Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans > New S-Class (W222)
S Class -- not just an enlarged C class >

S Class -- not just an enlarged C class

Notices
New S-Class (W222) 2014-Present

S Class -- not just an enlarged C class

 
Old 10-24-2018, 10:16 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
carsnob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 326
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S 600 / '06 911 Porsche C4S cab
S Class -- not just an enlarged C class

While the C class may have a similar appearance on the outside to the S class at first glance, we all know if they are completely different cars. I am amazed at how many people feel that they are getting the same thing in a C class, and spending way less, and they think they're so much smarter in doing so.
I would never drive a C class and I just feel they are so crappy in comparison. To me, Mercedes makes completely different cars and in fact there isn't another Mercedes that can touch the S class by comparison. The finishing, quality, handling, smoothness and more makes it a really special car.
Hard to describe, but I think you all know what I mean. The Porsche Panamera or BMW seven series don't compare imo.
carsnob is offline  
Old 10-24-2018, 10:19 PM
  #2  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,142
Received 154 Likes on 142 Posts
W204
Originally Posted by carsnob View Post
While the C class may have a similar appearance on the outside to the S class at first glance, we all know if they are completely different cars. I am amazed at how many people feel that they are getting the same thing in a C class, and spending way less, and they think they're so much smarter in doing so.
I would never drive a C class and I just feel they are so crappy in comparison. To me, Mercedes makes completely different cars and in fact there isn't another Mercedes that can touch the S class by comparison. The finishing, quality, handling, smoothness and more makes it a really special car.
Hard to describe, but I think you all know what I mean. The Porsche Panamera or BMW seven series don't compare imo.
I don't think anyone has doubted that short of appearance similarities a C rides like an S.
superangrypenguin is offline  
Old 10-24-2018, 10:21 PM
  #3  
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 107
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
BMW 550i (F10)
Same thing with BMW these days as well. Obviously a 3 series is very different than the 5 series which is very different than the 7 series, with 2, 4 and 6 series filling the gap... They do not compare interior-wise either. Same thing on MB...
salamigs is offline  
Old 10-24-2018, 11:33 PM
  #4  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Streamliner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 3,003
Received 461 Likes on 346 Posts
2016 E350 Sedan, 2018 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450
Yes, the C & S Class cars are day and night different. Too bad they had to water down the cachet of the S by making the C & E look like body-doubles. Ive never been thrilled with the exterior design of the W222, especially since I loved the W221. I hope that when the next S Class bows, that it carries a unique design that is stunning, exclusive, elegant and just oozing refinement. Cookie-cutter design is not well suited to an S Class and I hope we never see it again.
Streamliner is offline  
The following 2 users liked this post by Streamliner:
Jason B (10-25-2018), MBS63AMG (10-26-2018)
Old 10-25-2018, 12:05 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
stever500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 413
Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts
18 MB S63, 12 911 Turbo S
I LOVED the C Class I was given as a loaner 2 years ago. I would be happy to own that little white C300 they let me use for a week when my S63 was in the shop (if that's all I could afford).

I had 5 guys in the car and drove 90 minute to Washington DC for dinner and 45 minutes back and no one said it was horrible back there. Great little car but, I do love the S63 much more. Of course.

Grateful I could drive them both. I find the looks of the new S63 to be totally beautiful in person and in pics. I have no issues at all with it's looks compared to the E and C. They all look good to me.


stever500 is offline  
The following users liked this post:
QuadBenz (11-02-2018)
Old 10-25-2018, 12:31 AM
  #6  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Streamliner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 3,003
Received 461 Likes on 346 Posts
2016 E350 Sedan, 2018 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450
Originally Posted by stever500 View Post
I LOVED the C Class I was given as a loaner 2 years ago. I would be happy to own that little white C300 they let me use for a week when my S63 was in the shop (if that's all I could afford).

I had 5 guys in the car and drove 90 minute to Washington DC for dinner and 45 minutes back and no one said it was horrible back there. Great little car but, I do love the S63 much more. Of course.

