Performance Upgrades & Tuning Discuss general performance and tuning enhancements for your Mercedes-Benz.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

Souping up older cars

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2002, 03:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1983 300SD, 1996 C220, 1986 560SEL (my baby)
Souping up older cars

Alright, this had to be done sooner or later, so, let's have at it.

For those of us that DON'T have infinite supplies of cash lying around, older models are often a little easier to deal with than sitting around waiting to win the lottery so that we can get the 'latest and greatest' for $150k, then pour another $300k into it, just in time to get the 'next big thing'.

That said, I have a few questions:

1) on an older engine (say 175k miles ::ducks:: ) what needs to be done to the engine to prepare it to take the additional wear of performance increases?

2) how much are we talking (price and time) to put these things back together?

3) What kind of parts are available? (I'm trying to find a super for a 1986 560SEL, anyone know where I can get one?)

4) Since warranties aren't really in the picture, what kind of 'stuff' can be done that you wouldn't necessarily want to do on a newer car?
Old 01-13-2003, 02:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 E 320
Wow, this thread has got no replies. If I was you, I would first do a compression test to see what shape my engine is in. The miles on a car wount tell you that. If a car has 90,000 miles which it hasnt been taken care of is gonna be weaker than one with more miles but has had everything taken care of on time. Then I would find a REPUTABLE tuner and sit and have a talk to see what options I have open. One last thing, dont skimp on anything due to price. Do everything right the first time. If you skimp anywhere it will come back, most likely ending up to be more expensive.
Old 01-16-2003, 04:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Re: Souping up older cars

Originally posted by 560SEL

3) What kind of parts are available? (I'm trying to find a super for a 1986 560SEL, anyone know where I can get one?)

I dont know what you can do the the suspension or brakes, but you can do motor work to gain more HP.

I think Evosport can get you some MKB stuff. MKB makes some things for your motor. Oberklasse put some MKB cams in an 107 body SL, it was a grey market car, SL500 that made about 300hp after mods. It was rather inexpensive, but I dont remember the exact cost.

If you want to spend more money yOu can always put a 113 motor in it and run a Kleeman blower. Patomic motors had an AMG 55 motor for a while at a reasonable price. That would be a nice motor to put in that car.

I am considering an older car also, but much older. 123 coupe with a big 6.9. I would appreciate any more information people can add to this thread.

Last edited by PhucNguyen57; 01-16-2003 at 04:05 PM.