Performance Upgrades & Tuning Discuss general performance and tuning enhancements for your Mercedes-Benz.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

CLK430 Engine in a CLK320?? etc.. (Long)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2005, 05:06 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 CLK320 / 2003 WRX Wagon
CLK430 Engine in a CLK320?? etc.. (Long)

I have a 1999 CLK320. From time to time you see used engines on Ebay. I have been thinking about getting a used clk320 engine and rebuilding it (saw one (320 engine) on Ebay for 2100 the other day). I could send off the heads to get ported and polished, install cams, headers, get the manifold honed, maybe find a used supercharger etc... and put it in my car. I figure that would take me quite some time and I could save for cams and gaskets etc.. as I go. The time does not bother me that much because I do need to save in between purchases. Also, I don't know of any good shop manuals for rebuilding these engines. I think if I went slow and took lots of pictures I could get it apart and put it back together but I have no idea how I will find the torque specs for the bolts. My friend and myself recently replaced the valve cover gaskets, intake manifold gaskets, water pump, spark plugs, injectors, belts, and cooling channel valley gasket on his BMW 850 but we had some good pictures off the Internet for pointers and most of a vague shop manual. It now runs great and no longer overheats.

When I was taking out my computer to send to powerchips I noticed that the instructions are the same for a 320 as they are for a 430 and the computer looks identical. I doubt that the transmissions would mount up but if I got a clk430 engine and a 430 Ecu is it possible that my wiring harness is going to plug up to a 430 ECU and work? I am 99% sure that the plugs are identical and this would probably be easier than the 320 idea and would probably have more HP than my final product 320 engine. Although a used 430 engine from E-bay will probably need rebuilt too. But that could be even better. This probably will not work because the drive trains are probably different lengths.

Input??
Old 08-06-2005, 05:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
Originally Posted by B-Mac
I have a 1999 CLK320. From time to time you see used engines on Ebay. I have been thinking about getting a used clk320 engine and rebuilding it (saw one (320 engine) on Ebay for 2100 the other day). I could send off the heads to get ported and polished, install cams, headers, get the manifold honed, maybe find a used supercharger etc... and put it in my car. I figure that would take me quite some time and I could save for cams and gaskets etc.. as I go. The time does not bother me that much because I do need to save in between purchases. Also, I don't know of any good shop manuals for rebuilding these engines. I think if I went slow and took lots of pictures I could get it apart and put it back together but I have no idea how I will find the torque specs for the bolts. My friend and myself recently replaced the valve cover gaskets, intake manifold gaskets, water pump, spark plugs, injectors, belts, and cooling channel valley gasket on his BMW 850 but we had some good pictures off the Internet for pointers and most of a vague shop manual. It now runs great and no longer overheats.

When I was taking out my computer to send to powerchips I noticed that the instructions are the same for a 320 as they are for a 430 and the computer looks identical. I doubt that the transmissions would mount up but if I got a clk430 engine and a 430 Ecu is it possible that my wiring harness is going to plug up to a 430 ECU and work? I am 99% sure that the plugs are identical and this would probably be easier than the 320 idea and would probably have more HP than my final product 320 engine. Although a used 430 engine from E-bay will probably need rebuilt too. But that could be even better. This probably will not work because the drive trains are probably different lengths.

Input??
The ECU is already married to the car so you would need it to be reprogrammed by someone who knows how(which I know )
or just buy another ECU.The other thing you would have to get is the V8 engine harness to make the V8 wrk.The transmission may or may not wrk but I'm not 100% SURE.The drivetrain lengths would not have to be changed at all.
Old 08-06-2005, 10:21 PM
Almost a Member!

So with a 430 ECU and engine with wiring harness it should bolt up and all of my electronics work???? Thats what it sounds like to me. The engine should come with a wiring harness. I guess I was getting confused in that the plugs are the same on both computers so I thought maybe the wiring harness were very similar but I guess that the difference between 8 cylinders being controlled and 6 is quite different.I think I was also thinking incorrectly about these plugson my 320 enigne. Once the enigne is remvoed those plugs are removed with the engine correct?

I like the sounds of the drive shaft etc.. being the same as the 320 has a more aggresive rearend diffferential.
Old 08-07-2005, 01:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

So with a 430 ECU and engine with wiring harness it should bolt up and all of my electronics work???? Thats what it sounds like to me. The engine should come with a wiring harness. I guess I was getting confused in that the plugs are the same on both computers so I thought maybe the wiring harness were very similar but I guess that the difference between 8 cylinders being controlled and 6 is quite different.I think I was also thinking incorrectly about these plugson my 320 enigne. Once the enigne is remvoed those plugs are removed with the engine correct?

