Performance Upgrades & Tuning Discuss general performance and tuning enhancements for your Mercedes-Benz.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

Actual Kleemann 55K HP/TQ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2002, 11:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 E55
Actual Kleemann 55K HP/TQ?

I ran into the following on the bmwm5.com messageboard:

Supercharged 540i / CLK55K Comparison

It claims that Sprewell's CLK55K turned up 417 hp and 435 ft-lb on the dyno.

These numbers seem very low. Is that site pure fiction, was Sprewell's car having a bad day, or are those numbers what we should expect from a 55 with Kleemann Kompressor?
Old 02-01-2002, 12:25 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you search through the previous posts, you'll find one mentioning jimmys540i. KLEEMANN responded to this same post there, stating 2 important facts.

1. The CLK55 did in fact report those numbers that day.
2. The CLK55 also had a broken intercooler, which is the reason why the 55 did not reach its550HP.
Old 02-01-2002, 01:26 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is what was stated by KLEEMANN:

the numbers on "Jimmys540i" page are what the car put down on that run. The CLK was tested at McMullen/Argus tech center along
with two other cars for a story that will be appearing in European Car this spring. I cant do much about Jimmysa site- nor do I want to, as it is a real description of what happened.

During the photo shoot the upper hose for the water to air intercooler radiator failed (clamp actually failed). The hose was repaired, but little attention was paid to filling the intercooler correctly (this is no ones fault, the folks on hand had no idea how to do it). With a large air pocket in the water system, the intercooler is essentially worthless.

I have also had some poor experiences dyno testing vehicles that were known to be funtioning properly. As MBZ continues to produce cars the software versions change for ECU's, ESP, ABS etc. It is virtually impossible to turn the ESP system completely off. The ECU will eventually close the throttle, apply brake or even cut fuel (Im mean, come on your doing a 140mph burn out
as far as the ESP is concerned). This is not the first time a CLK55K
has tested poorly on a dyno.

BUT.. I can say this: the proof is in the driving. Anyone who has
driven one of these cars can attest to the power being there. During a 0 - 60 run a CLK55K will put down two 30 foot long rubber marks as it shifts into 3rd gear! Our CLK43K cant hold a candle to a CLK55K, they are NOT making the
same power.
Old 02-01-2002, 04:12 PM

CLK55, Mini S
A couple of questions for the Supercharger pushers:

2. The CLK55 also had a broken intercooler, which is the reason why the 55 did not reach its550HP.
So how long had the car had the Kleemann installation before it broke????

Does this happen all the time?

Would the driver have known in everyday driving that his intercooler was broken?

Could the owner have driven for weeks or months thinking he has a kick A Supercharged car, when in fact, he wasn't getting what he paid for it?

Does one have to dyno the car to find out it is broken??

"Just a hose that slipped off"...WTF kind of quality of install is that?

Thanks for your feedback.
Old 02-01-2002, 05:18 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Re: A couple of questions for the Supercharger pushers:

Originally posted by hmrdwn

So how long had the car had the Kleemann installation before it broke????

1 Month.

Does this happen all the time?

No, this was the first time it happened that I am aware of.

Would the driver have known in everyday driving that his intercooler was broken?

Yes. The power would be down- something a driver would notice.

Could the owner have driven for weeks or months thinking he has a kick A Supercharged car, when in fact, he wasn't getting what he paid for it?

The driver would still have a major increase in power, just not the full potential. He would notice- it would also be fixed immediately by the installer at no charge to the customer.

Does one have to dyno the car to find out it is broken??

No.

"Just a hose that slipped off"...WTF kind of quality of install is that?

KLEEMANN uses one time use clamps in low pressure/vacuum lines and worm clamps on high pressure lines. This one time use clamp was deformed enough in installation that is was not applying maximum clamp force on the hose. Ultimately the hose popped off. KLEEMANN has since gone to worm clamps on all intercooler lines as well as changing the hose specification. It is still possible to overtighten a worm clamp and strip the band. Stripping the band leads to a hose that pops off when the internal pressure exceeds the external clamp force.

Attached image is the new clamps and hose KLEEMANN uses.

Thanks for your feedback.