Performance Upgrades & Tuning Discuss general performance and tuning enhancements for your Mercedes-Benz.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

Your opinions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 06:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 ML63 ///AMG
Your opinions

*** FYI This was cross posted on the W164 forums as well ***

I just went by a local tuning shop today to try to get some information regarding tuning my 2007 ML500. I know very little about tuning except what I have learned here at mbworld. Can anyone tell me if this is a good deal or not?

Renntech ECU upgrade $1,795.00
K&N or BMC Air Filters x 2 $200.00
Brabus exhaust $2,500.00

TOTAL with taxes and labour is $4,900.00

Now I think the guy made a mistake because he confused my ML500 with an ML550. I say this because he said the Renntech upgrade would bring my HP to 402 and torque 405. Thats a HUGE jump from my current 302 and 339.

My questions are:

1. What are my realistic increases in HP and torque with these mods?

2. Can I get away with doing, say the ECU upgrade and the filters, and leave the exhaust for another day?

3. Is this pricing any good?

Thanks all for your info!
Old 08-22-2008, 02:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
Originally Posted by krown

I just went by a local tuning shop today to try to get some information regarding tuning my 2007 ML500. I know very little about tuning except what I have learned here at mbworld. Can anyone tell me if this is a good deal or not?

Brabus exhaust $2,500.00

Now I think the guy made a mistake because he confused my ML500 with an ML550. I say this because he said the Renntech upgrade would bring my HP to 402 and torque 405. Thats a HUGE jump from my current 302 and 339.

My questions are:

2. Can I get away with doing, say the ECU upgrade and the filters, and leave the exhaust for another day?

Hi:

While Renntech is good, we may have a quality solution as well.

I think your shop was confused about power increases. With us you will see ~10% increase in hp and tq with that engine. We broaden the power band so as to give you more power in the heart of the rev range. Which is where you want it.

The exhaust isn't necessary straight away, but the K&N will really help the car breathe better. With our work they really help enhance the ECU tuning.

Check our site and email me with any other questions. I think that we can save you some money over your local shop as well.
Old 08-24-2008, 03:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MG TC
Originally Posted by krown

I know very little about tuning except what I have learned here at mbworld.

Brabus exhaust $2,500.00

My questions are:

Hello:

When some says "I know very little about tuning except what I learned... (online)" All I can think about is the guy who says "I've never played poker before, can I join you guys?"

Seriously,
I would suggest that any company that advertises a power increase for their parts be asked to show a dyno sheet listing the parts and specs of the engine tested. And I don't mean a computer model, I mean a real life honest to goodness dyno. It's easy to claim high HP and/or torque but to actually prove it in a repeatable manner ... that's something very different. Grenade engine sheets with high HP are nothing new to show figures to those willing to part with cash.
You need to know when the power comes on, power at 7000 rpm is somewhat useless on the street, you'd pretty much get blown away by diesel powered Chevettes at any stoplight.
If you're looking for more usable street power think torque that comes on at 1500 or so.

But I have to ask, respectfully, are you using what you have to the fullest advantage? In other words, are your capabilities up to the capabilities of the car? I thought I was a good driver, and then I had Allan McNish take me for a ride in my Ghibli.... I am older than him, spent more time behind the wheel than him, and I'm very much slower than him -- in my own car...
It's nice, and sexy, to want the appearance of upgrading your vehicle but if you really want to go faster may I suggest a driving school, Jim Russell and Skip Barber were the ones I attended years ago. When I came back my car was much faster than before I left...
Besides, look how much "performance" equipment is available used, and at what price. The value nosedives as soon as you install it.
I'd spend some of your the money on a good driving school, a real one, not a gourmet lunch and a lap around the track type and the rest of it on a Brabus/AMG/RennTECH/Lorensier/Kleeman/Carlsson badge or two.
Or, do what I did...
Put a 190D badge on the back of my 1992 500E..... when people question the speed I just have a silly grin on my face say "diesel technology has come a long way."

Respectfully disagree, the beauty of it all is that there's room for everyone in this hobby.

Kind Regards,

Ron
124-036
124-090
1949 MG TC
1950 Jaguar XK 120
1957 Porsche 356A
1962 MGA Deluxe
1970 Maserati Ghibli
1996 Bentley Continental
John Deere 318 Monoposto
1960 Radio Flyer - Original Owner !