Performance Upgrades & Tuning Discuss general performance and tuning enhancements for your Mercedes-Benz.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

Brake bed-in on a highway in DC area?

Old 03-08-2005, 05:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Question Brake bed-in on a highway in DC area?

A weird request: I am about to install new brake rotors and pads. Obviously, they need to be properly bedded in. This involves a series of high-speed accelerations/slowdowns, which may not be feasible on a public highway - at least around Fairfax (where I live), the area that is infested with cops who will most certainly not appreciate it if they see me do that.

Does anyone know if there are any roads more or less suitable for that in DC area?

Last edited by vadim; 03-08-2005 at 05:47 AM.
Old 03-08-2005, 01:46 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
I feel sorry for you Vadim. I used to work in Reston and recieved several tickets for speeding on Dulles Toll Road. I was also wrongfully locked up once but thats a long story. I HATE FAIRFAX COUNTY POLICE! Now that I got that out the way, I know there are many backroads in MD that could possibly be used for this. I suggest picking a backroad with very little traffic and have people scope out the area before you speed. I suggest MD because if you do get caught, the penalty is much less severe than fairfax county (usually the points dont even transfer!). 80 in a 55 in fairfax county is reckless driving which carries a maximum fine of $2500, 1 yr suspension of license, and a year in prison (I know cuz I faced it, thank God I had a lawyer). Anyways, I can help scope out the area that you choose if you want.
Old 03-08-2005, 02:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Originally Posted by blackbenzz
I feel sorry for you Vadim. I used to work in Reston and recieved several tickets for speeding on Dulles Toll Road. I was also wrongfully locked up once but thats a long story. I HATE FAIRFAX COUNTY POLICE! Now that I got that out the way, I know there are many backroads in MD that could possibly be used for this. I suggest picking a backroad with very little traffic and have people scope out the area before you speed. I suggest MD because if you do get caught, the penalty is much less severe than fairfax county (usually the points dont even transfer!). 80 in a 55 in fairfax county is reckless driving which carries a maximum fine of $2500, 1 yr suspension of license, and a year in prison (I know cuz I faced it, thank God I had a lawyer). Anyways, I can help scope out the area that you choose if you want.
Thanks for your kind offer! I would certainly try to do it on a backroad, the problem is - I don't want to run into a cop trap or a slow-moving line of cars, as often happens on many 2-lane roads - then you have to start all over again. So I thought maybe someone knew of a road that is not too busy and straight enough for the task.
Old 03-08-2005, 02:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'99 C43 AMG
Are you trying to brake in factory pads and rotors or a big brake kit? With my brembo gt kit there were specific heat cycling instructions you had to follow while breaking them in. If you are just breaking in factory pads and rotors several normal applications will do it, you don't need to go 100 mph and brake as hard as you can. You want to slowly build up the heat with 5-10 sec. application while braking from about 35 mph. Do this about 10 times with 30-45 sec. in between brake applications.
Old 03-08-2005, 02:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Originally Posted by C434ME
Are you trying to brake in factory pads and rotors or a big brake kit? With my brembo gt kit there were specific heat cycling instructions you had to follow while breaking them in. If you are just breaking in factory pads and rotors several normal applications will do it, you don't need to go 100 mph and brake as hard as you can. You want to slowly build up the heat with 5-10 sec. application while braking from about 35 mph. Do this about 10 times with 30-45 sec. in between brake applications.
I am installing StopTech rotors and pads. They do have a recommended way of doing it (nothing unusual), but 100 mph certainly is not required. It is not even the speed that concerns me, but the fact that one has to accelerate/brake many times in succession. Not easy in a densely populated area. There is substantial traffic here even at 1:30 am. And lots of cops on top of that
Old 03-08-2005, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'99 C43 AMG
I hear you Vadim. I live in Loudoun County, we have the same problem. Where are you in Fairfax? I broke mine in on the Loudoun County Parkway going towards Redskins Park on a friday night, no traffic at all. Try Westfields buisness park in Centreville. It loops around in a circle and depending on the
time of day there is little traffic. I'm sure I can think of more places.
Old 03-08-2005, 03:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Originally Posted by C434ME
I hear you Vadim. I live in Loudoun County, we have the same problem. Where are you in Fairfax? I broke mine in on the Loudoun County Parkway going towards Redskins Park on a friday night, no traffic at all. Try Westfields buisness park in Centreville. It loops around in a circle and depending on the
time of day there is little traffic. I'm sure I can think of more places.
I live in Fairfax Villa, near Rt.29 X Rt.50.

Thanks for the tips!!! Exactly what I needed and rather close to home!!
Old 03-24-2005, 12:47 AM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
'05 E320CDI, 1987 300E, Vanagon Syncro, Turbo Arrow III
Originally Posted by vadim
I live in Fairfax Villa, near Rt.29 X Rt.50.

Thanks for the tips!!! Exactly what I needed and rather close to home!!
I used to use Eisenhower Avenue for things like this. There was a piece that was a straight quarter-mile.

I think the Westfields/Chantilly suggestion might be pretty good. There is a lot of open parking lot space there. The Expo Center on an off day might be good too.
Old 03-24-2005, 06:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Thanks!!