Grateful I could drive them both. I find the looks of the new S63 to be totally beautiful in person and in pics. I have no issues at all with it's looks compared to the E and C. They all look good to me.
Not me. If all I could afford was something along the lines of a C Class, Id be driving a nice, new Honda Accord.
Streamliner is offline  
Old 10-25-2018, 08:08 AM
  #7  
Super Member
 
Utopia Texas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Brookshire, Texas & Cat Spring, Texas
Posts: 585
Received 108 Likes on 82 Posts
2008 SL550/2017 SL450/1899 Leggett/1919 Model T/1931 Model A/1957 Nash Metropolitan
On my last two regular annual A and B service appointments on my SL I was given C series 4 doors as loaners. Though “OK” to drive I commented to myself both times that if there was not the MB star on the steering wheel there would not be anything admirable about driving the car to tell me it was MB. I still cannot believe MB has the info. screen stuck on the outside of the dash like it was a afterthought. Almost like they gave a 5th. Grader a hot glue gun and a I-pad and said go for it!
Utopia Texas is offline  
The following users liked this post:
raja777m (11-02-2018)
Old 10-25-2018, 08:34 AM
  #8  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,142
Received 154 Likes on 142 Posts
W204
Originally Posted by Utopia Texas View Post
On my last two regular annual A and B service appointments on my SL I was given C series 4 doors as loaners. Though OK to drive I commented to myself both times that if there was not the MB star on the steering wheel there would not be anything admirable about driving the car to tell me it was MB. I still cannot believe MB has the info. screen stuck on the outside of the dash like it was a afterthought. Almost like they gave a 5th. Grader a hot glue gun and a I-pad and said go for it!
Agreed. I will however say that MB either really made the E class too nice, or the S class not as nice as it should be (from an interior standpoint).

superangrypenguin is offline  
Old 10-25-2018, 10:25 AM
  #9  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 712
Received 116 Likes on 102 Posts
2018 E400 Coupe, 2012 SLK350
My first Mercedes was a W204 C class. I loved that car, it was a little tank. The 205 cars I have received as loaners (not well equipped) were nothing special, I agree. As 204 was to 221, 205 is to 222. I agree with Streamliner that the 221 was distinctive and has real presence on the road.
teksurv is offline  
The following users liked this post:
superangrypenguin (10-25-2018)
Old 10-25-2018, 10:32 AM
  #10  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Streamliner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 3,003
Received 461 Likes on 346 Posts
2016 E350 Sedan, 2018 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450
Originally Posted by Utopia Texas View Post
On my last two regular annual A and B service appointments on my SL I was given C series 4 doors as loaners. Though OK to drive I commented to myself both times that if there was not the MB star on the steering wheel there would not be anything admirable about driving the car to tell me it was MB. I still cannot believe MB has the info. screen stuck on the outside of the dash like it was a afterthought. Almost like they gave a 5th. Grader a hot glue gun and a I-pad and said go for it!
The last time they gave me a C Class loaner, I wrote a letter to the GM. I reminded him of all the vehicles I had obtained from them, mostly S & SLs, and that I was very uncomfortable driving the C. He called me, thanked me for my business and told me that from now on, I would always get an E Class or larger loaner, which I have gotten ever since.
Streamliner is offline  
Old 10-25-2018, 04:58 PM
  #11  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
S70Houston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 1,108
Received 74 Likes on 71 Posts
2007 E350; 2011 C300
Originally Posted by Streamliner View Post


The last time they gave me a C Class loaner, I wrote a letter to the GM. I reminded him of all the vehicles I had obtained from them, mostly S & SLs, and that I was very uncomfortable driving the C. He called me, thanked me for my business and told me that from now on, I would always get an E Class or larger loaner, which I have gotten ever since.
SPOILED!!!!!!!
It is a loaner, who cares???? As my dad always said, "Better a bad drive than a good walk".

