Performance Upgrades & Tuning Discuss general performance and tuning enhancements for your Mercedes-Benz.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

MKB experience?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 03:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sl350
MKB experience?

i'm new to this site and i' ve going back a few posts to check if there are any posts regarding MKB. i can see only references to kleeman, renntech, etc. has anyone had any experience with MKB? need some advice here!
Old 12-28-2005, 03:54 PM
ON PROBATION

If you are in Europe MKB would be a very good consideration. They don't do much here in the US anymore (although Renntech does carry some of their components) which is why you don't hear them mentioned much.....
Old 12-31-2005, 08:14 PM
Almost a Member!

01 CLK 55
Mkb

There is a shop in Cali that is doing the full MKB conversions for CLK. I think for the N/A cars all the offer is a motor rework with no forced induction. I did not ask about superchaged 03's and up. If I remember right the full MKB conversion for motor, exhaust and some interior and exterior stuff was around $30K.
Old 12-31-2005, 09:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Whatever keys I grab first...
MKB is... unique. I like it, I like the way it looks, I like the way the exhaust works, I'm pretty much happy with them. Only thing is, you have to import your parts from Germany and when they get installed on your vehicle, it will only be as good as the job thats done. So... in other words, choose who you want to put your parts on carefully, if done right, you should be pleased; MKB is also very rare in the states. If Brabus is the Ford of MB Tuner, MKB is the Ferrari. Good luck!
Old 01-01-2006, 05:09 AM

sl350
thanks for the input lexani
i didn't know their reputation was so good

actually i am located in greece, so germany is not that far.
the guys who bring mkb here are actually also the exclusive representatives of amg in greece so i guess they are pretty trustworthy.

as you can see i own your poor cousin (performance-wise)
i really need some more hp!!!

so mkb have this package for the sl350 that takes the power to 300hp (from 245 now) and torque to 390Nm (from 350 now).
they basically do three things: 1. they replace the camshafts, 2. they reprogram the ecu and 3. they modify the cylinder heads in order to improve the flow of scavenge and exhaust (by the way, does anybody know what that last part means?-do they just polish the inlet and exhaust ports?)

this package including labour costs 9500 euro, about $11000. also there is 2 year warranty.

do u think its worth it?
are the advertised gains in power really true??

i guess this is a pretty staightforward mod. for the amg-mkb guys-do you think there are any risks involved??

thanks in advance
Old 01-01-2006, 05:11 AM

sl350
also...

also, what mods. did you do to your car?
Old 01-01-2006, 06:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by aphex
thanks for the input lexani
i didn't know their reputation was so good
One thing about that; reputation is like beauty, its in the eye of the beholder. I believe their excellent, ask around however, you will find otherwise. For example, Brabus owners, swear Brabus is better than MKB-- I differ.

Regardless of what others say, I believe you should be happy. You will be pleased with the way your SL will look after the aero-kit is installed-- I promise you.

actually i am located in greece, so germany is not that far.
the guys who bring mkb here are actually also the exclusive representatives of amg in greece so i guess they are pretty trustworthy.
You should be in good hands than-- as long as idiots dont do the work on the vehicle you should be fine. My case, I had to order two kits because they f**ked my first one (excuse me). Needless to say, the pricing of the second kit went on their tab, not mine.

as you can see i own your poor cousin (performance-wise)
i really need some more hp!!!
I've been curious about those, how much do they run for?

so mkb have this package for the sl350 that takes the power to 300hp (from 245 now) and torque to 390Nm (from 350 now).
they basically do three things: 1. they replace the camshafts, 2. they reprogram the ecu and 3. they modify the cylinder heads in order to improve the flow of scavenge and exhaust (by the way, does anybody know what that last part means?-do they just polish the inlet and exhaust ports?)

You will be pleased! MKB's owners are both former of NASA and AMG, last I heard. Whatever they are doing to your vehicle, the outcome should be excellent. I'm not sure what the last part means, but I believe they just polish the inlet and exhaust ports.

this package including labour costs 9500 euro, about $11000. also there is 2 year warranty.

do u think its worth it?
are the advertised gains in power really true??
Although I do not if the advertised power gains are 100% true, I can tell you, you will feel the difference. Your vehicle will not only perform better, but sound better as well-- to what extent regarding performance, I do not know, but I'm sure it will be near advertised claims; you may dyno your vehicle to find out after everything is done. I genuienly believe this is worth it, especially since you have the 2 year warranty.

i guess this is a pretty staightforward mod. for the amg-mkb guys-do you think there are any risks involved??

thanks in advance
Risks? Not that I cant think off, again, the parts should perform well if installed correctly and accurately. If you trust those working on your vehicle you needn't worry.

Good luck!

As per your request:

Installed on my SL, I have:

1. aero-kit

2. modified exhaust straight from headers

I should be pushing out a little over 500, and should be faster not only because of that, but I saved a little weight with the aero kit. The SL600, my black one; the only one I have modded, pulls harder and quite honestly sounds like jet when both starting up and taking off.

Again, I am especially pleased with the parts from MKB and if I had another SL600 (which I do), and felt the need to mod it, I would again choose MKB.

Good luck with your modding and post pics when you are done!

