Performance Upgrades & Tuning Discuss general performance and tuning enhancements for your Mercedes-Benz.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

500HP for G55?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-01-2003, 08:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
300ce
500HP for G55?

..........I hope this is not too much off-topic. But I wanted to post this here so see if anyone knows the answer. I am very interested in finding out if the supercharged 500HP engine will make it into the G55.

Ted
Old 05-01-2003, 08:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
500 hp + box on wheels.... that would be really scary. I would think that the G would almost be unsafe with that much power running through it. I believe I read somewhere that the SCed engine would not make it into the G.... I could be wrong. just doen't seem right.
Old 05-02-2003, 12:12 PM
JME
Almost a Member!

G55
Talking

Sleestack,
My G55K is running almost 600HP right now. It's only scary when you try to turn.
Old 05-02-2003, 01:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by JME
Sleestack,
My G55K is running almost 600HP right now. It's only scary when you try to turn.
That's what I mean. But hey, there's never too much power. Are you running a Kleemann on your G or an AMG SC?
Old 05-02-2003, 01:52 PM
JME
Almost a Member!

G55
I went with Kleemann. All kidding aside it is a fun truck and one of a kind. It is currently in Detroit at Car and Driver. They are going to do an article and full road test on it. It will be compared to a Lingenfelter H2 Hummer. I've also put in an extensive audio, video system. I really do enjoy driving it and giving people the suprise of their life at stop lights.
Old 05-02-2003, 02:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by JME
I went with Kleemann. All kidding aside it is a fun truck and one of a kind. It is currently in Detroit at Car and Driver. They are going to do an article and full road test on it. It will be compared to a Lingenfelter H2 Hummer. I've also put in an extensive audio, video system. I really do enjoy driving it and giving people the suprise of their life at stop lights.
That's great. Kleemann rocks. I have one as well in my CLK and will be using it in my current 6.2 liter conversion. We are aiming for 650- 700 hp and similar torque numbers. I'm putting a premium on performance so no audio/video at all, however, sounds like akiller setup for the SUV. Smack down that H2... post some pics.
Old 05-03-2003, 07:07 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Kill the H2, kill it so it'll wish that it was never created. :o
Old 05-05-2003, 10:11 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

A quick update from scenic Ann Arbor Michigan- the G55K is unloaded and freshly washed. Tanked up on the local 93 Octane (I wish we had that in Colorado). Ready for C&D. The Hummer is a formidable beast with the rebuilt engine and SC, although its ponderous mass will make it tough, I think we can take the H2 in acceleration. H2 can traverse a 40cm high obsticle- dont think the G can do that.

Turning off the ESP and flooring it from a dead stop gets all four wheels to spin for about 10 feet, than WHAM- back in the seat. The G gets pretty hairy above 120- I wouldnt recommend it for long.

Performance testing with the H2 at Diamler Chrysler proving grounds on Tuesday, picturesd and road driving on Wed- should be a good time.
Old 05-06-2003, 09:39 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Another update from Michigan:

A great amount of data collected today during testing with the H2. Here are some unofficial stats:

G55K tips the scales at 5650 lbs, 0-60 in 5.3 seconds with ESP completely disabled, 5.5 with it switched off at the dash. 1/4 mile in 14.2 @ 97 ESP completely off, 14.4 with its switched off at the dash. Many more measurements were taken like braking distances, interior dB levels at various speeds, lateral accel etc. I dont have these figures yet and will mostlikely be asked to keep them under my hat ( as well as official times).

H2 ran 0-60 in 6.9 once and 7's several other times, 1/4 mi in the low 15's. There may have been some ECU related issues as it has posted better times in the past, still off the 55's pace.

No pictures allowed as the testing was conducted on Diamler Chrysler grounds, you will have to wait to read the article at the end of summer.

