Performance Upgrades & Tuning Discuss general performance and tuning enhancements for your Mercedes-Benz.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

Exhaust Muffler Talk....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2005, 09:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'98 C43/55 AMG Speedybenz Susp. & MBenzNL On Board -- '88 560SL -- '09 JCW MINI -- '97 Jeep TJ Sport
Question Exhaust Muffler Talk....

Has anyone used, or know someone that's used the Flowmaster Hushpower II mufflers? Do they like it? Any backpressure measurements?

I'm thinking of a setup such as this on an AMG 5.4L V8 engine:

a) headers
b) X-pipe or H-pipe close to the collectors
c) hi-perf cats (2 or 4 ?)
d) 2 Mufflers or one single 2-chamber muffler -- Magnaflow or Flowmaster (?) -- in place of where the resonators are. (hoping from there to the outlet is under 6', as I read over 6' might need a resonator)
e) dual pipes from there to the tail-pipe.
f) no muffler behind the left rear wheel.

- thinking would do dual 2.5" pipes all the way front to back. However one 3.5" pipe is also an option. I'd read a posting once that someone was recommended doing one 3" pipe by a DTM driver on the 1st-gen CLK55. But from muffler manufacturers, they say use a 3.5" pipe or 2x2.5" for my engine size and power.

(3" area = 7.06 sq.in.)
(3.5" area = 9.6 sq.in.)
(dual 2.5" area = 4.9 sq.in. X 2 = 9.8 sq.in)

- thinking headers. I read speedybenz's posting from a few years back on the importance of some back pressure the first 5 or so feet of the exhaust system, so I'm hoping using headers doesn't work against me. Thoughts?

- probably will do 4 2.5" cats like now to pass inspection, but hi perf cats. (?) Or can do two 3.5" cats (do they exist?). I don't know if it's necessary or if the 2nd set will be effective, as I don't how the stock 1st set is different then the 2nd set, and it can achieve efficiency (enough heat) in the 2nd set of hi-flow / hi-perf cats. Thoughts?

- Muffler: Magnaflow's got their Universal line, XL line ; Flowmaster's got their 30 thru 80 series linesand Hushpower II line.

I'm leaning towards the Hushpower II as it's a deep but soft/muted sound (you can hear the sounds on their website). I would be using two of them where the C43 has the resonators located. Hoping from there to the tailpipe is under 6', as they state over might need a resonator.
Thoughts on the Hushpower II mufflers vs. others?

Does anyone have any experience with the Hushpower II regarding performance / back-pressure? I'm looking for a lot easier flow then the stock C43 cats + resonator + single muffler, but don't want that at the expense of greatly increased exhaust sound.

In hindsight, I should have blew into an exhaust pipe (covering the other inlet) when my engine bay was empty during the swap to see "what flow now".

Thanx for your thoughts,
Steve
Old 06-27-2005, 03:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
muffler

I have never hurd or used the hushpower, but have used the a number of the flow masters. The flow masters sound good at the low to mid RPM, but at the higher RPMs they make you exhaust sound like a jet and don't really sound good in my oppinion. I would recommend magnaflow, dynomax or borla if you are going to build the exhaust system your self. If you are going to use a hi-flow cat i would suggest using a dynatech hi-flow cat that you can buy from summit racing or jegs.
Hope this somewhat helps
Old 06-27-2005, 02:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'98 C43/55 AMG Speedybenz Susp. & MBenzNL On Board -- '88 560SL -- '09 JCW MINI -- '97 Jeep TJ Sport
Originally Posted by jeep2121
I have never hurd or used the hushpower, but have used the a number of the flow masters. The flow masters sound good at the low to mid RPM, but at the higher RPMs they make you exhaust sound like a jet and don't really sound good in my oppinion. I would recommend magnaflow, dynomax or borla if you are going to build the exhaust system your self. If you are going to use a hi-flow cat i would suggest using a dynatech hi-flow cat that you can buy from summit racing or jegs.
Hope this somewhat helps
That helps a great deal! Thank you very much for taking the time.