-John
Old 01-02-2006, 02:26 PM

sl350
thanx again for the vauable info lexani

to tell you the truth i dont intend to do any exterior modifications-to me, the simpler, the better...

when u say how much they run for, i suppose u mean pricewise??

well base price is 107000 euros-mine with the extras costs about 127000euros----thats about US$ 150000.

regards
Old 01-02-2006, 03:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

thanx again for the vauable info lexani
No problem, pm (private message) me if you ever need anything in regards to MB, MKB or anything related for that matter.

to tell you the truth i dont intend to do any exterior modifications-to me, the simpler, the better...
True. Whatever makes you happy

when u say how much they run for, i suppose u mean pricewise??

well base price is 107000 euros-mine with the extras costs about 127000euros----thats about US$ 150000.

regards
That price cant be right. My SL600, my '04 was $137,000 MSRP when I bought it-- your SL350, CANNOT be $150,000-- typo?

Best Regards,
John
Old 01-02-2006, 04:02 PM

sl350
no typo i'm afraid...

car taxes in greece are outrageous
Old 01-02-2006, 06:53 PM
ON PROBATION

We have it pretty good here in the USA when it comes to the cost of buying a car vs. how it is in other countries...believe me.
Old 01-03-2006, 11:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'98 C43/55 AMG Speedybenz Susp. & MBenzNL On Board -- '88 560SL -- '09 JCW MINI -- '97 Jeep TJ Sport
i'm new to this site and i' ve going back a few posts to check if there are any posts regarding MKB. i can see only references to kleeman, renntech, etc. has anyone had any experience with MKB? need some advice here!
EDIT: Never mind ... I found it: http://www.mkb-power.de

Last edited by c55m8o; 01-03-2006 at 11:38 AM.
Old 01-03-2006, 11:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'98 C43/55 AMG Speedybenz Susp. & MBenzNL On Board -- '88 560SL -- '09 JCW MINI -- '97 Jeep TJ Sport
Originally Posted by shan12
There is a shop in Cali that is doing the full MKB conversions for CLK.
shan12, do you have a name or URL for them? would appreciate it if so. thanx.
Old 01-03-2006, 02:20 PM
ON PROBATION

MKB has done some fantastic stuff in the past. I was real interested in the engineering and mods that they had out for the W210 and R170, especially their 'reinforced gearbox' and their 4 pipe exhaust with the free flow cats placed in the ends of the exhaust.
One of the people who works for me went to their factory or raceshop or whatever in Europe two times, about 4 years ago and about 2 years ago, though, and both times he came back and reported that he wasn't impressed with their operation...which has kind of left me some some lingering doubts.
I have also heard, but have not confirmed, that RennTech is now utilizing a whole bunch of MKB in their operation.
I have also met a couple of MKB folks who confirmed to me that the owner/founder was an AMG original and is a complete power freak and has a garage full of about 20 exotics, with "every one of them MKB'd in some manner" to produce more power than originally -- that this guy's lust for power in his cars is what drives him.... Oh, and he has one helluva technical/engineering background.
Just thought I'd add to the conversation.....
Old 01-03-2006, 06:49 PM

CLK55 AMG 2006 Cabrio, BMW M3 2008 DTC Cab new (M3 e46 SMG 2003 Cabrio Sold), BMW X5 tt Diesel 2008
Hi,

I have dealt with MKB direct in Germany (I live in Australia) and purchased goods from them for my CLK55. I had no problems with them and their quality is very good.

Robertus
Old 01-04-2006, 01:06 PM
Almost a Member!

01 CLK 55
Originally Posted by c55m8o
shan12, do you have a name or URL for them? would appreciate it if so. thanx.
Actually I do not, but I emailed MKB and they responded within 24hrs and they gave me the contact info. Sorry I didn't keep up with it. Email them and they will respond.
Old 01-05-2006, 02:53 PM

sl350
Actually I do not, but I emailed MKB and they responded within 24hrs and they gave me the contact info. Sorry I didn't keep up with it. Email them and they will respond.
actually i mailed them about 10 days ago but no answer yet..

maybe i'll send a chaser...

I have also met a couple of MKB folks who confirmed to me that the owner/founder was an AMG original and is a complete power freak and has a garage full of about 20 exotics, with "every one of them MKB'd in some manner" to produce more power than originally -- that this guy's lust for power in his cars is what drives him.... Oh, and he has one helluva technical/engineering background.
the guys who represent amg/mkb here were telling me that the guy who created mkb is indeed one of the two guys who created amg. however, it is now controlled by this greek engineer who used to be head of the racing department at MB.

happy new year
Old 01-24-2006, 03:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by ClayJ
I have also met a couple of MKB folks who confirmed to me that the owner/founder was an AMG original and is a complete power freak and has a garage full of about 20 exotics, with "every one of them MKB'd in some manner" to produce more power than originally -- that this guy's lust for power in his cars is what drives him....
My understanding is that Erhard Melcher (the "M" in AMG) sold his interest in MKB in the early 90s....possibly even earlier.

According to MKB's website, two brothers, Panagiotis Avramidis and Pavlos Avramidis own the business. Panagiotis reportedly worked at AMG racing up to that point.

History aside, I've heard/read very good feedback from folks who have used their tuning kits.