Heres a link to the Lingenfelter SC'd H2 Hummer :

http://www.lingenfelter.com/pac6ltmagschum.asp
Old 05-06-2003, 11:55 PM
Larry Sonsini

Brandon, I'm assuming that, as typical in most Kleemann applications, you did not go into the engine at all for the G55K? (Kompressor assembly and accessory parts only) Correct?

If so, quite an accomplishment considering how far Lingenfelter dug into their project.
Old 05-07-2003, 03:40 AM

ML 320 CDI
500 HP in a G55!!
I remember the test of the G 6.1 brabus in sport auto. They told that the car wasn't made for this kind of engine. I can't even imagine what you chassis will look like in 3 or 4 years with 600+ HP.
The G 55 is an off roader not a sport car.
Old 05-07-2003, 03:55 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Paul,

Please post facts to back your claims. I have a 480hp CLK, with over 20,000 SC'd miles, and I have yet to find my frame to be out of spec.

Thanks,
Ben
Old 05-07-2003, 04:12 AM

ML 320 CDI
I don't have a scanner to give you the Brabus G 6.1 test to see what they are thinking about this kind of power in a G class. 20000 miles is a few number ( I make 15000 in one year with my car). I speak about long term reliability. You're right, I have no proof that the car won't handle the power but I will ask to some members of the german AMG owner club. I will give you their answers.
Old 05-07-2003, 08:31 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Larry-

You are correct- we do not get into the internals with this system. MBZ has done a beautiful job of that already.

Paul-

Have you ever seen a G-wagon in person? 5650 lbs, this is not from the trunk being full of groceries. It is a body on frame construction with differentialas and transfercase that look like they came from a locomotive. G-wagons are built to take extreme punishment, if there is a chassis that can handle this kind of power its a G.

As for MACH430's CLK, much of his miles are on the track as well as using the car for press and demonstrations to potential customers- these are not babied miles. I can assure you this car is driven very hard every day. You could easily multiply by 2X for "road miles".
Old 05-07-2003, 09:16 AM

ML 320 CDI
Kleeman,

My father has a 99 G 300 TD LWB that I often drive and I know that it's really resistant but for an off road use not for a sport use. I have made a lot of hardcore off road with some friends and the G never had a slight problem but I'm not sure that the whole 4WD system will support 600Hp. I have no proof of what I say, ok but have you any prof that a 600 HP G class is as reliable as a stock G 55?
Old 05-07-2003, 12:15 PM
JME
Almost a Member!

G55
Paul,
Every post you make is negative. Don't you have anything better to do? Go **** on someone else's project.
Old 05-07-2003, 01:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Not only are they negative, they are uninformed. If I recall correctly, Paul is the same person that thinks Brabus is the king of MB tuning because they are the most visible tuner in France. Since when did France become the mecca of automobile tuning?
Old 05-07-2003, 05:14 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally posted by KLEEMANN
Have you ever seen a G-wagon in person? 5650 lbs, this is not from the trunk being full of groceries. It is a body on frame construction with differentialas and transfercase that look like they came from a locomotive. G-wagons are built to take extreme punishment, if there is a chassis that can handle this kind of power its a G.
This isn't an exaggeration either, one can FELL the doors slam shut, the truck revving, one can feel that too. the glass, everything. This truck is a rock.

Since when did France become the mecca of automobile tuning?
When they surrendered to Brabus.
Old 05-08-2003, 02:23 AM

ML 320 CDI
Ok, I admit that when I speak of Kleeman it is often to say bad things and perhaps that I'm a bit Brabus fanboy.
But every time that I speak with european MB fans (not only French but spanish, italians and english) about tuning always the same tuners where quoted: Carlsson (best tuners for trackday use with the chassis setting and a lot of other racing stuff), MKB (created by a former AMG employee, know how to tune AMG cars), brabus (best tuner for an everyday use). None of them knew Kleeman. Don't get me wrong, I didn't say that Kleeman is not known in europe.
I even heard AMG owner club members from Germany telling that Kleeman kits produce more power than the car can handle.
All these factors don't prove that this brand is as good as those I quoted before. But when I will have some proofs perhaps that my opinion will change.
Old 05-08-2003, 12:12 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Originally posted by Paul Le Corre
Ok, I admit that when I speak of Kleeman it is often to say bad things and perhaps that I'm a bit Brabus fanboy.
But every time that I speak with european MB fans (not only French but spanish, italians and english) about tuning always the same tuners where quoted: Carlsson (best tuners for trackday use with the chassis setting and a lot of other racing stuff), MKB (created by a former AMG employee, know how to tune AMG cars), brabus (best tuner for an everyday use). None of them knew Kleeman. Don't get me wrong, I didn't say that Kleeman is not known in europe.
I even heard AMG owner club members from Germany telling that Kleeman kits produce more power than the car can handle.
All these factors don't prove that this brand is as good as those I quoted before. But when I will have some proofs perhaps that my opinion will change.
Paul-
What kind of "proof" are you looking for??? I'd be curious of what kind of "proof" you have that Brabus, Carlsson, etc. is any more reliable than KLEEMANN! Please provide it if you have it.
Old 05-08-2003, 04:54 PM

Paul

In any kind of business, what would a compeditor say when they
doesn't have a product them self which can match ????.

If you call brabus and ask what they can do for a V8, the best they can do is a 6,1 with 426 HP, then you ask, but KLEEMANN can do 550 HP. Do you in your wildest dreams imagine they will say anything good. Only thing they can is try and scare the customer by telling 550 HP is too much.
Funny thing is, 4 years ago BRABUS launched the 5,7 K in the press with 557 HP, 1½ year later the project was dropped because emmisions rules had changed. Emmissions rules dosen't change, they are set by EC 4-5 years in advance. The problem was that BRABUS and cheif engineer Gauffres couldn't build a compressor system which was working.
BRABUS had the 5,7 K engine in the price list for all MB models born with a V8 from the factory, isn't it strange - that when they offered 557 HP them self, it wasn't a problem for chassic or engine. When KLEEMANN offer it, it's suddenly a huge problem.

Kleemann have + 4000 compressor systems running in + 25 different countries, so it's one of the most sold tuning solutions
for MB in the world.
Old 05-08-2003, 10:23 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally posted by Lucas
Kleemann have + 4000 compressor systems running in + 25 different countries, so it's one of the most sold tuning solutions
for MB in the world.
I was just staring at your sig, what kind of power does ur 600 spit out?

Brabus used to be the only stuff i knew about till i started visiting these forums.
Old 05-09-2003, 01:54 AM

My 600 puts out 620-630 HP and 950 - 1010 NM.
Old 05-09-2003, 02:54 AM

ML 320 CDI
Thanks Lucas for the info. I was wondering why the 5.7 Kompressor kit was suddenly stopped,now I know it.
For coryU (sorry if the spelling is wrong) one of the proofs that I can give is that when I came to see the Brabus French importer for infos, I saw a Cl 600 6.9 owner which came for a check up. His car had 212000 km (more than 120000 miles) and he told me that he never had a problem. I have seen a lot of 100000+ miles Brabus models still running perfectly. That's the best proof for me.
Old 05-09-2003, 03:39 PM

Paul

80 % of all taxi cabs in Denmark are Mercedes-Benz cars and it's not low class cars like in Germany, it's C, E, S class with all from
a C 180 to a S 600 V 12 petrol engine and from 220 - 400 CDI's fully loaded, these cars are sold to private people after the life as a taxi, due to our extreem high car tax here in Denmark

When we started to mass produce compressor systems back in 1994, we didn't have time to wait 5 years with testing before we could start selling, so we installed compressors on taxi cars for free, they run over 10.000 km pr. month so in a quite short time we could get a good idea of any weaknesses in the system and correct them.
These cars are still running 9 years after instalation and have now over 500.000 km on the clock with the same engine.
Of cause some parts are changed on the compressor system and usual general repair has been carried out on the car, but that is quite normal with that KM figure in mind.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 500HP for G55?