The long wait is over

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 05:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 292 Likes on 203 Posts
2022 EQS580
The long wait is over

Well folks, I finally picked up my 2019 S450 yesterday. I have not had a chance to play around and learn all the features yet, but my first impression is that this car is awesome. There is SO MUCH to learn. For example, it took me "forever" to figure out how to activate Apple Car Play. I finally figured out that the USB cable needs to be plugged into the second port from the left and not the first. I love the upgraded Distrinic Driver Assistance package. One of the amazing things about it is that the car automatically slows down when you are about to enter a roundabout. I even like the fact that the car slows down by itself when one is about to make a turn and the turn signal is initiated. The car is very quiet and extremely comfortable. I was hoping that my car would be equipped with Bridgestone Turanza RFT's and I got my wish. I honestly think that these tires are more comfortable that the previous RFT Turanzas I had on the 2014 S550. Maybe the suspension is improved on this car and that's why I don't seem to feel the bumps on the road as much. I'm also pleasantly surprised that the trunk space seems to be just as big as the S550. I thought I was going to lose the opening in the rear of the trunk but it's there. In fact, the space seems like it's a couple inches wider from bottom to top.

The HUD may not be the best display in any car, but it is still very nice and useful. I always have it turned on. I'm amazed of the accuracy of the speed limit display on the various roads. I often wonder what the speed limit is on various roads, but I no longer need to worry with this car. I have not had a chance to play around with the Night Vision Assist yet, but I'm hoping it's a bit of an upgrade from the 2014.

I need to play around some more with the Dynamic Cruise but from what I experienced so far, I like it a lot. It took me a while to learn how to use it. I kept pushing the "speed set" toggle on the steering wheel after coming to a complete stop instead of the "resume" toggle. The tiny touch pads on either side of the steering wheel are pretty easy to use and I like them.

As far as the 3.0 liter by-turbo engine is concerned, as I had suspected, it has more than enough power for me and it is very quiet. I'm being careful not to accelerate very fast during the break-in period (1,000 miles). I will have more to say and hopefully show a few photos in several days. It has been raining here off and on since I picked up the car around Noon yesterday. It's a shame that the car got a little dirty because of the rainy weather right after I picked it up.
The following 3 users liked this post by AppleFan1:
mikey94025 (09-29-2018), stever500 (09-30-2018), superangrypenguin (09-30-2018)
Old 09-29-2018, 06:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 Maybach s600
Originally Posted by BeanTrader
Well folks, I finally picked up my 2019 S450 yesterday. I have not had a chance to play around and learn all the features yet, but my first impression is that this car is awesome. There is SO MUCH to learn. For example, it took me "forever" to figure out how to activate Apple Car Play. I finally figured out that the USB cable needs to be plugged into the second port from the left and not the first. I love the upgraded Distrinic Driver Assistance package. One of the amazing things about it is that the car automatically slows down when you are about to enter a roundabout. I even like the fact that the car slows down by itself when one is about to make a turn and the turn signal is initiated. The car is very quiet and extremely comfortable. I was hoping that my car would be equipped with Bridgestone Turanza RFT's and I got my wish. I honestly think that these tires are more comfortable that the previous RFT Turanzas I had on the 2014 S550. Maybe the suspension is improved on this car and that's why I don't seem to feel the bumps on the road as much. I'm also pleasantly surprised that the trunk space seems to be just as big as the S550. I thought I was going to lose the opening in the rear of the trunk but it's there. In fact, the space seems like it's a couple inches wider from bottom to top.

The HUD may not be the best display in any car, but it is still very nice and useful. I always have it turned on. I'm amazed of the accuracy of the speed limit display on the various roads. I often wonder what the speed limit is on various roads, but I no longer need to worry with this car. I have not had a chance to play around with the Night Vision Assist yet, but I'm hoping it's a bit of an upgrade from the 2014.

I need to play around some more with the Dynamic Cruise but from what I experienced so far, I like it a lot. It took me a while to learn how to use it. I kept pushing the "speed set" toggle on the steering wheel after coming to a complete stop instead of the "resume" toggle. The tiny touch pads on either side of the steering wheel are pretty easy to use and I like them.

As far as the 3.0 liter by-turbo engine is concerned, as I had suspected, it has more than enough power for me and it is very quiet. I'm being careful not to accelerate very fast during the break-in period (1,000 miles). I will have more to say and hopefully show a few photos in several days. It has been raining here off and on since I picked up the car around Noon yesterday. It's a shame that the car got a little dirty because of the rainy weather right after I picked it up.
pics or it didn't happen lol congrats on your new car
Old 09-29-2018, 06:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 EQS580
I forgot to mention a couple other important things. I know there are some here that the Burmester audio system (without the 3D) is not that good. I think it's great at least in my car. The sound is rich and can be adjusted to one's desires. When I first turned on the music, I felt like something was missing. After a while a realized that the surround sound was turned off. It made a great improvement when I turned it on. I'm not an audiophile, but I know enough about a good sound to realize that Burmester is damn good.

