Performance Upgrades & Tuning Discuss general performance and tuning enhancements for your Mercedes-Benz.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

KLEEMANN Lightweight C230 Flywheel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2003, 05:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by KLEEMANN
<snip> Driven with care (no 6K RPM clutch drops, missed shifts etc etc) the tranny will last.
That is with the stock clutch right?

The new mod could handle missed shifts and decent launches?
Old 04-22-2003, 06:39 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My point is this:

The gearbox will tolerate twice the power the M111 engine makes. The clutch will slip under high loads as you approach 300hp.

Shock loads will kill any gearbox regardless of what it is. Miss shifts and do plenty of 6K cutch drops and you will ruin the tranny no matter what clutch you have.
Old 04-22-2003, 06:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ok- that's reasonably anticipated. The vmax won't let me drop any higher then 3500 unless I time it to catch it on the surge anyway.

So, then I ask this refering to misses.
I've got 27k on my car and I haven't been nice to the her. The shifts are starting to feel a little sloppy, and the chance of a miss is increasing noticably. On the 2 -3 I've caught myself almost going into first.

Any chance of a one piece CNC machined short throw shifter being done? Something like the UUC shifters for bmw?

EDIT- Not trying to go off-topic. I think the upgraded shifter would be an excelent addition to this offering from Kleemann.

Last edited by nukblazi; 04-23-2003 at 01:10 AM.
Old 04-23-2003, 10:49 AM
Almost a Member!

99 slk230
Amen to the short shifter!!!!!!! An even better idea. Whole new setup new bushings and the like to make the whole thing smoother. Just put it on the drawing board!
Old 04-23-2003, 04:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
[QUOTE]Originally posted by KLEEMANN
[B]No hard data from MBZ to support any MAX input claim, that being said, I can break any transmission you put in front of me if its a challenge.

I Thought that was my line...I can Break it! Let Me TRY!!
Hmmmmmmmmm I Wonder how many Transmission/Clutch replacements I Would Be on if my Wifes car was a Stick?
Old 06-11-2003, 05:26 PM

C230k coupe 500sec convertible
Alright, I have gone through 2 rear ends in my sportcoupe already, and that part i thought would not be the weakest link, so, has MB fixed the problem or with all this new power handling parts transfer it to the rear again??? If the modified m111 engine will be putting out aroun 100hp more than stock, with better clutch, and flywheel applied, will I rip through another rear end???

Any updates from kleeman about the flywheel or upgraded sc, gains performance etc???? my clutch is about gone and seriously considering the replacement in the next few months
Old 06-11-2003, 05:42 PM

2002 c230k
Originally posted by HeirKranz
Alright, I have gone through 2 rear ends in my sportcoupe already, and that part i thought would not be the weakest link, so, has MB fixed the problem or with all this new power handling parts transfer it to the rear again??? If the modified m111 engine will be putting out aroun 100hp more than stock, with better clutch, and flywheel applied, will I rip through another rear end???

Any updates from kleeman about the flywheel or upgraded sc, gains performance etc???? my clutch is about gone and seriously considering the replacement in the next few months
How many miles on each rear-end?
Old 06-12-2003, 11:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

hehe, I have about half saved up for this...

:doctor evil grin
Old 06-13-2003, 09:25 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

The light mass flywheel has been in our demo Coupe for about two months at this point. I have the following to report about it:

The original flywheel is a dual mass unit (two moving parts isolated from each other by a sprung hub), the primary reason for this design is to mitigate transmission noise/vibration from the 6 speed. The original unit (inclusive of all clutch parts) is 49 lbs, the light mass unit is 30 lbs. The engine revs very freely with no degradation of idle. Power delivery is smooth all the way to redline- a trait the original was not known for. BUT.... All this comes at a price. The single mass nature of the light mass unit shows the gear noise from the transmission, it is fairly loud. The clutch system can be used with a standard flywheel and will handle approx 400hp/400tq. Two types of disk are avialable- kevlar and metal.

Contact info@kleemannusa.com for parts requests or any of our authorized dealers.

As for the rear end- its the same unit as any other C class (a derivitive of a W124 rear axle) the only change being the ratio, it should easily handle 350 hp and similar tq. I can only imagine the are failing due to "abuse"
Old 06-21-2003, 06:57 PM

C230k coupe 500sec convertible
abuse???, that is why I bought a Mercedes, all the domestic crap crumbles apart around me!!! thats ok, in my last c coupe I think the spider gear desintegrated (metal shavings troughout the case) that happened at 30,000. my curent coupe the (second one) just hummed louder than it should at @35,000 miles (like a worn out loose w126 rear end with 250,000 miles on it)

I put a lot of HARD miles quickly on my cars.
Old 06-21-2003, 07:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by HeirKranz
I put a lot of HARD miles quickly on my cars.
obviously