S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Buying Recommendations

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 11:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lexus LS460
Buying Recommendations

Any particular model years to avoid? Do the 2014's have more issues? Any advice would be highly appreciated.
Old 02-27-2019, 12:49 PM

Received 166 Likes on 113 Posts
2014 E350 Sport (sold), 2015 S550 Sport (sold), 2018 S560 Sport (sold), 2018 GLE43, 2014 E550
Originally Posted by RussT
Any particular model years to avoid? Do the 2014's have more issues? Any advice would be highly appreciated.
Not really from what I have seen or read. If you are going 2018+ MY you will get a better transmission at all levels. If you go S560 you'll get a nice power boost over the S550 (for me, S450 is not an option). You'll also be spending a lot more money. Your biggest task at this point is reading up on what options exist and then finding one to your suiting. I for one would not skip out on any of the rear seat upgrade packages, at least get the power seats if you are ever toting folks around. All depends what your price range is. You can get a low mileage 2015-2016 with some great options for 50-60K, just do your research so you know what you are buying.
The following users liked this post:
RussT (02-27-2019)
Old 02-27-2019, 02:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 182 Likes on 152 Posts
s550 Diamond white amg pano
Like any, the more warty the better. But no real issues on the 14's either.
RussT (02-27-2019)
Old 02-27-2019, 08:05 PM

Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
2019 S65 Coupe, 2017 S650 Maybach Convertible, 2020 S560 Sedan, 2022 Porsche 911 Turbo S
2014 was the first year for the W222. As a rule of thumb, first year cars are the most problematic. Probably less of an issue if you are leasing them brand new. But I would avoid a 1st year car if buying used and planning on keeping it. I'd skip the 2014s and look at 2015s or 2016s. At least they have been somewhat debugged.
Old 02-27-2019, 08:44 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by amir1
2014 was the first year for the W222. As a rule of thumb, first year cars are the most problematic. Probably less of an issue if you are leasing them brand new. But I would avoid a 1st year car if buying used and planning on keeping it. I'd skip the 2014s and look at 2015s or 2016s. At least they have been somewhat debugged.
The rule of thumb is not relevant as we have lots of real life data to go back on
The verdict on the 2014 is in as already mentioned...
Old 02-28-2019, 08:46 AM

Lexus LS460
What are some of the common issues?
Old 02-28-2019, 08:50 AM

Lexus LS460
Originally Posted by amir1
That's a great point! I'm not a fan of these wheels on the MY 2014 either. Where the AMG multi spoke wheels an option? Why are there many different types of wheels?

Old 02-28-2019, 11:46 AM

Received 188 Likes on 134 Posts
2016 S550 sport, 2018 GLC300, M3, Zo7, 2021 Sierra Denali
Don't let rims make your decision. The 20" multi spoke AMG rims are 1K brand new aftermarket on eBay. Buy a quality car, with service records and the options you demand. Rims/tires are an easy fix after the fact. I was so annoyed they put brand new Goodyear RF's on my car just before I purchased. I usually put Michelins on immediately but these are brand new. I was surprised my service advisor told me he sells tons of them every week! (Goodyear RF). I guess many want to stay stock or not buy 4 expensive tires in one shot. I don't like the ride at all.

Last edited by seamus2154; 02-28-2019 at 01:24 PM.
RussT (02-28-2019)
Old 02-28-2019, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator

That's a great point! I'm not a fan of these wheels on the MY 2014 either. Where the AMG multi spoke wheels an option? Why are there many different types of wheels?

The 20" AMG multi-spokes were an option, but not on this car. They were an upgrade option to the Sport package which included the 19" AMG wheels by default. I recommend looking at both exterior body styles and see which one you like. Used, the $6k+ option is more or less a freebee.
Old 02-28-2019, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by seamus2154
Don't let rims make your decision. The 20" multi spoke AMG rims are 1K brand new aftermarket on eBay. By a quality car, with service records and the options you demand. Rims/tires are an easy fix after the fact. I was so annoyed they put brand new Goodyear RF's on my car just before I purchased. I usually put Michelins on immediately but these are brand new. I was surprised my service advisor told me he sells tons of them every week! (Goodyear RF). I guess many want to stay stock or not buy 4 expensive tires in one shot. I don't like the ride at all.
I agree but you can't buy these for 1k. All those are fakes. I have seen some for $2k used with curb rash
Old 02-28-2019, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Wolfman
I agree but you can't buy these for 1k. All those are fakes. I have seen some for $2k used with curb rash
Many years ago fakes were taboo and poor quality. Not the case today. With everyone cracking MB rims I cant see any reason for stock OEM rims. I just bought a new Denali with 20" rims. I wanted 22" so I took these off to sell. GM- brand new rims--------made in china stamped on the spoke! I was taken back myself. I read an article about 2 yrs ago regarding cast rims. Many countries and manufactures defaulted to China who makes most of these rims today. I bought aftermarket replicas for my last S550 and quality was impressive. Not one issue with them. Things have changed, I wouldn't hesitate to buy aftermarket today. Forged rims is another story. But we all do what we are comfortable with.
Old 02-28-2019, 02:18 PM

Lexus LS460
So the standard wheel size is 19? I've seen the AMG Multi-spoke wheels in both 19 and 20 inches. I'd prefer the 19 for a better ride. Do these different wheels come with option packages?

Last edited by RussT; 02-28-2019 at 02:24 PM.
Old 02-28-2019, 02:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I had the 19" amg and swapped to aftermkt 20" amg look. Also took off the runcraps and went w a spare in the trunk. The 20" reps are made great and have no issues, nor with my last s550 that also had 20" reps for 3 years. I did bend one but the pothole wasss huge and I cant see any rim not bending on that. 250 later and i just replaced the whole wheel.
Old 02-28-2019, 04:36 PM

Lexus LS460
Originally Posted by 1bad540
I had the 19" amg and swapped to aftermkt 20" amg look. Also took off the runcraps and went w a spare in the trunk. The 20" reps are made great and have no issues, nor with my last s550 that also had 20" reps for 3 years. I did bend one but the pothole wasss huge and I cant see any rim not bending on that. 250 later and i just replaced the whole wheel.
Did you notice any ride quality difference between the 19 inch and 20 inch wheel?
Old 02-28-2019, 07:49 PM

Did you notice any ride quality difference between the 19 inch and 20 inch wheel?
Ride quality is mostly tires. The difference from 18" to 20" is slightly noticeable if you were comparing back to back with the same tire. I went from a 20" to a 22" and my ride improved?? The 20" had Bridgestones and the 22" was Michelin. The Bridgstones were hard terrible tires and the Michelins were very compliant and quiet. It was like a new truck. The sidewall helps slightly but the tire make all the difference. BUT if you live up north and are always getting beat up with bumps and potholes a bigger sidewall is to your advantage. I am staying with the 20" on the S550 but switching to Michelin asap. I cannot believe how hard and non compliant these Goodyear runcraps are. Almost like solid rubber! If I was up north the 20" with these tires would never work out.
Old 03-01-2019, 02:09 PM
Super Moderator

Many years ago fakes were taboo and poor quality. Not the case today. With everyone cracking MB rims I cant see any reason for stock OEM rims. I just bought a new Denali with 20" rims. I wanted 22" so I took these off to sell. GM- brand new rims--------made in china stamped on the spoke! I was taken back myself. I read an article about 2 yrs ago regarding cast rims. Many countries and manufactures defaulted to China who makes most of these rims today. I bought aftermarket replicas for my last S550 and quality was impressive. Not one issue with them. Things have changed, I wouldn't hesitate to buy aftermarket today. Forged rims is another story. But we all do what we are comfortable with.
My point was not about the quality of fakes but that you referred to them as brand-new aftermarket take-offs.

Not the same thing.

Also, the manufacturing country has little to do with the quality of a product. For example, the S-class AMG forged wheels are made in Taiwan.
Still world-class quality. But there are Chinese wheels on the market I wouldn’t wish on my worst enemy.

The issue in the US is the lack of any testing/certifing organization so it’s hard to know which ones are made well. Germany has TUV certification which provides some peace of mind.

Coming from our Germany driving I will never compromise on brakes, wheels and tires...
Old 03-01-2019, 07:36 PM

My point was not about the quality of fakes but that you referred to them as brand-new aftermarket take-offs.

Not the same thing.

Also, the manufacturing country has little to do with the quality of a product. For example, the S-class AMG forged wheels are made in Taiwan.
Still world-class quality. But there are Chinese wheels on the market I wouldn’t wish on my worst enemy.

