to long distance drives (1 hour or longer).

An S class is within my budget, but there's only three things I care about.

1) Suspension - obviously air suspension on the S wins.
2) Quietness - obviously the S class is one of the quietest cars on the planet (in this class - vs a Bentley/Rolls/Maybach)
3) Seats - namely - massaging seats.

Massaging seats (the real ones that are not on cars) are amazing. I realize that there are limitations when massaging seats make their ways to car (safety is chief I guess). What I would really love to know is - do these massaging seats actually make your life better? E.g. - is it a tickle, or is it a pretty "crappy" real massage (which in my mind is great for a car).

What are your honest thoughts on the massaging seat feature? Bonus points if you have back pain and you feel your life has gotten a lot better or stayed the same with this feature.

Thanks!
superangrypenguin is offline  
Old 08-09-2018, 09:10 PM
  #2  
Super Member
 
Utopia Texas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Brookshire, Texas & Cat Spring, Texas
Posts: 523
Liked 82 Times in 68 Posts
2008 SL550/2017 SL450
I have never found massage seats in cars to be very effective, with MB I have only had it on my SL’s and like you I have terrible lower back problems. On longer trips I find changing adjustments on the seat on a regular basis never lets my leg muscles stiffen and the pinching at the lower vertebrae is alleviated somewhat.
PS- Oddly enough the more lumbar support I set on my seats the worse my lower back hurts. My F-250 pickup is the easiest on my lower back. Go figure!

Last edited by Utopia Texas; 08-09-2018 at 09:13 PM.
Utopia Texas is offline  
The following users liked this post: Utopia Texas
superangrypenguin (08-09-2018)
Old 08-09-2018, 09:15 PM
  #3  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,127
Liked 150 Times in 138 Posts
W204
Originally Posted by Utopia Texas View Post
I have never found massage seats in cars to be very effective, with MB I have only had it on my SL’s and like you I have terrible lower back problems. On longer trips I find changing adjustments on the seat on a regular basis never lets my leg muscles stiffen and the pinching at the lower vertebrae is alleviated somewhat.
PS- Oddly enough the more lumbar support I set on my seats the worse my lower back hurts. My F-250 pickup is the easiest on my lower back. Go figure!
Thank you Utopia Texas. So I just want to be crystal clear here if I may. In your opinion, the massage seats is not something you feel helps you with your lower back issues? E.g. It's not something you're like..."wow, thank gosh I bought this option!"?

I use the heated seats on my W204 on every drive, at max setting, and it helps. I just feel like some lower back massage action would help, but after watching the guy on Youtube tear open that S class seat, I was like..."wait, that's it?!"

Thank you again. Just looking for some further clarification. My interpretation of your post is that it's more of a gimmick than anything, and I haven't found any review to indicate that, but then again most people don't suffer from our back pain issues!
superangrypenguin is offline  
Old 08-09-2018, 09:43 PM
  #4  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 799
Liked 72 Times in 64 Posts
2014 S550 AMG, 2017 XT5
Talking

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin View Post
Thank you Utopia Texas. So I just want to be crystal clear here if I may. In your opinion, the massage seats is not something you feel helps you with your lower back issues? E.g. It's not something you're like..."wow, thank gosh I bought this option!"?

I use the heated seats on my W204 on every drive, at max setting, and it helps. I just feel like some lower back massage action would help, but after watching the guy on Youtube tear open that S class seat, I was like..."wait, that's it?!"

