Performance Upgrades & Tuning Discuss general performance and tuning enhancements for your Mercedes-Benz.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

My car is out of comission

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2003, 02:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
300ce
My car is out of comission

............My CLK32K is out of comission. The water pump for the intercooloer broke and needs to be replaced.

Ted
Old 01-28-2003, 04:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
............just wanted to put a plug in for Brandon and the rest of the Kleeman gang........they are fixing the problem with supercharger although my car is over 15,oo miles from the time the supercharger was placed.

Ted
Old 01-28-2003, 05:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Someone else that recently installed a supercharger on their e320 had a problem with the water pump.
Old 01-31-2003, 02:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh? That's odd. Can you provide more info as to what exactly happened? Did your car sound like a 300D?

Question... I've read somewhere that you've raised your boost to .6bar with an upgraded S/C pulley (non-Kleemann I presume). Would doing that have voided the Kleemann 1-year/unlimited-miles warranty?
Old 01-31-2003, 01:33 PM

Freedom of speech, my brother. Speak up!
Old 01-31-2003, 06:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
Oh? That's odd. Can you provide more info as to what exactly happened? Did your car sound like a 300D?

Question... I've read somewhere that you've raised your boost to .6bar with an upgraded S/C pulley (non-Kleemann I presume). Would doing that have voided the Kleemann 1-year/unlimited-miles warranty?

........I seems premature failure of the water pump is something to look out for if you have a supercharger with an intercooler. Like me, you may not notice any difference in performance. You will hear a grinding noise and may find spotting of your garage from coolant leak which may look just like you would have if you had an oil leak.

.........Yes, the car sounded like an older model mercedes diesel engine. I never noticed any difference in performance. Yes, I have a boost kit which consists of a different pulley systemm. All items and work were purchased from Kleeman and done through their authorized performance shop. So it did not void my warranty.

I just picked up my car............all is well with world now. They did a professional job fixing my car and all in all I'm pleased despite the mishap.

Ted
Old 01-31-2003, 07:34 PM

Ted, I'm glad that Kleemann took care of you as they did of me.
Did Kleemann replace your S/C or just the water pump? I had a similar problem where they assumed the problem was the water pump, but changing the water pump did not solve the entire problem.

This brings up a concern of longevity and durability of the Kleemann system. How long has it been since you've got your kompressor installed? ~10 months? Are they going to extend your warranty since this may be an area of concern later on. If your water pump fails again in 3 months, then you're pretty much SOL.

My problem occured after about 1k miles and 1.5 months after delivery of my car. As of now, my second blower is working well, but it makes me wonder if the similar problem will occur again in 10 months...
Old 02-01-2003, 04:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
Ted, I'm glad that Kleemann took care of you as they did of me.
Did Kleemann replace your S/C or just the water pump? I had a similar problem where they assumed the problem was the water pump, but changing the water pump did not solve the entire problem.
This brings up a concern of longevity and durability of the Kleemann system. How long has it been since you've got your kompressor installed? ~10 months? Are they going to extend your warranty since this may be an area of concern later on. If your water pump fails again in 3 months, then you're pretty much SOL.
My problem occured after about 1k miles and 1.5 months after delivery of my car. As of now, my second blower is working well, but it makes me wonder if the similar problem will occur again in 10 months...

...............They replaced the s/c. I have over 15,000 miles since the s/c was placed and never had a problem. I not sure when the the water pump failed. I thought I had an oil leak. As far as lonegivity, it appears that if you notice the water pump failure early enough, it may not be neccessary to change the s/c. Ths/c itself so far has not had a problem in anyone's car as far as I know. I dids not discuss warranty extension since my car s/c was already past the 12,000 mile mark. Given the way Kleeman takes car of the problem when it happens, I have had a very positive experience and won't hessitate to get a Kleeman s/c next time. However, I think it is becoming clear that the water seems to be the most likely part to have a problem. If I were Kleeman, I will look at a way to redesign it or something. Also, I wonder if there needs to be periodic water pump checks at specific intervals.

Ted
Old 02-02-2003, 02:36 AM

Originally posted by Ted Baldwin

...............They replaced the s/c.

I guess I don't owe Brandon a cheeseburger anymore.

And yea, I think a periodic checkup of the water pump would be a prudent idea. I will be more attentive to any coolant puddles in my garage also.