S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Sanity check - S class, acoustic windshield?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 10:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 240 Likes on 201 Posts
A car
Sanity check - S class, acoustic windshield?

A salesperson told me something that I do not believe is true, so thought I would ask here.

I know that all of the glass in a W222 (side windows) and such are dual glazed (e.g. acoustic). The stamp at the bottom of the glass indicates this too.

That said I do not believe the windshield is though (e.g. acoustic windshield). There's nothing referencing that at the bottom of the windshield (stamp). Can anyone confirm if it is, or not?
Old 09-26-2018, 10:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 536 Likes on 372 Posts
2019 S63 4Matic+, 2018 E400 Cabrio, wardens car.
Windshields are different based on DOT regulations here in the states and I am guessing that applies all over the planet. They are typically two sheets of glass laminated with a piece of plastic/vinyl to keep the windshield from shattering from an impact. Biggest thing if buying used is to ensure that the car has OEM glass all around, particularly on the sides as Mercedes OEM has a very specific tint to it.
The following users liked this post:
superangrypenguin (09-26-2018)
Old 09-26-2018, 11:26 AM

Received 308 Likes on 200 Posts
S600
Originally Posted by superpop
Windshields are different based on DOT regulations here in the states and I am guessing that applies all over the planet. They are typically two sheets of glass laminated with a piece of plastic/vinyl to keep the windshield from shattering from an impact. Biggest thing if buying used is to ensure that the car has OEM glass all around, particularly on the sides as Mercedes OEM has a very specific tint to it.
All auto glass is 2 laminated sheets of tempered glass. Tempered glass will shatter into millions of pieces reducing the ability to the glass fragments from doing serious laceration.
BTW the laminate is called Buticite. The Buticite prevents the accident victim from penetrating out of the passenger compartment if unbelted. And it has been this way since the 1940s. The Feds really don't want accident victims flying through breaking panes of glass. Neither do the ambulance medics or the doctors back at the hospital.

Acoustinc glass is simply thicker panes and/or thicker laminate.
Old 09-26-2018, 11:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Originally Posted by Mitch Alsup
All auto glass is 2 laminated sheets of tempered glass. Tempered glass will shatter into millions of pieces reducing the ability to the glass fragments from doing serious laceration.
BTW the laminate is called Buticite. The Buticite prevents the accident victim from penetrating out of the passenger compartment if unbelted. And it has been this way since the 1940s. The Feds really don't want accident victims flying through breaking panes of glass. Neither do the ambulance medics or the doctors back at the hospital.

That's right. Acoustic glass also have an acoustic film in between the panes that is meant to absorb wind noise. If anyone wants to take a photo of their windshield (in the corner) which has the part number and such, if it is an acoustic windshield, it will say the word "acoustic" on it. Not sure if anyone wants to do me a favour though!

Interestingly enough the acoustic comfort package gives an acoustic windshield to the E class (as well as acoustic side glass). I have no idea what the S is like though.
Old 09-26-2018, 04:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Interesting. The E is confirmed to have an acoustic windshield (When fitted with the acoustic comfort package), but I don't see anything here that indicates it is for the S class. Yes, this photo was taken for the S class windshield. (W222)

Last edited by superangrypenguin; 09-26-2018 at 04:45 PM.
Old 09-26-2018, 05:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
Originally Posted by Mitch Alsup

The front glass, yes, but normally side windows are single layer unless acoustic glass is spec'd. We replace the single glass with the dual on the C classes with wind noise. I've seen the single glass panels get dropped and shatter, I can assure you there is nothing in there to keep them from ending up in a million pieces. Seen it happen with impact to sunroofs and rear windows as well, turns into tiny bits due to tempering.
Old 09-29-2018, 12:48 AM

Received 168 Likes on 123 Posts
63 Falcon vert
Don't think for a minute laminated front glass cant shower the impact area with glass. At 60 mph, a turkey hit the passenger side front glass. Except for a half inch hole at the impact center, the windshield basically held together. However, hundreds of tiny glass slivers showered the passenger side. Like micro daggers, glass stuck in the dash and covered the seat. Luckily no one was with me or it would have been emergency room eye doc for sure. Vehicle was a late model Chevy suburban not a Mercedes.
Old 01-28-2021, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'19 E450 Wagon (Selenite Grey & designo macchiato nappa and '15 E350 Wagon Silver w/ Black MBtex
What does the E Class Acoustic Windshield have to indicate acoustic glass?

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Interesting. The E is confirmed to have an acoustic windshield (When fitted with the acoustic comfort package), but I don't see anything here that indicates it is for the S class. Yes, this photo was taken for the S class windshield. (W222)
What does the E Class Acoustic Windshield have to indicate acoustic glass? I'm concerned that our dealer replaced the acoustic windshield glass with a standard windshield. It no longer has the purpleish hue/glazing as it did before. Does your E windshield have a specific code? Could you post a pic?
Old 01-28-2021, 03:40 PM

Received 148 Likes on 116 Posts
'94 SL600,'05 SL600,'06 S65,'07 E63,'14 E63S,'09SL600 all sold, ‘15 S65,‘18 E63S,'17 SL65, '17S65Cab
Windshield pictures. The top one is the E63S which has the acoustic package. The bottom one is the S65 which has every package offered by MB.

Old 01-29-2021, 09:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,439 Likes on 952 Posts
No more MB:(
Is anyone able to decipher what all these numbers and letters mean? Never even gave it consideration, quite interesting.
Old 01-29-2021, 05:56 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
2014 S550 4matic, 2014 Corvette, 2016 Camaro SS 2011 Lexus RX350
From the press info release last Sept FYI
The S-Class has green-tinted thermal insulation glass as standard. The windscreen is made of laminated safety glass with an integral acoustic membrane, while the side windows and rear window are of single-pane safety glass. Laminated safety glass all-round is available as an option. This insulates against heat and noise, and reflects infrared radiation.
Old 01-30-2021, 01:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,404 Likes on 1,540 Posts
2020 S560 4Matic
All S Classes in the US anyways have laminated acoustic glass all around.