I like the sounds of the drive shaft etc.. being the same as the 320 has a more aggresive rearend diffferential.
Some of the ECU's are all the same and get programmed by the Star Diagnostics.The ECU can have files for the 430 or 320.You pull the file you want out of the ECU itself and program it with the STARDIAG.Just like how I have an AMG ECU that has the files for a C43 and an E55.I'm not 100% sure but the engine harness may be the only harness that's different.The rest may be the same.I would not be surprised.
Old 08-07-2005, 08:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
300ce
............the problem here is that you may end up spending a lot of money on this. As a rule, engine work on these Mb's end up costing about 1.5 times of the given estimate. You may actually save a lot by selling ypur CLK privately and buying a CLK 430. Since you are not in a rush, you will have time to find a good deal. Even if you trade in your CLK 320 and purchase a 430, you will probably come out ahead.

Ted
Old 08-07-2005, 09:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Ted Baldwin
............the problem here is that you may end up spending a lot of money on this. As a rule, engine work on these Mb's end up costing about 1.5 times of the given estimate. You may actually save a lot by selling ypur CLK privately and buying a CLK 430. Since you are not in a rush, you will have time to find a good deal. Even if you trade in your CLK 320 and purchase a 430, you will probably come out ahead.

Ted
Selling the 320 and buying the 430 would indeed probably be the best way to go! Don't trade it in!You'll lose.In the long run it's probably better to purchase a 430.
Old 08-07-2005, 01:08 PM
Almost a Member!

You are all correct. I probably should just keep saving and keep my eye out. 2001 Clk55's are around 31,000. Being the only one to drive my car sure is nice though because I know that it has been taken care of.

What about the used clk320 engine idea? I can probably get help from some friends and rebuild it myself. If I get the engine for 2100, I would think that with another 3000-4000 I could make it pretty nice. It can't be too hard to pull the engine out of the car. I have seen some of the people that work on these cars. With cams, full exhaust, possibly honed intake, and proper engine tuning what do you think a 320 engine will put out? Plus I would learn how to disassemble the engine, and hopefully reassemble. Might be more of an undertaking than I am thinking, especially with no shop manual or torque specs.
Old 08-07-2005, 06:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You are all correct. I probably should just keep saving and keep my eye out. 2001 Clk55's are around 31,000. Being the only one to drive my car sure is nice though because I know that it has been taken care of.

What about the used clk320 engine idea? I can probably get help from some friends and rebuild it myself. If I get the engine for 2100, I would think that with another 3000-4000 I could make it pretty nice. It can't be too hard to pull the engine out of the car. I have seen some of the people that work on these cars. With cams, full exhaust, possibly honed intake, and proper engine tuning what do you think a 320 engine will put out? Plus I would learn how to disassemble the engine, and hopefully reassemble. Might be more of an undertaking than I am thinking, especially with no shop manual or torque specs.
I know a guy selling a C32 engine in Cali.But it would be easier to install the 430 motor.There was a guy on here that did the 320-430 CLK conversion.It's not difficult at all.

Last edited by ProjectC55; 08-07-2005 at 06:51 PM.
Old 08-08-2005, 12:13 PM

Yeah i have wanted to put a 430 motor in my car since I got it back in 99. ,At the time there was no 430 convertibles and this was what i wanted to do. Anyways, you would still need a diff tranny for the c32 motor right? I really want to do this im located right by nyc and just dont know what motor to choose or who could reprogram the ecu.
Old 08-08-2005, 12:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by x15jq
Yeah i have wanted to put a 430 motor in my car since I got it back in 99. ,At the time there was no 430 convertibles and this was what i wanted to do. Anyways, you would still need a diff tranny for the c32 motor right? I really want to do this im located right by nyc and just dont know what motor to choose or who could reprogram the ecu.
ECU programming not an issue.The guy who did mine can do yours. C32 motor should bolt up to your tranny already. When folks use the Kleeman S/C on 320's they don't change the tranny.So it should handle it.
Old 08-08-2005, 07:00 PM
Almost a Member!

So the C32 engine would be harder to install but bolt up to the tranny. And the 430 engine would be easier to install and not bolt up to the tranny.

I like the sounds of the C32 engine.
Old 08-08-2005, 11:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

So the C32 engine would be harder to install but bolt up to the tranny. And the 430 engine would be easier to install and not bolt up to the tranny.

I like the sounds of the C32 engine.
Both motors may bolt up to the tranny ,the issue with the C32 motor would be the ECU and engine harness.If you have the $$ anything can be done.
Old 08-09-2005, 08:58 AM

Does the trans have a separate ECU? I am confused by the whole reprogramming thing, each engine obviously has its own proprietory ecu right? Which place helped you out with yours? Im gonna start looking for a motor.... its been something ive been wanting to do since 99.

Thanks for the help
Old 08-09-2005, 06:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by x15jq
Does the trans have a separate ECU? I am confused by the whole reprogramming thing, each engine obviously has its own proprietory ecu right? Which place helped you out with yours? Im gonna start looking for a motor.... its been something ive been wanting to do since 99.

Thanks for the help
You only need to be concerned with the engine control ECU.