2019 Maybach S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 09:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 242 Likes on 202 Posts
A car
2019 Maybach S

Brought a smile to my face :-) Maybe one day I can afford one. (the first part showing the light functions)
Old 09-04-2018, 03:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 644 Likes on 483 Posts
W212 FL
That car is looker but missing chrome mirror caps
Old 09-04-2018, 10:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,741 Likes on 2,137 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
The Maybach could be—and should be—SO much more. OK, so they changed the grill, added the chrome on the front and what I personally think is a ridiculous feature with the gimmicky headlights. Other than that, the car is a long wheelbase W222, nothing much more. It comes in the same, old, worn out colors that MB has used pretty much across the model lines for years now. The interiors are virtually the same as what in available in an S450.

I truly feel that MB is missing a great opportunity with the Maybach. They should offer their most well heeled customers the opportunity to truly customize their cars, with many more color and interior options. In addition, the minuscule trunk—for a car the size of a Maybach—should be increased in size. Hell, you can hardly put a days worth of shopping on Rodeo Drive in that itsy-bitsy trunk! And, the wonderful Maybach Exclusive Wheels only come as 20”. I drove a Maybach with them and the car could not hold a candle to my S560 in ride comfort, riding on those 20’s and shod with run flats,

To me, the Maybach is just another MB variant of an existing model, and this adnausiam behavior is really starting to get old. The Maybach should just be called an S560 or S600 LWB. It isn’t special enough to be called a Maybach. MB decided to build it because they EASILY could. When will this juggernaut of German engineering prowess give us something truly breathtaking? Putting the Ocean Drive into production would have been an excellent start, but instead, they gave us the easily accomplished S Class Cabriolet, which very few folks seem to like. Let’s face it, when it comes to real luxury & opulence, MB can’t seem to compete with the gorgeous things that roll out of jolly, old England.

The following users liked this post:
Nice Ride (09-05-2018)
Old 09-04-2018, 12:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 354 Likes on 232 Posts
S600
So, if I read this right, the only rational for the Maybach is the ability to get the V12 engine that is toned down unlike the S65?
Old 09-04-2018, 12:25 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,418 Likes on 2,857 Posts
2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1Xe5FZYYPg

Brought a smile to my face :-) Maybe one day I can afford one. (the first part showing the light functions)
You can afford one; question is......why.........

Streamliner made some good points
Old 09-04-2018, 01:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 242 Likes on 202 Posts
A car
Originally Posted by hyperion667
You can afford one; question is......why.........

Streamliner made some good points
Why would anyone buy a rolls?
Old 09-04-2018, 02:39 PM

Received 134 Likes on 63 Posts
2009 Bentley Azure and 2020 BMW M760i
Originally Posted by Streamliner
The Maybach could be—and should be—SO much more. OK, so they changed the grill, added the chrome on the front and what I personally think is a ridiculous feature with the gimmicky headlights. Other than that, the car is a long wheelbase W222, nothing much more. It comes in the same, old, worn out colors that MB has used pretty much across the model lines for years now. The interiors are virtually the same as what in available in an S450.

I truly feel that MB is missing a great opportunity with the Maybach. They should offer their most well heeled customers the opportunity to truly customize their cars, with many more color and interior options. In addition, the minuscule trunk—for a car the size of a Maybach—should be increased in size. Hell, you can hardly put a days worth of shopping on Rodeo Drive in that itsy-bitsy trunk! And, the wonderful Maybach Exclusive Wheels only come as 20”. I drove a Maybach with them and the car could not hold a candle to my S560 in ride comfort, riding on those 20’s and shod with run flats,

To me, the Maybach is just another MB variant of an existing model, and this adnausiam behavior is really starting to get old. The Maybach should just be called an S560 or S600 LWB. It isn’t special enough to be called a Maybach. MB decided to build it because they EASILY could. When will this juggernaut of German engineering prowess give us something truly breathtaking? Putting the Ocean Drive into production would have been an excellent start, but instead, they gave us the easily accomplished S Class Cabriolet, which very few folks seem to like. Let’s face it, when it comes to real luxury & opulence, MB can’t seem to compete with the gorgeous things that roll out of jolly, old England.

Reasonable argument but a few points to note.

