Performance Upgrades & Tuning Discuss general performance and tuning enhancements for your Mercedes-Benz.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

Tuning potential for new N/A V8 engines

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 11:07 PM

Received 113 Likes on 80 Posts
2020 S63 Coupe, 2006 Hummer H1 Alpha, 2018 McLaren 720S, 2022 Porsche 911 TurboS, 2022 Tesla Model X
Tuning potential for new N/A V8 engines

I'm in the market for a CLS. Options are to get a 2006 CLS55 or wait for the 2007 models, which I understand will be the 382hp CLS550 and 510hp CLS63.

Since I rarely will be able to drive at 5000rpm or higher, I'm much less interested in peak HP than torque at low-mid engine speeds. The supercharged V8 of the CLS55 should be a great choice for me, but I'm a little hestitant to buy one with the new models imminent.

I studied the performance data of the N/A 6.2L plant, in context of the ML63, and it would seem to be a less ideal engine than the supercharged V8 of the CLS55 based on its torque curve. But it will apparently be mated to the 7 speed transmission, rather than the 5 speed of the CLS55, which may be advantageous. With the inevitable supercharged versions from the tuners, the 6.2L will be quite formidable, but at a total cost approaching the awesome V12 biturbo of the -65 models.

More realistically, what should be expected for a supercharged version of the new 5.5L V8 ? Based on what is known about the S550, the new N/A engine packs 382hp (6500rpm) and 383 ft lbs (2800rpm). If the current N/A and supercharged AMG 5.5L engines are used as an analogy, 515hp and 517 ft lbs may be achievable. If so, a tuned CLS550 may be a worthy alternative to the CLS55 and CLS63. But... after engine and body work it probably will cost more, and have lower resale value than the AMG version.

Any thoughts ?
Old 12-30-2005, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 E 500 4matic wagon; CLS 63 AMG
Current AMG V8

I purchased a CLS 55 last April and since then have installed the Kleemann limited sllip differential and the stage 1 engine upgrade. The latter increased torque to about 560 ft/lbs, and the former permits the transfer of that to the road more readily. (There was also a modest hp gain as well.) If you are interested in either off the line quickness or rapid acceleration at mid level speeds, as opposed to increassing top end speeds, I would suggest modifications that produce torque increases or the increased utiilization that a limited slip differential brings. I don't believe that the larger displacement engines do much for torque, but I don't know if there will better lsds installed, which are not available as stock components now, except, I understand, as part of the "030" package.