Performance Upgrades & Tuning Discuss general performance and tuning enhancements for your Mercedes-Benz.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

Optimum gear function

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2003, 11:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Optimum gear function

Optimum gear function: This technology makes overtaking easier by automatically selecting the gear that ensures the best acceleration according to the speed and pre-stored characteristic engine data when the shift lever is moved to the left and briefly held in that position.

Vehicle Tested:

W168 = No
W203 = ?
CL203 = Yes
W208 = No
W209 = ?
W210 = No
W211 = ?

etc

Could you please try the above out?

Thanks.
Old 06-11-2003, 08:20 AM

Anybody tried? How does your gearbox behave?
Old 06-12-2003, 05:46 AM

Nobody drives Auto here?
Old 06-13-2003, 10:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 S500 Brilliant Silver, 1990 BMW 735iL, 1971 Pontiac Trans Am 455 HO, 1976 Pontiac Formula 400
What do you mean? Is this the feature that, if you hold the shifter to the left, it downshifts as many gears as possible to give you best acceleration? I have w220 and will check it out if thats it.
Old 06-13-2003, 12:14 PM

Originally posted by Crankin
What do you mean? Is this the feature that, if you hold the shifter to the left, it downshifts as many gears as possible to give you best acceleration? I have w220 and will check it out if thats it.
Yes, its a supposingly AMG feature. But apparently the newer model has it.
Old 06-13-2003, 12:15 PM

Originally posted by Crankin
Yes, its supposingly an AMG feature. But apparently the newer non-AMG models have it.

Last edited by gmabm; 06-13-2003 at 11:24 PM.
Old 06-13-2003, 01:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 GL450
Are you talking about Touch shift transmissions? If so I have it on my (w208) CLK55, and it doesn't work very well. It's not like F1 shifting. Or even a stick shift for that matter.
It is not instant, it just over rides the pre-programmed shift points.
It prevents the transmission from shifting to the next gear. Giving the driver control of when to shift. Except it shifts after you want it to. It takes allot of patients to learn how to make the car shift when you want it to shift not when it wants to shift.
There is a delay after you up shift or down shift. Remember more RPM's doesn’t necessarily mean more horsepower or torque. The horsepower and torque work on a curve. To achieve the maximum HP and Torque while shifting, will take allot of track time and Dyno time to learn exactly where these optimum shift points are (Actually before they occur sense the system has a delayed response). Redline is not the optimum shift point. By the time you hit redline you are slowing down the momentum and have to regain it on the next shift. If you look at your Dyno charts you will see where your optimum horse power and torque really are. And by studying and allot of practice you can time your shifts to optimum shift point to gain more speed (If that’s what your looking for?).

Best of luck to ya,
Tim
Old 06-14-2003, 09:22 PM

I drive what I drive
what if i see an identical car like mines dyno?
Old 06-16-2003, 01:35 AM

CLK200K
Re: Optimum gear function

Originally posted by gmabm
Optimum gear function: This technology makes overtaking easier by automatically selecting the gear that ensures the best acceleration according to the speed and pre-stored characteristic engine data when the shift lever is moved to the left and briefly held in that position.

Vehicle Tested:

W168 = No
W203 = ?
CL203 = Yes
W208 = No
W209 = ?
W210 = No
W211 = ?

etc

Could you please try the above out?

Thanks.
have not tried this, as i have been on auto to run in. As this is still an auto tranny, it will have a lag.

As timster said, it's best to take a look at the dyno chart to get your optimum. I have a manual bmw that i use for the track and knowing this does help in cutting 30 seconds here and there around the track.