Performance Upgrades & Tuning Discuss general performance and tuning enhancements for your Mercedes-Benz.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

Dyno Smoothing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2003, 11:44 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Dyno Smoothing

Someone asked me about dyno smoothing not long ago and I lost the thread, so I'll answer the guestion I was given. I looked at a graph provided here and it was somewhat wavy and spiked upward, giving a greater number overall. What dyno smoothing will do is reduce the wavy spike like parts of the graph and give you the true numbers achieved by the parts/package installed on your car. There are other tricks available to the dyno operator that include: Adjusting tire pressure to a number much greater than manufacturers specifications, adjusting the graph smoothing, icing down components between pulls, removing air filters, etc. I always want my clients present for the baseline pulls and post modifications. They just love to be a part of the whole process and they get a first hand look at the "no bs" horsepower improvements.
Old 06-30-2003, 02:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm sure many tuners tweak results, that's why I like to have verified results from forum members but that doesn't come easily on these forums. Most trust the tuner's numbers. I've heard from a former tech at a large east coast MB tuner that they fudge the dyno results to their advantage.

All I can say is trust but verify. Get the expected gain in writing with a full refund if you don't get similar results.