And I as well agree with Streamliner and apologize to all you W222 Owners, but the W221 looks way better than the W222 ever will, nor does it have some little brothers and sisters.
S70Houston is offline  
The following users liked this post:
MBS63AMG (10-26-2018)
Old 10-25-2018, 06:56 PM
  #12  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Streamliner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 3,003
Received 461 Likes on 346 Posts
2016 E350 Sedan, 2018 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450
Originally Posted by S70Houston View Post
SPOILED!!!!!!!
It is a loaner, who cares???? As my dad always said, "Better a bad drive than a good walk".
Well, I don't know how old you are, but when you are used to an S Class, getting in and out of a C Class isn't a lot of fun, especially when you get on in years. In addition, I look at it this way: You bring in a $30,000.00 C Class for service, they loan you a $30,000.00 C Class. Bring in a $120,000.00 S Class and they loan you a $30,000.00 C Class. It just doesn't make sense to me. I paid the big bucks for my great, big, very safe, very comfortable S Class. I shouldn't have to risk my life in an itty-bitty, comparably very uncomfortable C Class, even for a day, if I don't have to. So, to answer your question as to "who cares?" I do.

Last edited by Streamliner; 10-25-2018 at 07:00 PM.
Streamliner is offline  
Old 10-25-2018, 07:10 PM
  #13  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
S70Houston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 1,108
Received 74 Likes on 71 Posts
2007 E350; 2011 C300
Originally Posted by Streamliner View Post
Well, I don't know how old you are, but when you are used to an S Class, getting in and out of a C Class isn't a lot of fun, especially when you get on in years. In addition, I look at it this way: You bring in a $30,000.00 C Class for service, they loan you a $30,000.00 C Class. Bring in a $120,000.00 S Class and they loan you a $30,000.00 C Class. It just doesn't make sense to me. I paid the big bucks for my great, big, very safe, very comfortable S Class. I shouldn't have to risk my life in an itty-bitty, comparably very uncomfortable C Class, even for a day, if I don't have to. So, to answer your question as to "who cares?" I do.

S70Houston is offline  
Old 10-25-2018, 08:44 PM
  #14  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,142
Received 154 Likes on 142 Posts
W204
Originally Posted by Streamliner View Post
Well, I don't know how old you are, but when you are used to an S Class, getting in and out of a C Class isn't a lot of fun, especially when you get on in years. In addition, I look at it this way: You bring in a $30,000.00 C Class for service, they loan you a $30,000.00 C Class. Bring in a $120,000.00 S Class and they loan you a $30,000.00 C Class. It just doesn't make sense to me. I paid the big bucks for my great, big, very safe, very comfortable S Class. I shouldn't have to risk my life in an itty-bitty, comparably very uncomfortable C Class, even for a day, if I don't have to. So, to answer your question as to "who cares?" I do.
Dunno if that's how it works there, but here, if you bring in a C, they give you a B, or worse, a CLA. Actually, I don't know what is worse between a B or a CLA. It's like choosing between Herpes and Gonorrhea. Not that I have experience with either, but I wouldn't want either.

Part of the reason I do my own services, or just take the dealer shuttle with is a R or an S class.
superangrypenguin is offline  
Old 10-25-2018, 09:09 PM
  #15  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 1,747
Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by stever500 View Post
I LOVED the C Class I was given as a loaner 2 years ago. I would be happy to own that little white C300 they let me use for a week when my S63 was in the shop (if that's all I could afford).

I had 5 guys in the car and drove 90 minute to Washington DC for dinner and 45 minutes back and no one said it was horrible back there. Great little car but, I do love the S63 much more. Of course.

Grateful I could drive them both. I find the looks of the new S63 to be totally beautiful in person and in pics. I have no issues at all with it's looks compared to the E and C. They all look good to me.


+1
MBNUT1 is offline  
Old 10-25-2018, 09:11 PM
  #16  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 1,747
Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by Streamliner View Post


Not me. If all I could afford was something along the lines of a C Class, Id be driving a nice, new Honda Accord.