The issue in the US is the lack of any testing/certifing organization so it’s hard to know which ones are made well. Germany has TUV certification which provides some peace of mind.

Coming from our Germany driving I will never compromise on brakes, wheels and tires...
Nowhere in post #8 did I state "takeoffs"?? It clearly states brand new aftermarket rims. ?? So there is no real point that you are making? There are stock OEM rims......which I did not reference....then there are aftermarket rims.....which you made clear are fakes which is the point you seemed to want to make which is obvious. Aftermarket is a product and if copying a stock rim it would be a replica....which is NOT OEM....which you call fake....which is technically correct. When someone states "takeoffs" it usually means taken off a stock vehicle and are stock OEM rims. BUT I never said ANYTHING about "takeoffs"....and was clearly making reference to replicas in my post. You seemed to have misread it??

I am sure there are bad and good companies in China just as in America. But quality is much improved today than years ago. The MB rims of today do not impress me at all and have seen many broken and cracked. Years ago a MB AMG rim was great quality and had good value. Today not so much, so not impressed with the TUV certification. Forged is another league.
Old 03-01-2019, 10:25 PM
Super Moderator

Nowhere in post #8 did I state "takeoffs"?? It clearly states brand new aftermarket rims. ?? So there is no real point that you are making? There are stock OEM rims......which I did not reference....then there are aftermarket rims.....which you made clear are fakes which is the point you seemed to want to make which is obvious. Aftermarket is a product and if copying a stock rim it would be a replica....which is NOT OEM....which you call fake....which is technically correct. When someone states "takeoffs" it usually means taken off a stock vehicle and are stock OEM rims. BUT I never said ANYTHING about "takeoffs"....and was clearly making reference to replicas in my post. You seemed to have misread it??

I am sure there are bad and good companies in China just as in America. But quality is much improved today than years ago. The MB rims of today do not impress me at all and have seen many broken and cracked. Years ago a MB AMG rim was great quality and had good value. Today not so much, so not impressed with the TUV certification. Forged is another league.
My bad, I must have somehow misread it!
To me, fakes are wheels that are typically AMG branded with wrong offsets that look identical or similar. The usual Ebay fodder often sold as OEM or AMG Style and worst, as original AMG. Those are always cast and wheels I would stay from. This is my personal choice.
There are many good 3rd party wheels (aftermarket) which have good quality and are made by reputable large volume manufacturers. The problem with most wheels is they are virtually never have the right offsets as MB uses very high offsets these days. That can make for a funky looking stance or cause issues with inner liner rubbing or brake clearance issues if larger brakes are on the car.

That said, MB rims have not changed negatively in quality from previous years and are being manufactured by the same manufacturers (W221 vs W222). If anything they have improved by quite a bit. But cars look different these days. More AWD, larger wheel diameters, more run flats or low profile tires, changed tire pressure and sportier and lower suspension setups.
TUV might not be perfect but it is better than nothing, which is what you have in the US market.
Old 03-02-2019, 09:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

19's had runcraps my 20's are on conti dws non runflats. feels great.
Old 03-02-2019, 09:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

My bad, I must have somehow misread it!
To me, fakes are wheels that are typically AMG branded with wrong offsets that look identical or similar. The usual Ebay fodder often sold as OEM or AMG Style and worst, as original AMG. Those are always cast and wheels I would stay from. This is my personal choice.
There are many good 3rd party wheels (aftermarket) which have good quality and are made by reputable large volume manufacturers. The problem with most wheels is they are virtually never have the right offsets as MB uses very high offsets these days. That can make for a funky looking stance or cause issues with inner liner rubbing or brake clearance issues if larger brakes are on the car.

That said, MB rims have not changed negatively in quality from previous years and are being manufactured by the same manufacturers (W221 vs W222). If anything they have improved by quite a bit. But cars look different these days. More AWD, larger wheel diameters, more run flats or low profile tires, changed tire pressure and sportier and lower suspension setups.
TUV might not be perfect but it is better than nothing, which is what you have in the US market.
Ive bought reps that were tuv certifed...now I cant remeber which ones..lol funny I had a set of what i thought were oems on an e53 x5 years ago. As i sold the truck I was going to list the 20" wheels seperate, I started examing the wheels and realized the stampings were all there but instead of"BMW' they were stamped "bwm"...and when i was mounting tires I had asked the wheel place...well known btw if these were oe and they guy said yea the reps dont have those stampings...