One feature that bothers me is that there is no way (at least I haven't figured it out if there is) to turn on the surround view camera when parking heading forward. Am I missing something? if not, why is that?

Last edited by AppleFan1; 09-29-2018 at 06:19 PM.
Old 09-30-2018, 02:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 578 Likes on 433 Posts
W212 FL
Congrats, nice to read you're extremely happy with your new car .
For the last part of your message assuming you've a touch screen when you engage in R touch on the screen to change settings , this is what I do to change the view of the car or angle of the vehicle .
Old 09-30-2018, 08:49 AM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2015 S550 Coupe
One feature that bothers me is that there is no way (at least I haven't figured it out if there is) to turn on the surround view camera when parking heading forward. Am I missing something? if not, why is that?
Isn't that what the new Parking button does in the center console? On the older models you had to reach forward and push the Camera button on the dash and to the left of the instrument display. I thought that was why they moved this button to the center console for easier convenience. Surround camera is the best feature for parking (all forms).

Old 09-30-2018, 09:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 241 Likes on 202 Posts
A car
Congratulations BeanTrader! Can you please share the exact name of the run flat tires? There are a few Turanza RFTs and I'd be curious to know which one they are. Thanks!
Old 09-30-2018, 10:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 339 Likes on 212 Posts
S560
Congrats on the new car. One question though- CarPlay isn't wireless? If so-that's a shame for a 2019 car.
Old 09-30-2018, 12:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 286 Posts
EQ
Congrats BeanTrader! I'm looking forward to pictures (including the controversial trunk) and hearing more about your experiences with the car.
Old 09-30-2018, 03:59 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
2018 S450 4Matic, 2010 S550 4Matic(sold), 2012 ML350 4Matic
Looking forward to pictures.
Old 09-30-2018, 04:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 EQS580
Originally Posted by mikey94025
Isn't that what the new Parking button does in the center console? On the older models you had to reach forward and push the Camera button on the dash and to the left of the instrument display. I thought that was why they moved this button to the center console for easier convenience. Surround camera is the best feature for parking (all forms).

I pushed the park assist button this morning, but it does not turn on the surround view when I'm just parking the car myself. The S Class is a big car and I would like to have the option of turning on the surround view cameras when I'm heading forward into a parking slot that is clearly marked and I park it properly between the lines. So far, the only way I found to do this is by stopping for a couple seconds and put the car in reverse and then immediately putting into forward drive. If anyone knows if there is a better way to do this I would love to hear from you.
Old 09-30-2018, 04:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 EQS580
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Congratulations BeanTrader! Can you please share the exact name of the run flat tires? There are a few Turanza RFTs and I'd be curious to know which one they are. Thanks!
They are Bridgestone Turanzas EL400. There is a 02 number to the right of of the EL400 but I doubt that means anything important.
The following users liked this post:
superangrypenguin (09-30-2018)
Old 09-30-2018, 04:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 EQS580
Originally Posted by emilner
Congrats on the new car. One question though- CarPlay isn't wireless? If so-that's a shame for a 2019 car.
Unfortunately, Apple Car Play is not wireless.
Buddyk (10-04-2018)
Old 09-30-2018, 04:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 EQS580
Originally Posted by teksurv
Congrats BeanTrader! I'm looking forward to pictures (including the controversial trunk) and hearing more about your experiences with the car.
I will take pictures either Tuesday or Wednesday when the weather finally clears up. Do you, or anyone else here, know what the easiest way to post photos is? I remember from a few years ago that there was an app for doing so, but I no longer have this app on the iPhone X. Maybe I can find it on the App Store, but I'm not sure.
Old 09-30-2018, 04:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 EQS580
Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but my car does not move forward by itself (within 30 seconds of the stop) after I make a complete stop and Distronic Dynamic Cruise is engaged. Also, those of you who now drive the 2018 or 2019 S Class, are you sure that the car will stop by itself if there is a stationary vehicle ahead? I don't think mine does.
Old 09-30-2018, 05:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 Maybach s600
I pushed the park assist button this morning, but it does not turn on the surround view when I'm just parking the car myself. The S Class is a big car and I would like to have the option of turning on the surround view cameras when I'm heading forward into a parking slot that is clearly marked and I park it properly between the lines. So far, the only way I found to do this is by stopping for a couple seconds and put the car in reverse and then immediately putting into forward drive. If anyone knows if there is a better way to do this I would love to hear from you.
I'm not sure if midcity engineering makes the 360 camera on demand for the new model yet you should call and ask I just got it for my 2016 s600 Maybach my car is very big and it's so much easier parking with the cameras
Old 09-30-2018, 06:13 PM

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
2018 S450
Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but my car does not move forward by itself (within 30 seconds of the stop) after I make a complete stop and Distronic Dynamic Cruise is engaged. Also, those of you who now drive the 2018 or 2019 S Class, are you sure that the car will stop by itself if there is a stationary vehicle ahead? I don't think mine does.
Yes, it should stop and restart if less than 30 seconds. Just returned from Bay Area last week and this feature is a game changer! I was in stop and go traffic on the freeway for maybe 20 miles and never had to touch either the brake or gas pedal. It took me a while to trust this but it works great!
Old 09-30-2018, 08:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 EQS580
Originally Posted by MikeAtLincoln
Yes, it should stop and restart if less than 30 seconds. Just returned from Bay Area last week and this feature is a game changer! I was in stop and go traffic on the freeway for maybe 20 miles and never had to touch either the brake or gas pedal. It took me a while to trust this but it works great!
Thanks. I'll have to test this again. What about if a stationary vehicle is stopped at a red light? Shouldn't my car stop by itself without colliding?
Old 09-30-2018, 08:40 PM

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
2018 S450
Thanks. I'll have to test this again. What about if a stationary vehicle is stopped at a red light? Shouldn't my car stop by itself without colliding?
Yes, it will stop. I have done this many times and it works.
Old 10-01-2018, 01:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,446 Likes on 1,961 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Bean,
Congratulations on your new car. Wishing you many thousands of safe, enjoyable, troublefree driving.
I’m so curious about your comment on the “tuck under” trunk space. Which interior did you get? Rear seat options? 4-Matic or Magic Body Control?
Also, regarding the improved ride of the RFT, I would imagine that some of it has to do with the reduced weight of the 450 vs the 550. Anyway, ENJOY!
Old 10-01-2018, 02:08 PM

Received 119 Likes on 68 Posts
‘16 g550; '20 s560; '15 targa4s
press that button ,,, then you’ll see a series of icons pop up on the right side of the screen. use/turn the round controller (in front of the mouse) to highlight the third icon (i think) and click - that will give you the 360d surround view you want.
AppleFan1 (10-01-2018)
Old 10-01-2018, 03:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 EQS580
Originally Posted by Streamliner
Bean,
Congratulations on your new car. Wishing you many thousands of safe, enjoyable, troublefree driving.
I’m so curious about your comment on the “tuck under” trunk space. Which interior did you get? Rear seat options? 4-Matic or Magic Body Control?
Also, regarding the improved ride of the RFT, I would imagine that some of it has to do with the reduced weight of the 450 vs the 550. Anyway, ENJOY!
Thanks for the good wishes, Streamliner. I have the 4-Matic and I also ordered it with the Warmth & Comfort package. That includes the adjustable rear seats.
Old 10-01-2018, 05:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 EQS580
Originally Posted by ajm0623

press that button ,,, then you’ll see a series of icons pop up on the right side of the screen. use/turn the round controller (in front of the mouse) to highlight the third icon (i think) and click - that will give you the 360d surround view you want.
Thank you so much, ajm. That did the trick. It's easy when you know how. The system has several views.
Old 10-01-2018, 11:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,446 Likes on 1,961 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Thanks for the good wishes, Streamliner. I have the 4-Matic and I also ordered it with the Warmth & Comfort package. That includes the adjustable rear seats.
Well, that might narrow it down. The ONLY thing different between my 2015 S550 and my current S560, is that MBC now includes the “curve” function. That is the only thing I can think of that might necessitate additional hardware that might fill up that “tuck under” space in the trunk. The fact that your car does not have MBC, but does have the tuck under space pretty much tells the story.
Old 10-02-2018, 12:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 EQS580
Okay, we will finally see the sun here tomorrow after many days of off and on rain and gloomy weather. I'll go wash the car and then take some photos. However, I need your help. How the hell do I post photos here? I cannot find that app that I use to have?
Old 10-02-2018, 12:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 EQS580
Here's another thing that's a bit concerning with the refreshed S-Class. I don't really feel the nudging by the side bolsters when I make a turn. I remember someone else was complaining about this. So, what's going on with this feature?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The long wait is over