1) They did offer from 2004 and on (forgot when they ceased) - a Maybach in it's own right. 57 and 62. They lost money on everyone they sold. The cost was 100k to 200k more than the current Maybach S600. (150 to 250k more than an S560 Maybach). It was very customizable - two tone paint - could have the interior rear cabin cordoned off from the front. Could have special woods put in, etc. It didn't sell well, or enough to warrant continuing it.

2) The price of these Maybachs (not to repeat) are significantly less than the pre-era Maybachs. For that money - they had to streamline it. Had to be done on assembly line with others. Otherwise it would likely not meet their budget to get the car to market at the prices given. $165k for an S560 Maybach is pretty darn amazing actually. It offers the executive the ability to have a very comfortable roomy S560 4matic - with all the comforts of a larger space for 30K more than a fully loaded S560 (135k). I think that's one hell of a good sales pitch. Do you remember when Mercedes imported S600s? They were $168k. So again, for 30k more - you could get a S600 maybach. Brilliant to offer it at the price they are. Don't have any idea of their sales records but if it is NOT selling - it is not the price point.

3) You mentioned above about it being more appropriately labeled an S Class LWB. However, they make the S Class in SWB and LWB. America just gets the LWB. So it would technically be a LWB+ by your definition - but the car's rear interior surely gives it more than just an LWB feel. It's a distinct length when you compare it to other luxury cars that offer SWB and LWB (A8 vs A8L 750i vs 750Li XJ8 vs XJ8L).
Old 09-04-2018, 05:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
Originally Posted by Streamliner

Yes that is what the Maybach is, a trim or version of the S-Class, nothing more. It's selling a 1000 times better than it did as stand alone cars with their ridiculous price tags. The Maybachs are longer versions of the S-Class, the LWB S-Class. The S-Class comes in 4 lengths and we get the 2 middle versions, the LWB from Europe which is our standard car and then the Maybach versions. Only the Pullman version is longer. I agree they should offer more customization but they don't cost what a Rolls or Bentley cost either, especially Rolls. They aren't even trying to compete with the best of those cars anymore, that attempt failed. They've carved out the space below it and it's been a huge success. The S Cabriolet hasn't been offered since the 70's so I don't know you think it was easily accomplished. MB not being able to compete is BS, they aren't trying to tackle Rolls and Bentley like that now. Their prices tell the story. How do you know how many people like the S_Class Cabriolet? Based on what? Sales numbers? What?

M
Old 09-04-2018, 05:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by Chucky3000
Reasonable argument but a few points to note.

1) They did offer from 2004 and on (forgot when they ceased) - a Maybach in it's own right. 57 and 62. They lost money on everyone they sold. The cost was 100k to 200k more than the current Maybach S600. (150 to 250k more than an S560 Maybach). It was very customizable - two tone paint - could have the interior rear cabin cordoned off from the front. Could have special woods put in, etc. It didn't sell well, or enough to warrant continuing it.

2) The price of these Maybachs (not to repeat) are significantly less than the pre-era Maybachs. For that money - they had to streamline it. Had to be done on assembly line with others. Otherwise it would likely not meet their budget to get the car to market at the prices given. $165k for an S560 Maybach is pretty darn amazing actually. It offers the executive the ability to have a very comfortable roomy S560 4matic - with all the comforts of a larger space for 30K more than a fully loaded S560 (135k). I think that's one hell of a good sales pitch. Do you remember when Mercedes imported S600s? They were $168k. So again, for 30k more - you could get a S600 maybach. Brilliant to offer it at the price they are. Don't have any idea of their sales records but if it is NOT selling - it is not the price point.

3) You mentioned above about it being more appropriately labeled an S Class LWB. However, they make the S Class in SWB and LWB. America just gets the LWB. So it would technically be a LWB+ by your definition - but the car's rear interior surely gives it more than just an LWB feel. It's a distinct length when you compare it to other luxury cars that offer SWB and LWB (A8 vs A8L 750i vs 750Li XJ8 vs XJ8L).

Of course I know of those earlier cars. The problem, at least in my eyes, is that they were bulbous and UGLY compared to offerings from Rolls & Bentley. Many wealthy folks, despite what some may say, still have a sense of beauty and elegance. I was no huge fan of the last Phantom, but next to those 57’s & 62’s, they were gorgeous.

I agree about keeping the current Maybach “affordable,” and I know about the W222 SWB & LWB versions in other countries, but if the “Maybach” is nothing more that a stretched W222 LWB, it should be called the S560L or S600L. It may be a nice car, as all W222’s are, but the bottom line is that there is virtually nothing different enough or special enough about it, to deserve a different name.