Thank you again. Just looking for some further clarification. My interpretation of your post is that it's more of a gimmick than anything, and I haven't found any review to indicate that, but then again most people don't suffer from our back pain issues!
Cool to say you have them, but totally useless..... At best, you will feel something, but a hot stone massage, please....
Best advice I can give you, Go to a Local Dealer and Test all features of the seats. For every person that will say its amazing, I'm sure you will find someone that will say its a novelty.
Nice Ride is offline  
The following users liked this post: Nice Ride
superangrypenguin (08-09-2018)
Old 08-10-2018, 09:03 AM
  #5  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,127
Liked 150 Times in 138 Posts
W204
Originally Posted by Nice Ride View Post
Cool to say you have them, but totally useless..... At best, you will feel something, but a hot stone massage, please....
Best advice I can give you, Go to a Local Dealer and Test all features of the seats. For every person that will say its amazing, I'm sure you will find someone that will say its a novelty.
Thanks. I'll try and make time today to do just this. I've test driven the S a bunch of times but for whatever insane reason, I keep on forgetting to try out the massage seats.
superangrypenguin is offline  
The following users liked this post: superangrypenguin
Utopia Texas (08-10-2018)
Old 08-10-2018, 09:44 AM
  #6  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Streamliner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 2,728
Liked 365 Times in 276 Posts
2016 E350 Sedan, 2018 S560 Sedan, On order: 2019 SL450
I have lower back & shoulder issues as well and I boil it all down this way: There is no way I am buying a big sedan without the massage seat feature. The function may not be nearly as good as a home type massage chair, but it is WAY better than not having any massage function in the car, especially on longer drives. The lack of massage seats was one of two main reasons I did not jump to the Genesis G90 this time around. The other was the lack of a sophisticated suspension like MBCwhich I highly recommend as well. As far as I am concerned, my S560 is THE most comfortable car on the planet.
Streamliner is offline  
The following 2 users liked this post by Streamliner:
Phillyfinest (08-10-2018), superangrypenguin (08-10-2018)
Old 08-10-2018, 09:45 AM
  #7  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Midwest.
Posts: 4,852
Liked 429 Times in 346 Posts
'18 E63s ED1, '17 SL550, '14 ML350
.
I loved the massage seats in our S and they are not at all comparable to the weak massage functions in the SL (which are still great for a roadster). Had both cars side by side so it was easy to compare. We use the massage functions, even on short trips and miss them very much in our AMG which has more or less bucket seats...

Using the massage function does work well, but the hot stone function may not be good for back pain. Heat is typically not helpful... it is interesting that while I have test driven the S560, I neglected to ever turn on the massage to see how much it changed from our S550.

Originally the MY18 S-Class was supposed to gain a lower seat massage function (seat plus back) but believe that it didn’t make it into production. The 7 series has that but the seat cushion massage is worthless (2016+)

Wolfman is offline  
The following users liked this post: Wolfman
superangrypenguin (08-10-2018)
Old 08-10-2018, 09:48 AM
  #8  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,127
Liked 150 Times in 138 Posts
W204
Thanks gentlemen. Just like @streamliner, I too turned down the Genesis G90 because of the lack of said seat function, and also super thankful for @Wolfman's comments about the S vs the SL as after @Utopia Texas's comments I was pretty disheartened.
superangrypenguin is offline  
Old 08-10-2018, 02:46 PM
  #9  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,127
Liked 150 Times in 138 Posts
W204
Alrighty, I'm back. Please don't shoot the messenger here, but I could not have been more underwhelmned here. I was told something though and unsure if it's true. I tested out the massage function in the dealership, so the car was not started. The sales person told me that it's "weaker" when the car is on battery.

Is that true?

To be fair though folks, I did just drive the 2018 Lexus LS500 and the massage seats were night and day better (As in MUCH better) than the S class (2018), so I know it can be done right and is another data point.
superangrypenguin is offline  
Old 08-10-2018, 02:49 PM
  #10  
Super Member
 
Utopia Texas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Brookshire, Texas & Cat Spring, Texas
Posts: 523
Liked 82 Times in 68 Posts
2008 SL550/2017 SL450
Seems to me if I was trying to sell someone a 100k+ car I’d let them turn the engine on to test the seats......and it would not even add mileage to the odometer!
Utopia Texas is offline  
Old 08-10-2018, 02:52 PM
  #11  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,127
Liked 150 Times in 138 Posts
W204
Originally Posted by Utopia Texas View Post
Seems to me if I was trying to sell someone a 100k+ car Id let them turn the engine on to test the seats......and it would not even add mileage to the odometer!
It was in the dealership (inside). They did have one outside but I figure there was no point as I have driven it a bunch of times and am only interested in the function of the seats.
superangrypenguin is offline  
Old 08-10-2018, 06:48 PM
  #12  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Huntington NY
Posts: 1,417
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Kinda...
There are two intensity settings for massages. Make sure you were in the stronger intensity- They aren't amazing but better than most...
emilner is offline  
Old 08-10-2018, 06:49 PM
  #13  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,127
Liked 150 Times in 138 Posts
W204
Originally Posted by emilner View Post
There are two intensity settings for massages. Make sure you were in the stronger intensity- They aren't amazing but better than most...
Yes I made sure I maxed out the intensity setting. I remember doing this.
superangrypenguin is offline  
Old 08-10-2018, 08:54 PM
  #14  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 799
Liked 72 Times in 64 Posts
2014 S550 AMG, 2017 XT5
Talking

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin View Post
Yes I made sure I maxed out the intensity setting. I remember doing this.
It also helps to:
1. Sit properly in the seat.
2. Adjust the Lumbar/Back, the more it protrudes, the closer the massage will be to your back. You really need to sit firmly back in the seat to appreciate it.
3. Make sure you don't have on a Jacket or Coat.....

Now, Go back to the Dealer, and test a car on the Lot so you can start it. In my opinion, starting the car will not change much.... But heck, go test it again.....
Nice Ride is offline  
Old 08-10-2018, 08:59 PM
  #15  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,127
Liked 150 Times in 138 Posts
W204
Originally Posted by Nice Ride View Post
It also helps to:
1. Sit properly in the seat.
2. Adjust the Lumbar/Back, the more it protrudes, the closer the massage will be to your back. You really need to sit firmly back in the seat to appreciate it.
3. Make sure you don't have on a Jacket or Coat.....

Now, Go back to the Dealer, and test a car on the Lot so you can start it. In my opinion, starting the car will not change much.... But heck, go test it again.....
After running the numbers, Mercedes is willing to give me $10K right off the bat (current promo), and some money under the Executive Car Allowance program. I don't know what that is, but I have asked.

This now puts the car's price, for the dealer (no margin) at a cheaper amount than the LS. That blows my mind. The LS doesn't even sell well, so I'm fairly certain this is a done deal anyways.

For the record, the condition for testing both cars was the same. No jacket, just a dress shirt and dress pants.
superangrypenguin is offline  
Old 08-10-2018, 09:10 PM
  #16  
Super Member
 
Utopia Texas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Brookshire, Texas & Cat Spring, Texas
Posts: 523
Liked 82 Times in 68 Posts
2008 SL550/2017 SL450
You really need to test the seats naked to really get the true Mercedes Benz experience......
Utopia Texas is offline  
Old 08-10-2018, 09:13 PM
  #17  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,127
Liked 150 Times in 138 Posts
W204
Originally Posted by Utopia Texas View Post
You really need to test the seats naked to really get the true Mercedes Benz experience......
BAHAHAHA!

Well, I'm happy to give that shot, in my garage, with the doors closed. Performance anxiety is an issue if I try to do this at a dealership.
superangrypenguin is offline  
Old 08-10-2018, 09:28 PM
  #18  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,127
Liked 150 Times in 138 Posts
W204
Back to the thread topic at hand.


Yup, that sums it up. Go to 6:03.
superangrypenguin is offline  
Old 08-11-2018, 12:01 AM
  #19  
Member
 
garygnu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Central New Jersey
Posts: 198
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
2016 S550 4 Matic Sport, 2015 BMW 528xi, 2012 BMW 528xi (gone), 2011 BMW Z4 (Yellow - gone)
Fwiw I hurt my back lately, and step 1 (summer time) is turn on the seat vent, and step 2 is EITHER heated seat or heated massage (I disabled heated door and arm panels for the summer). The heat plus massage help. Otherwise, the massage to me is a novelty, but now that I’m healing up I like it.
garygnu is offline  
Old 08-11-2018, 08:03 PM
  #20  
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Midwest
Posts: 182
Liked 27 Times in 23 Posts
2012 E550 Sedan
In case anybody wanted to see exactly what's inside a Mercedes S-Class seat take a look at this video. The guy and his son are very popular on YouTube for cutting things apart, which is why Mercedes invited them to Germany to cut open one of their S-Class seats.


jumpman726 is offline  
Old 08-11-2018, 08:41 PM
  #21  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,127
Liked 150 Times in 138 Posts
W204
Originally Posted by jumpman726 View Post
In case anybody wanted to see exactly what's inside a Mercedes S-Class seat take a look at this video. The guy and his son are very popular on YouTube for cutting things apart, which is why Mercedes invited them to Germany to cut open one of their S-Class seats.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XDuvbyIfWs
Yes, that video is what led me to question the efficacy of the S class's seat. I drove one today (a 2015 S 550) because they didn't have any 2018s left on the lot since S class sales are rare around here, and the ride still floored me, but even still, the massage seats (and the Burmester stereo) were both VERY terrible in my views. A stock Bose 2018 Audi A8 system (and massage seats) beat out the S, however the S's ride cannot be beat. I still have not made up my mind on what to do now.
superangrypenguin is offline  
Old 08-11-2018, 08:58 PM
  #22  
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: San Diego
Posts: 178
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
04 Lexus LS430
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin View Post
Yes, that video is what led me to question the efficacy of the S class's seat. I drove one today (a 2015 S 550) because they didn't have any 2018s left on the lot since S class sales are rare around here, and the ride still floored me, but even still, the massage seats (and the Burmester stereo) were both VERY terrible in my views. A stock Bose 2018 Audi A8 system (and massage seats) beat out the S, however the S's ride cannot be beat. I still have not made up my mind on what to do now.

have you test driven any 2018s with Magic Body Control suspension? Streamliner loves his on 18 wheels.
Curious to see which one youd prefer.
aypues is offline  
Old 08-11-2018, 09:04 PM
  #23  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,127
Liked 150 Times in 138 Posts
W204
Originally Posted by aypues View Post



have you test driven any 2018s with Magic Body Control suspension? Streamliner loves his on 18” wheels.
Curious to see which one you’d prefer.
You hit a nerve without realizing it. :-)

If MBC was an option on 4matic cars, the S class would have been in my garage by now. I am not even kidding. MBC is not an option on 4matic S classes, and that's all they sell in Canada.

I'm holding out for the 2019 Audi A8 as the stereoscopic camera system is coming on the A8, although the Audi dealer still does not know if that particular function is coming to Canada.
superangrypenguin is offline  
The following users liked this post: superangrypenguin
aypues (08-11-2018)
Old 08-11-2018, 09:17 PM
  #24  
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: San Diego
Posts: 178
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
04 Lexus LS430
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin View Post
You hit a nerve without realizing it. :-)

If MBC was an option on 4matic cars, the S class would have been in my garage by now. I am not even kidding. MBC is not an option on 4matic S classes, and that's all they sell in Canada.

I'm holding out for the 2019 Audi A8 as the stereoscopic camera system is coming on the A8, although the Audi dealer still does not know if that particular function is coming to Canada.
cool! Ya Ive read the 2019 A8s Adaptive Chassis Package will rival or be superior to MBC due to its electromechanical setup vs hydraulic. Well have to see!
aypues is offline  
The following users liked this post: aypues
superangrypenguin (08-11-2018)
Old 08-11-2018, 09:24 PM
  #25  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,127
Liked 150 Times in 138 Posts
W204
Originally Posted by aypues View Post


cool! Ya Ive read the 2019 A8s Adaptive Chassis Package will rival or be superior to MBC due to its electromechanical setup vs hydraulic. Well have to see!
The only downside is that my ***** don't hang that low and I'm scared to repeat a decision I once made which was to buy a first gen Audi. I got burned bad the first time around. I just don't know what to do now but want to give Audi the benefit of the doubt here with the new one.

Kahonas? Pfft....I ain't got those
superangrypenguin is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Quick Reply: Honest advice - massage seat feature in the W222 S class


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: