Performance Upgrades & Tuning Discuss general performance and tuning enhancements for your Mercedes-Benz.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

Top Mounted Airbox Junk? Maybe So!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2003, 06:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG C43, 1999
Top Mounted Airbox Junk? Maybe So!

I am quickly coming to the conclusion that the top mounted airbox on my C43 is in the wrong position for making power.

I do not believe my previous C280 V6 motor with an airbox on the passanger side fender ever got the intake air as hot as the top mounted airbox.

I am also very dissapointed in the configurration of the stock C43 airbox with it's small volume and torturous airflow path.

Anyone dyno a newer V8 with and without the airbox removed?

I am willing to bet that removing the airbox is good for 6-8 Hp or more.

Any thoughts?

Jeff
Old 07-09-2003, 10:18 PM

1999 ML 430, BMW R1100s
You can take off that airbox and replace it with a stock CLK320 unit. It will fit right on, I think.

I don't think it will be any real advantage though.
Old 07-10-2003, 09:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2000 CLK430
EvoSport invested extensive R&D to look into this issue, i believe the results were that the top-mounted airbox, as strange and hot as it seems, is pretty damn efficient....

ive been looking for a cold-air intake for my CLK for some time, there really isnt any option thats going to add any horsepower, only lose it.....

ben, brad, vadim, correct me if i am wrong guys....thanks....
Old 07-12-2003, 04:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Tesla Model S
I'm about to completely cover my airbox and intake tubes with aluminum adhesive heat insulation. I first want to get a baseline dyno to see if I actually get any power out of this. I'll be sure to post info...
Old 07-12-2003, 12:49 PM

AMG C43, 1999
Josh K,

Covering your intake with Thermotech insulation will not actually add Hp but it can help reduce the heat soak to the intake manifold and thus reduce the incoming air temp's.

This will help your engine keep its ability to run more effciently and retain the capability to make the same Hp for a longer period of time.

Often the heat soak in an engine can reduce Hp by 10-20 Hp depending on the model.

http://www.club202.com/forums/showth...p?threadid=832

Jeff
Old 07-12-2003, 01:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Tesla Model S
Wow, thanks for the info! I even preserving the existing HP is enough reason to do it for me. I like the way my car feels in the morning :0)
Old 07-12-2003, 04:04 PM

I have talked to Simon about this. I built a "cold-air" intake using a E430 intake tube, moved the MAS to the front passenger side frame rail opening, ran 3" custom bent tubing to from the E430 tube to the MAS.

I then put a K&N air filter under the front bumper.

It at least gave me the same throttle response and power when the car was running just under 80 degrees Celius.

I agree that your HP increase may be modest, but it does at least give back the HP you lose because of heat.

I am building one now for my CLK55. The test run was fantastic. Must better when the car was hot on a 95 degree day.