Nice Ride (09-05-2018)
Old 09-05-2018, 09:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 244 Likes on 196 Posts
2014 S550 AMG, 2017 XT5
Originally Posted by Mitch Alsup
So, if I read this right, the only rational for the Maybach is the ability to get the V12 engine that is toned down unlike the S65?
Oh and Speaker Spinners in the rear doors as well and lets not forget the additional room. That's about it....
Old 09-05-2018, 09:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I would imagine that the Maybachs are a hot item with upscale livery companies in the Big Apple, not to mention well heeled Wall Street types.
Old 09-05-2018, 10:55 PM

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
2012 S63, 2013 E350 Bluetec
Another thing about the Maybach 57 and 62 . . . in addition to being ugly as mentioned by Streamliner, they seemed to really push the two-tone paint schemes, which in my opinion were not good. I remember seeing some in what I would call Brewster Green and some kind of beige. Awful looking. In addition, they didn't offer even the technology being offered in the then-current S class. The only wood you could get the first year was a horrible looking almost bright red cherry wood. Then came the 57S and 62S trying to boost sales by adding what I don't know to give it a more sporty look/feel. Hard to figure. Yes, some of the 62's were equipped with the divider window, a la some stretched Lincoln Town Car limousine or a throw back to the Cadillac Fleetwood 75's. Truly awful cars with out of this world high prices.
Old 09-06-2018, 06:21 PM

I sat in an S560 Maybach last night at Ray Catena, If it were a few inches longer - I think it would sell better. Im 5ft 10 and I could use 2 or 3 more inches for my legs not to come near the seat in front of me. I had to push it forward all the way - rendering it useless for front passenger. I think if the back seat were a touch longer - you'd be able to have a true 4 seater.

I do agree though with Streamliner re: the customizable ability. (For an extra charge). They could experiment with what Porsche does - and charge a supreme premium for it. My 2017 911 4S could have been a $180,000 car with all the options i could have played with (color of stitch - type of wood - name plates - leather here and there and everywhere - etc).
Carfan500 (09-09-2018)
Old 09-06-2018, 09:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
Sell better? Is there any indication that it isn't selling or selling well? Clearly it's selling great in other markets.

M
Old 09-06-2018, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Germancar1
Sell better? Is there any indication that it isn't selling or selling well? Clearly it's selling great in other markets.

M
Instead of saying "sell better" - I'll amend it to "have more bang for the buck" or "make even more sense" or "Sell even better" (not to impune their current sales). I personally think if there were just a couple inches more room in the back - it would have been "even" better.
Old 09-09-2018, 09:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 543 Likes on 299 Posts
18 AMG GTC and 22 F150 Limited. Past owner 16 Maybach, 17 Brabus Smartcar, 06 Ford E150, and 22 G70
Think what some people don’t realize is that the Maybach brand is re establishing itself and likely will offer increasingly more exotic choices. Take a look at the suv Model they say they are bringing out or that limited maybach convertible from last year. With all that said it is actually an s class, but having one that extra eight inches makes for a nice back seat.

Katie
Old 09-09-2018, 09:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 490 Likes on 341 Posts
2019 S560, 2022 Audi S8
Originally Posted by Katie22
Think what some people don’t realize is that the Maybach brand is re establishing itself and likely will offer increasingly more exotic choices. Take a look at the suv Model they say they are bringing out or that limited maybach convertible from last year. With all that said it is actually an s class, but having one that extra eight inches makes for a nice back seat.

Katie
I would rather see the extra 8" used to expand the trunk than rear legroom. Regardless, you have a nice vehicle. The day I bought my car there was a Maybach on the showroom floor that same day and I nearly opted for it.
Old 09-10-2018, 05:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 543 Likes on 299 Posts
18 AMG GTC and 22 F150 Limited. Past owner 16 Maybach, 17 Brabus Smartcar, 06 Ford E150, and 22 G70
So yes the trunk is not that big especially if the fridge is in there but thankfully it is easily removable and we have not had any issues with needing extra space. Of course it does help to have the big Ford work van if I we have to haul something around............ With that said you are correct the 16 engine is 100 less hp than the s65 but now its the same for either the 17 or 18 year. And yes as I have said before the Maybach IS an S class like you so pointed out. I actually have seen TWO of the Maybach two door convertibles and I was like wait a min it looks like a s65 with different wheels.................... go figure.