Certainly the Accord is the better value proposition.
MBNUT1 is offline  
Old 10-25-2018, 09:13 PM
  #17  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 1,747
Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by S70Houston View Post
SPOILED!!!!!!!
It is a loaner, who cares???? As my dad always said, "Better a bad drive than a good walk".
Classic
MBNUT1 is offline  
Old 10-25-2018, 10:19 PM
  #18  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Jason B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: USA
Posts: 3,349
Received 117 Likes on 97 Posts
W140 Mercedes S350, W221 S550 sport
Originally Posted by teksurv View Post
My first Mercedes was a W204 C class. I loved that car, it was a little tank. The 205 cars I have received as loaners (not well equipped) were nothing special, I agree. As 204 was to 221, 205 is to 222. I agree with Streamliner that the 221 was distinctive and has real presence on the road.
Originally Posted by S70Houston View Post
SPOILED!!!!!!!
It is a loaner, who cares???? As my dad always said, "Better a bad drive than a good walk".

And I as well agree with Streamliner and apologize to all you W222 Owners, but the W221 looks way better than the W222 ever will, nor does it have some little brothers and sisters.
Way to make my older car feel good I agree though. I can't switch, still in love. I've had a new w222 as a loaner too... But when this gets too old hopefully the next model goes back to it's roots a little. Bulk safe on wheels land yacht....
Jason B is offline  
Old 10-25-2018, 10:51 PM
  #19  
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 96
Likes: 0
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Volvo XC90
Originally Posted by carsnob View Post
The Porsche Panamera or BMW seven series don't compare imo.
Yes, in your opinion. I would rather drive the Panny and the 7er
Rockland is offline  
Old 10-26-2018, 08:13 AM
  #20  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
C280 Sport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Saratoga,Springs New York, Sarasota, Florida.
Posts: 2,527
Received 85 Likes on 78 Posts
E,E,CL,C,CLK,ML,S,GLK,others...
Who on earth honestly thinks the S is a larger C? That is a thing?
C280 Sport is online now  
Old 10-26-2018, 08:22 AM
  #21  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 418
Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts
2017 S63 AMG, 2016 E350
Originally Posted by stever500 View Post
I LOVED the C Class I was given as a loaner 2 years ago. I would be happy to own that little white C300 they let me use for a week when my S63 was in the shop (if that's all I could afford).

I had 5 guys in the car and drove 90 minute to Washington DC for dinner and 45 minutes back and no one said it was horrible back there. Great little car but, I do love the S63 much more. Of course.

Grateful I could drive them both. I find the looks of the new S63 to be totally beautiful in person and in pics. I have no issues at all with it's looks compared to the E and C. They all look good to me.


Nice looking vehicle you got there!
MBS63AMG is offline  
Old 10-27-2018, 03:10 AM
  #22  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
BenzV12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 2,741
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
2017 BMW G30 530i XDrive
S Class is a different car the best car in its class to me besides similarities between C And S Class is acceptable .One thing in W205 is better than W222 is the former's taillights , the latter's look smaller . W205 and W213 is almost same to the flanks which I never like . I would prefer W205 over W213 design wise too .
BenzV12 is offline  
Old 11-02-2018, 01:20 PM
  #23  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 1,022
Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts
2014 E350 4M Diamond Silver
Originally Posted by Utopia Texas View Post
On my last two regular annual A and B service appointments on my SL I was given C series 4 doors as loaners. Though OK to drive I commented to myself both times that if there was not the MB star on the steering wheel there would not be anything admirable about driving the car to tell me it was MB. I still cannot believe MB has the info. screen stuck on the outside of the dash like it was a afterthought. Almost like they gave a 5th. Grader a hot glue gun and a I-pad and said go for it!
same with GLA250 as a loaner, shell out money just for the cheap interior with Mercedes logo on it. C-class is better than GLA.!
raja777m is online now  
 

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: S Class -- not just an enlarged C class


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: