Performance Upgrades & Tuning Discuss general performance and tuning enhancements for your Mercedes-Benz.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

Expenses ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2003, 01:52 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
91' FireBird
Talking Expenses ?

How much more do you benz guys pay for an upgrade the say the average Pony or botie owner ? I can't say I have seen a seriosuly tricked out or tweaked benz rolling around my area. Or is that because most of your mods don't have to be as seveir to do so ?

~BB~
Old 07-13-2003, 11:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Just like any other vehicle, it depends on the mod...

Perfomance mods for Benz (which, by the way, is a large range of motors/chassis styles) can range from as little as 600 for an enlarged SC crank pulley by a low level tuner, to $80,000 for a full Tuner conversion including a motor swap.

I think you can SC a V8 mustang for something like 3500(?), a V8 SC kit for a Benz is something like 15 - 24 k but that includes intercolling, tuning, reliability, and comfort.
Old 07-14-2003, 12:45 AM
Almost a Member!

91' FireBird
Oh...ok,well I figured it would be alot of the same,you know ? It's just whenever most of us hear of a european car in the real world IE: benz,bmw,etc... You only hear of a chip or intake nothing really big and they usually don't get very big results either. But as you have showed seems like the price tag for alot of these mods are WAYYYY out of alot of peoples budgets. But like you sad what you get in the long run is alot greater then what you would get with that of a camaro or pony....!!!!

~BB~

P.S

what is some of the mods the members around here have done and lets see some dyno numbers !
Old 07-14-2003, 09:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

indeed...

We can also go to Crower, JE, Manley, etc for internals...

Renntech has Cams for most models, we can get all types of chips, fuel map programs, limited slip diffs, lightweight flywheels, big bore throttle bodys, we can even go the old school route and port and polish, there are increased diameter SC crank pulleys, coilovers, adjustable struts, springs, other suspension etc... headers, hi-flow cats, many clean and classy exhuast systems...

The SC, turbo, and engine conversions are the most expensive...

A good list of tuners is...

Kleemann
Brabus
Carlsson
Renntech
Vaeth

and actually many more

Last car was a '92 Ford Ranger, converted to a full tube chassis, 4 wheel independent suspension, 4.0L V6 crate motor, manley internals, eaton SC, T-5 Man trans, completely custom, fast as hell, took turns like a bat out'a hell, 1/4 mile in 11 sec., full cage... etc...

And I am a hell of a lot prouder of my entry level MB with an entry level supension (springs and sways) and 4-point autocross harness.

My plan is to get block letters across my rear bumper rub strip saying "I hate your stupid f4cking SUV. Get it out of the left lane!"

If you don't have one, get one MBs are a great balance between comfort and perf... You just need to get the right one.
Old 07-14-2003, 11:39 PM
Almost a Member!

91' FireBird
I wish my pockets where that deep !

~BB~
Old 07-15-2003, 11:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

haha, so do I!

Search for information on SleeStack's project. There isn't much but it is going to be a doosie! Just search for his username and CLK and V12

There are others too. I hope to be one of them one day soon...
Old 07-16-2003, 05:41 PM
Almost a Member!

91' FireBird
Well you guys may own the road....but I STILL OWN THE OFFROAD !!!!!

~BB~
Old 07-16-2003, 08:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Blackbob
Well you guys may own the road....but I STILL OWN THE OFFROAD !!!!!

~BB~
Apparently, you have not encoutered a Unimog.
Old 07-16-2003, 10:22 PM
Almost a Member!

91' FireBird
Originally posted by Lynn
Apparently, you have not encoutered a Unimog.
SSShhhhhhh........Don't spoil the moment !!!! Anywho when I'm done with my rig I wanna build up this camaro and go chance down some benzs with AMG on the back !!!! If I'm lucky I'll run into a V12 !!!!!!

~BB~
Old 07-18-2003, 09:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

shhh, you can't own the off-road with independent suspension. My '00 Cherokee Sport is for owning shiet.

And you can bring that camaro to any auto-x in this area and my friend Lo-Buck will spank you with his 70hp, yes, 70hp gen 1 Civic.

You can own the straight line, and "For that 10 seconds or less at a time..."

There are a couple people in FL that auto-x their Mercs. See if you can meet up with them and you'll see the difference. Power, handling, unity with the machine, and grace. All wrapped in a "That's not a good car for racing" comment inducing sleek status symbol. For some reason it is always the guy in the M3 who places last who is the one saying these things???

btw, V12, the right gearing... WHOA! I had a 475hp Monte Carlo SS 400 small block/ 4-bolt main, worked th-400 trans, and when the beat up looking XJ12 left me holding myself, I was quoted saying, "no f4cking way?" My car was only mildly tuned but was still turning 11s. The jag was gone.

Seriously though, if you just want to mash the peddle and drive in a straight line, that's cool. But if you really want to know if you are a good driver, OR NOT, hit up an auto-x, and go again, and again. You learn real quick that changing lanes fast on the HWY, and mashing that peddle to the ground feels kinda senseless from then out.

btw, again, I want a Unimog or a Penz Bauer (sp?) SO bad. Those two are so hardcore. Mean as hell.

Last edited by nukblazi; 07-18-2003 at 09:53 AM.
Old 07-18-2003, 09:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Here is my glory pic... this is prior to any suspension mods. No mo lean...
Attached Thumbnails Expenses ?-iac_06-15_corner.jpg  
Old 07-18-2003, 10:04 PM
Almost a Member!

91' FireBird
Talking

Originally posted by nukblazi
shhh, you can't own the off-road with independent suspension. My '00 Cherokee Sport is for owning shiet.

And you can bring that camaro to any auto-x in this area and my friend Lo-Buck will spank you with his 70hp, yes, 70hp gen 1 Civic.

You can own the straight line, and "For that 10 seconds or less at a time..."

There are a couple people in FL that auto-x their Mercs. See if you can meet up with them and you'll see the difference. Power, handling, unity with the machine, and grace. All wrapped in a "That's not a good car for racing" comment inducing sleek status symbol. For some reason it is always the guy in the M3 who places last who is the one saying these things???

btw, V12, the right gearing... WHOA! I had a 475hp Monte Carlo SS 400 small block/ 4-bolt main, worked th-400 trans, and when the beat up looking XJ12 left me holding myself, I was quoted saying, "no f4cking way?" My car was only mildly tuned but was still turning 11s. The jag was gone.

Seriously though, if you just want to mash the peddle and drive in a straight line, that's cool. But if you really want to know if you are a good driver, OR NOT, hit up an auto-x, and go again, and again. You learn real quick that changing lanes fast on the HWY, and mashing that peddle to the ground feels kinda senseless from then out.

btw, again, I want a Unimog or a Penz Bauer (sp?) SO bad. Those two are so hardcore. Mean as hell.
PARTY POOPER !.....lol yeah yeah I know but heh,it sounded good anyway. I don't plan on using IS for any offroad venture may it be mudding or trailriding. As for auto-X well I been meaing to make a track only camaro for the job. But I would probably end up using a Z or a pony in stead justfor weight reasons. Either way you can never realy "OWN" anything because well someone is ALWAYS gonna beat you at it.

~BB~
Old 07-19-2003, 03:00 PM

Porsche Turbo Stage 4, Cayenne S ... gone C43, C32, ML55 & Ducati 999.
Originally posted by nukblazi
indeed...

A good list of tuners is...

Kleemann
Brabus
Carlsson
Renntech
Vaeth

and actually many more
...... and evosport
Old 07-19-2003, 05:22 PM
Almost a Member!

91' FireBird
Talking

Do you know if any of these guys do older benz's or if older benz's are worth it ?

~BB~